Disaster One dead as Sri Lankan town gripped by another bout of anti-Muslim violence - This is exactly how the LTTE got support from non-radicals

Sackity

Yo, Buddy. Still alive?
kiwifarms.net

(CNN)
At least one person was killed Monday amid renewed anti-Muslim violence in a Sri Lankan town targeted during last month's Easter Sunday terrorist attacks.

Police said 45-year-old Fauzul Amir was slashed with a sword as mobs attacked at least five mosques, causing damage and allegedly burning a Koran, in the town of Negombo, north of the capital Colombo. Amir later died in hospital.

A nationwide curfew was instituted following the violence, which comes after shops and businesses owned by Muslims were attacked last week in Negombo, which has a large Christian community.

More than 100 members of that community were killed after a suicide bomber walked into Negombo's St. Sebastian's Church on Easter Sunday. The National Tawheed Jamath (NTJ) Islamist extremist group, which aligned itself with ISIS, has been blamed for the attacks.

Leaders of Sri Lanka's Muslim minority, many of whom attempted to warn the authorities about some of the bombers ahead of the attacks, were bracing for a backlash following the bombings.

"We are very scared that there is going to be a backlash," Hilmy Ahamed, vice president of the Muslim Council of Sri Lanka, told CNN in the days after the Easter Sunday attacks. "It can happen anytime."
Chilling video of Sri Lankan bomb attack leaders emerges

https://kiwifarms.net/javascript%3Avoid(0);

Army and police units were deployed to mosques and other houses of worship around Sri Lanka in the wake of the bombings, and strict curfews were also imposed, containing any immediate backlash.

As restrictions have begun to lift, however, there is evidence that the anger and frustration over the attacks, which the government has admitted to ignoring repeated warnings about, has not dissipated.

A partial social media was reimposed this week following the attacks in Negombo. Nalaka Kaluwewa, director general of the country's Department of Government Information, said WhatsApp, Facebook and other platforms had been blocked to prevent "social unrest via hate messages and false information."

Many Sri Lankans and internet analysts criticized a similar ban imposed after Easter Sunday, which they said prevented people from accessing information and, contrary to the government's claims, actually exacerbated the spread of fake news and malicious rumors.

Christian leaders have urged their followers not to attack Muslims, with whom they have typically had strong relations, both religions being tiny minorities facing pressure from the Buddhist majority.

"Some parties are trying to instigate communal hatred to create religious clashes," Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith, Archbishop of Colombo, said last week. "I earnestly request the Catholics not to raise a hand against the Muslims. The Muslims are not behind this incident. Those behind this attack are misguided persons who are being manipulated by international forces to realize their political aims. According to the teachings of our religion, we should not harm anyone."

Clop

kiwifarms.net
"Some parties are trying to instigate communal hatred to create religious clashes," Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith, Archbishop of Colombo, said last week. "I earnestly request the Catholics not to raise a hand against the Muslims. The Muslims are not behind this incident. Those behind this attack are misguided persons who are being manipulated by international forces to realize their political aims. According to the teachings of our religion, we should not harm anyone."
Either you take the harm, do the harm, or have others take and do the harm for you so you can smack your lips with chicken grease and pretend that the world works black and white like that. Three guesses as to which category this guy belongs to.

• DRINK!
Reactions: FierceBrosnan

Sackity

Yo, Buddy. Still alive?
kiwifarms.net
Either you take the harm, do the harm, or have others take and do the harm for you so you can smack your lips with chicken grease and pretend that the world works black and white like that. Three guesses as to which category this guy belongs to.
It's just typical Sinhalese autism. I wouldn't be surprised if the Radical Islamic insurgency gets a new funding stream from muslims who are being ostracised and targeted because of their religion. The Black July anti-Tamil pogrom and riots in '88 kickstarted the civil war, after Tamils were persecuted en-masse after the LTTE ambushed a military patrol.

You'd think that they'd have learned how counter-productive this is after 3 decades of terrorism, but they haven't. Lifting the social media ban was clearly a mistake. This is just going to make the counter-terrorism effort much more difficult.

Testaclese Maximus

as friendly as a rabbit
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Police said 45-year-old Fauzul Amir was slashed with a sword as mobs attacked at least five mosques, causing damage and allegedly burning a Koran, in the town of Negombo, north of the capital Colombo. Amir later died in hospital.
He should have thought about that before he let terrorists he had no control over commit acts of terrorism he had nothing to do with.

Mewtwo_Rain

Drown in the cesspool of darkness
kiwifarms.net
I've said it before and I'll say it again: When a group creates and fosters resentment by protectionism, and repeat attacks on out-groups sooner or later those out groups will target you back. "Innocent Muslim" or not they should be glad the angry mobs haven't went full on removal process.

It sounds like guilt by association in a vacuum, but I'd have to disagree. Usually guilty by association is built on blaming a person with ties to another over a singular event/idea/etc. (How many here use guilt by association by this metric with progressives, the modern left, or modern democrats or how about general supremacist? Nuance wise I think the two are two different concepts when it comes to repeat actions of a group: It may still be fallacious but it's a different concept). This is clearly not the case, not saying it's justified but like I said at the start of the post, Muslims have fostered and created resentment around their group, they've broken a lot of straws and now the camel's back has given way.

On that note Muslims should stop saying "They fear backlash" in return for terrorist attacks for/from other Muslims, it detracts from the actual victims who are dead and makes them even more of a target and breeds further resentment. Imagine someone accidentally runs over someone then at the funeral of the victim begins yammering on the news about how they fear the family will retaliate for said death. Yeah, it makes you look like an asshole regardless of it not being the intent. (optics matter ) Especially when it seems like you're running to the news media to spread that message every single time in every single country where a terrorist attack from said group occurs.

hash-slinging slasher

kiwifarms.net
Many Sri Lankans and internet analysts criticized a similar ban imposed after Easter Sunday, which they said prevented people from accessing information and, contrary to the government's claims, actually exacerbated the spread of fake news and malicious rumors.
Woah. Are you telling me that government censorship and restricting access to information helped cause the spread of conspiracy theories. Who could've seen that coming. Surely censorship, redactions, and the unnecessary tweaking of details by the government, police, or press has NEVER caused people to try to connect the dots on their own.

I know a Muslim kid 18 or he seemed like a normal guy until South Park was going to show a drawing of
Mohammed (not a prophet).

Suddenly he was mad about it and said "we protect our religion" or something like that. So a normal dude, except he's glad people will murder you for offending him.

So it's a little more nuanced than generic guilt by association. Muslims have to stop letting the terrorists be a legitimate part of their religious politics.

Chaos Theorist

It would be spiteful To put jellyfish in a trifle
kiwifarms.net
I know a Muslim kid 18 or he seemed like a normal guy until South Park was going to show a drawing of
Mohammed (not a prophet).

Suddenly he was mad about it and said "we protect our religion" or something like that. So a normal dude, except he's glad people will murder you for offending him.

So it's a little more nuanced than generic guilt by association. Muslims have to stop letting the terrorists be a legitimate part of their religious politics.
Muslims are fine as long as you avoid the subjects of gays and Jews

• Optimistic
Reactions: StyrofoamFridge

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
Woah. Are you telling me that government censorship and restricting access to information helped cause the spread of conspiracy theories. Who could've seen that coming. Surely censorship, redactions, and the unnecessary tweaking of details by the government, police, or press has NEVER caused people to try to connect the dots on their own.
or they just call realitiy conspiracy theories?

PantsFreeZone

Smartest monkey on the spinning space rock
kiwifarms.net
I bet the pedophiles in the media and political elite here in America are getting nervous watching their fellow child fuckers hacked to pieces by swords.

Now, they know how the other Middle East leaders felt watching Muammar Gaddafi get a sword in the ass.

Ron /pol/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intolerance_(film)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've said it before and I'll say it again: When a group creates and fosters resentment by protectionism, and repeat attacks on out-groups sooner or later those out groups will target you back. "Innocent Muslim" or not they should be glad the angry mobs haven't went full on removal process.

It sounds like guilt by association in a vacuum, but I'd have to disagree. Usually guilty by association is built on blaming a person with ties to another over a singular event/idea/etc. (How many here use guilt by association by this metric with progressives, the modern left, or modern democrats or how about general supremacist? Nuance wise I think the two are two different concepts when it comes to repeat actions of a group: It may still be fallacious but it's a different concept). This is clearly not the case, not saying it's justified but like I said at the start of the post, Muslims have fostered and created resentment around their group, they've broken a lot of straws and now the camel's back has given way.

On that note Muslims should stop saying "They fear backlash" in return for terrorist attacks for/from other Muslims, it detracts from the actual victims who are dead and makes them even more of a target and breeds further resentment. Imagine someone accidentally runs over someone then at the funeral of the victim begins yammering on the news about how they fear the family will retaliate for said death. Yeah, it makes you look like an asshole regardless of it not being the intent. (optics matter ) Especially when it seems like you're running to the news media to spread that message every single time in every single country where a terrorist attack from said group occurs.
The person killed had nothing to do with the attack, you might as well apply the same logic to mass shootings and kill all the straight white people.

The person killed had nothing to do with the attack, you might as well apply the same logic to mass shootings and kill all the straight white people.
The mass shooting/white men angle is a statistical lie, it's just not disproportionately non-white like regular murder.

That said, yeah, killing muslims for the actions of other muslims is idiotic. Asking other muslims to stop letting terrorists enforce their religious beliefs on others isn't completely unreasonable. We should definitely quickly speak out when muslims in any way act like political violence is justified.

And I have no problem applying that last part to any group. No political violence is justified.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino