One Piece - I'm Gonna be the Pirate King!

neural

It is what it is 'cept it ain't what it used to be
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
one piece header.jpg

I've been pondering making this thread for a good while now because I felt that my constant sperging kinda derailed the general Anime/Manga thread, however, my procrastination was always greater and more enveloping, but the current manga arc's hype proved far too great for me to resist.

So here you go, this thread is basically for discussing, theorizing..etc. on all things OP. Just keep any manga spoilers in spoiler brackets so things don't get ruined for the anime-only heathens (lol).

Tagging in some people that are (probably) fans of the series: @Kari Kamiya @SteelPlatedHeart @trombonista @LMR365

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
I'm just about finishing up Zou in the anime, slowly pick-picking at it even though I could literally just catch up within a week if I push myself into it (and it's been almost a year since I got into the series, too). While I'm excited to see Wholecake Island for reals, it saddens me I won't get to see Usopp in the anime for a while. Least I got Brook.

Man, it's been quite the ride this past year, I swear. Like it's been a long time since I was last this invested in a new series, and I typically go through "phases". I've noticed I can develop some form of obsession or some shit and it'd last for about a few months or so before it slows down. If it lasts longer than six months, it's because something about it clicked. Something about One Piece clicked during Skypeia, and it's still going strong (despite my procrastination with the anime--don't think you can blame me with its shitty pacing because goddammit Toei). I think it's helped that my brothers just want to talk One Piece to me whenever they can, so we just talk about it and come up with scenarios, "what ifs", our own predictions. It's been nice.

Reactions: Beth

TenMilesWide

It's a communist plot!
kiwifarms.net
Haven't watched the anime in years, I think somewhere around water 7? Read the manga as it comes out though.

The entire whole cake arc felt off to me. Like the good guys were getting fucked up by the baddies because oda wanted to show how strong the baddies are, but really our heroes were just jobbing, their hearts weren't in it until the end.

neural

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm just about finishing up Zou in the anime, slowly pick-picking at it even though I could literally just catch up within a week if I push myself into it (and it's been almost a year since I got into the series, too). While I'm excited to see Wholecake Island for reals, it saddens me I won't get to see Usopp in the anime for a while. Least I got Brook.
One thing I really enjoyed about WCI arc is that it restored my respect for the non-Monster Trio Strawhats, like, I like the characters themselves, but I wouldn't really respect them as an effective fighting force beyond kicking some cannon fodder ass. This completely changed after this arc.

Man, it's been quite the ride this past year, I swear. Like it's been a long time since I was last this invested in a new series, and I typically go through "phases". I've noticed I can develop some form of obsession or some shit and it'd last for about a few months or so before it slows down. If it lasts longer than six months, it's because something about it clicked. Something about One Piece clicked during Skypeia, and it's still going strong (despite my procrastination with the anime--don't think you can blame me with its shitty pacing because goddammit Toei).
Yeah Toei (and Fuji TV) have kinda fucked up this series in some patches..

I personally made a deal with a friend of mine, where I would read GoT and he would watch/read OP, but I honestly couldn't go through with it, and he cock-blocked me in response lol, stopping right at the beginning of the Arlong arc.. *sigh*

I think it's helped that my brothers just want to talk One Piece to me whenever they can, so we just talk about it and come up with scenarios, "what ifs", our own predictions. It's been nice.
If they're manga readers, then I can guess that they're probably pushing you to catch-up faster, Reverie has been simply amazing, and this week's bombshells are gamechangers..

Haven't watched the anime in years, I think somewhere around water 7? Read the manga as it comes out though.

The entire whole cake arc felt off to me. Like the good guys were getting fucked up by the baddies because oda wanted to show how strong the baddies are, but really our heroes were just jobbing, their hearts weren't in it until the end.
I think you're really under-estimating how dire the circumstances were, the arc started out as a simple infiltration/rescue mission, but quickly became more complex with an assassination attempt..etc. Keep in mind that the Strawhats in there were basically the "support unit" of sorts, rather than the main fighters of the crew.
Mr Morj did a good video on the overall arc, the video is relatively free of RogersBase-style shouting and autism:

I personally thought that the escape, while a bit too stretched out and belabored in parts, was pretty convincing and harrowing enough, this is a Yonko and her army, who are all playing firmly on home soil vs a ragtag group that clearly isn't equipped to do battle with them, so it's very believable that they would only escape by the skin of their teeth.

Only thing I kinda disliked was the resolution to the Katakuri/Luffy fight, don't get me wrong, I think it's an awesome fight and will be pretty great to watch in the anime (which has kinda improved lately), I just think that Oda kinda fucked up the pacing there and realized he had to finish the fight early, hence the asspull-y moment. I am guessing that the anime's tendency to stretch out things and add content will probably fix that.

And yeah, that Thousand Sunny fake-out is pure shit, even if it reads better in tankobons

Katakuri is the best character in this series hands down
:semperfidelis: Katakuri is most definitely best nigga.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
One thing I really enjoyed about WCI arc is that it restored my respect for the non-Monster Trio Strawhats, like, I like the characters themselves, but I wouldn't really respect them as an effective fighting force beyond kicking some cannon fodder ass. This completely changed after this arc.
Interesting. After Alabasta, I never once thought they never could stand up for themselves in a fight. Granted, they were all still learning and that's something that takes time to do, but still, it's good to hear that the two-year timeskip is actually paying off.

I personally made a deal with a friend of mine, where I would read GoT and he would watch/read OP, but I honestly couldn't go through with it, and he cock-blocked me in response lol, stopping right at the beginning of the Arlong arc.. *sigh*
That sucks, man, though... a deal is a deal. But still, he got that small taste of it. Chances are sometime in the future he'll try it again, maybe.

If they're manga readers, then I can guess that they're probably pushing you to catch-up faster, Reverie has been simply amazing, and this week's bombshells are gamechangers..
They were pushing me into One Piece long before they started reading the manga tbh. It's kinda funny, too, because at roughly about the same time when I was in college, a classmate of mine got into One Piece and was binging the crap out of it (anime hadn't reached Marineford yet if I remember right), and she was telling me all sorts of things about it, especially about Robin. I was half-listening at times, didn't really understand what was going on and I didn't think it was all that appealing at first. To this day I'm still kicking myself for not starting it around that time, but maybe I should stop doing that since I apparently found the right time for me to start it. Funny how things work out.

I have a feeling like I'm going to end up writing out some blog-esque comment one day about my journey with One Piece after enough time has passed lol. But as sappy as that sounds, I'm pretty sure One Piece is the cure to my depression and it helped me get on a plane for the first time in my life, weird as that sounds (well, I mean, it partly helped). It's one thing to hear about planes and see it on TV and the like, but it's another to get on one yourself and just travel outside of your comfort zone. But anyway, I had of yet to make up my mind about going out-of-state with my brother to see his twin graduate basic, and I mainly just wanted to know exactly what goes on because I'm super anal like that and want to know these things ahead of time so I don't feel like I'm going to miss anything. So in attempt to psych myself into it or not, I had my mom explain as much of it to me as possible while she lamented the pre-9/11 days because apparently airports were so much more fun back then.

Anyway, to draw parallels to One Piece, she literally ended up saying it'd be an adventure to have with my brother, and immediately I thought back to Hiluluk telling Chopper to go out and see the world one day and just have an adventure. It's fucking autistic and I'm a pussy, I'll fully admit it, but that alone made up my mind to hop on a few planes with my brother and head out for a few days. Turned out I have air sickness (and so that would mean I could have sea sickness, the pirate's life not for me then *sigh*), and the first day didn't go as planned, but hey, I went out and did it thanks to a short walking, talking reindeer having a dream (before it went to shit for a bit in-story).

*rates self :autism:*

LMR365

Nicolas Cage holding a birthday cake.
kiwifarms.net
Tagged lol.

What did you think of the latest chapter/episode? I thought both were quite good, especially the manga.
Manga chapter was fucking bowling in my opinion. One of Oda's best work yet.

• Agree
Reactions: neural

heathercho

あかんで !
kiwifarms.net
I'm not like a massive fan or watch it that often anymore, but I used to really like it.
Reverse Mountain arc was the best. I don't care what anyone says - the mountain was in reverse. 2 weeks of episodes stuck on that damn waterfall was wonderful.

I also went to the opening of the Tokyo Tower One Piece... thing. Completely unrelated to the show I guess, but I enjoyed it a whole lot, even though I'm not a hardcore fan. I bought a Luffy straw hat and I don't even regret it, I can wear it with normal outfits and feel like part of the Mugiwara crew.

Sperglord Dante

Useless Guato
kiwifarms.net
I love One Piece, and read the manga religiously every week. My favorite character is Robin and I resent how she's gotten the shaft for a long time now, considering she's the only living person who can read the poneghlyps and a such she should be a key character in the series.

Oda is one of the best writers, if not the absolute best, when it comes to world building (his artwork, character design and dialogue isn't shabby at all, either). The Reverie Arc would be considered filler or exposition in any other series, but in One Piece it keeps the reader on the edge of his seat, and it's because the build up to it has been so good.

I'm glad I only started reading One Piece a couple of years ago. I don't think a younger me would've appreciated OP as much (yes, I'm aware the target audience is 8-14 year old boys) as I do, specially because it feels like we're in the final stretch as of now. The manga will probably run for another 10 years, but at least we know the One Piece is real, how to find it and who's standing in the way of the Straw Hats.

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
It's the weirdest thing, I've been a One Piece fan for a long time, at least since the 4Kids dub came out (don't judge, I was just a kid and I didn't know any better) and yet I've never gotten that far into it. I've never gotten past the Alabasta arc in the anime and the farthest I've read in the manga would probably be the end of Drum Island. Granted, I haven't been consistent with reading or watching (big understatement) and I do really want to catch up, at least with the manga (I've heard how painfully slow the anime is). Though with the rate I'm going, the series will probably be over by the time I'm caught up.

neural

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Post your favorite OP moment.
There are too many to count, but I've been revisiting these videos lately:

Also, this isn't a moment per se, but the introduction of the Supernovas is one of my favorite sequences in the series, it felt like something out of a crime film, which is my favorite genre:

It's the weirdest thing, I've been a One Piece fan for a long time, at least since the 4Kids dub came out (don't judge, I was just a kid and I didn't know any better) and yet I've never gotten that far into it. I've never gotten past the Alabasta arc in the anime and the farthest I've read in the manga would probably be the end of Drum Island. Granted, I haven't been consistent with reading or watching (big understatement) and I do really want to catch up, at least with the manga (I've heard how painfully slow the anime is). Though with the rate I'm going, the series will probably be over by the time I'm caught up.
Personally, I'd watch the anime until the end of the Marineford saga (episode 516), then go with the manga because it's at that point that the anime pacing takes a huge nosedive in terms of speed.

P.S. Don't tell anyone you're catching up, I've seen that people have a nasty collective habit of spoiling some really amazing moments.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino