Open Source Software Community - it's about ethics in Code of Conducts

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

Stock Image Photographer

Commander of the Canadian Nazi KKK League
kiwifarms.net
It's run by SJWs so you can't trust anything that the "community" says, period.
Oh yeah, I didn't want to get into that because there's so much bullshit there. Klabnik, in addition to being the founder of the Rust Evangelist Strike Force™️, is also a supporter of violent antifa tactics in the tech world. Ashley Williams is such a trainwreck that I'm almost certain that she's been discussed to death in this thread before, and she's still on the Rust team (I'm pretty sure posting her name will get your post automatically removed on the Rust subreddit). In the face of all that, their adoption of Corey Ehmke's Contributor Covenant is small potatoes.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
The best thing about current opensource for me is that nobody seems to care about the budding infrastructure catastrophe which is probably not caught by faster hardware anymore in the same way it was in the last 20 years in the forseeable future. It's about gender identity and feels. That we are also at a point where computers encrypting their own RAM is seen as a good idea because you trust your rube-goldberg machine solution of open software stack just that much is actually not bad at all. It's perfectly fine that components inside your computer communicate like allied countries do in war times and it's not indicative of underlying design issues, like at all. No, there is no problem as long as no C program contains the line "//this is a exceptional solution"

Stock Image Photographer

kiwifarms.net
The best thing about current opensource for me is that nobody seems to care about the budding infrastructure catastrophe which is probably not caught by faster hardware anymore in the same way it was in the last 20 years in the forseeable future. It's about gender identity and feels. That we are also at a point where computers encrypting their own RAM is seen as a good idea because you trust your rube-goldberg machine solution of open software stack just that much is actually not bad at all. It's perfectly fine that components inside your computer communicate like allied countries do in war times and it's not indicative of underlying design issues, like at all. No, there is no problem as long as no C program contains the line "//this is a exceptional solution"
Are you obliquely talking about RISC-V or am I just too dumb to understand what you're getting at?

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
Are you obliquely talking about RISC-V or am I just too dumb to understand what you're getting at?
Nah, it's ok. I was just screwing around with some software I needed for a piece of hardware and was appalled at the clown car of dependencies it brought with it for a relatively simple task and then I happened to read this thread and since the software was open source it was enough to trigger my venting as the priorities placement in this entire community really feel kinda messed up, as I wouldn't be in this situation with this software if they cared as much about bloat as about pronouns. It still might not have been the right thread or the right time for this venting. Sorry! Carry on.

Stock Image Photographer

kiwifarms.net
Nah, it's ok. I was just screwing around with some software I needed for a piece of hardware and was appalled at the clown car of dependencies it brought with it for a relatively simple task and then I happened to read this thread and since the software was open source it was enough to trigger my venting as the priorities placement in this entire community really feel kinda messed up, as I wouldn't be in this situation with this software if they cared as much about bloat as about pronouns. It still might not have been the right thread or the right time for this venting. Sorry! Carry on.
That sounds pretty on-topic to me. Just a month ago I was going over the instructions for a security key I was setting up, and I notice there's an optional section for using a dedicated RNG chip called OneRNG. The amount of packages I would have needed to install to use that chip was insane.

AlexGroans

HACKED by the Globalists
kiwifarms.net
That’s the absolute state of modern-age programming. Too many dependencies and too much handwaving at every level. The fact that the mantra “The machine will do the rest” has infected programming is tragic

clownworld

kiwifarms.net
There's also the fact that Steve Klabnik (the book author) is super woke to the point where he thinks there needs to be a violent tech antifa, and was involved when Moldbug got banned from a tech conference.
Side note, Steve is essentially gay married to Ashley Williams, of the Node.js CoC meltdown from a few years ago.

The sad thing is that it pretty much is the former. It's like a drop-in replacement for C++, but faster and not gay.
I assure you the leadership in rust is assuredly gay and I'm fairly sure the governance of the language will likely lead to a C++/ECMAScript endgame given its susceptibility to outside design contribs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConcernedAnon

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Side note, Steve is essentially gay married to Ashley Williams, of the Node.js CoC meltdown from a few years ago.
Ever notice the people screaming loudest for CoCs are reprehensible scumbags who do nothing but create drama and act like complete pieces of shit who would be sanctioned under any CoC imaginable, even their own?

Stock Image Photographer

kiwifarms.net
Does anyone have any more info on this? I see it come up all the time, but I can't tell what or where this is happening?
The problem with finding this info is that it is all internal drama. However, it does sometimes leak into the public sphere in unexpected ways.

About four months ago, a PR was made by github user kpp to the Romio (a collection of async network primitives) repository suggesting that tokio, one of the competing async frameworks, be added as a possible alternative library in the project's README. Prior to this, the only alternative listed was async-std, the other competing async framework. This is significant because withoutboats (WB), the owner of the Romio repository, is both one of the Rust language designers and a close personal friend to several people on the async-std team. As you can see from the archive of the PR I linked earlier, people interpreted the large amount of support for the PR as spam, and it was eventually closed with WB basically calling everyone who joined in a piece of shit, even unironically saying "My code is written for people of better character than you, go away."

In the middle of the PR progressing, kpp, who goes by rproskuryakov on reddit, made a post to the rust subreddit following an end-of-the-year theme where people said what they'd like to be improved about rust or its community in 2020. kpp said that he'd prefer that language maintainers actually follow the CoC when interacting with plebes, and the community mostly agreed with him. If you'll notice, I had to link to removeddit because about 15% of comments were removed by mods. The drama here is mostly spergs arguing about what constitutes good faith, but WB, who goes by desiringmachines on reddit, shows up part of the way through to put his foot in his mouth. What's really interesting about this post is that the people who commented in it who agree with kpp and have their github account somehow associated with their reddit account all start getting blocked by WB on github. This means that they can't comment on the PR, they can't interact with the Romio repository, and they can't interact with any repo that falls under an organization that WB is a member of. The same happens to anyone who used a thumbs-up rating on that PR. Since WB is a language designer for rust, that means he's a part of a lot of rust organizations on github. As a result of this, huge swathes of rust programmers are now unable to contribute to popular projects like warp. Since this incident, WB has set his membership in all his organizations to private, so it's impossible to know how many repos people were locked out of. Additionally, people reported that they were also getting blocked from the async-rs organization, which contains async-std along with a few other libraries, despite WB not being a part of that org. It is highly likely that WB convinced his friends at async-std to block anyone who spoke out against him, all because one person wanted to make sure tokio got a mention where it was relevant.

About a month later, a post was made to the rust subreddit announcing the release of async-std 1.0. A few people, still upset at the way they had been treated by the async-std team, came out and made public complaints, mentioning other repos they had been banned from. These comments were again removed by the moderators. When I contacted the mods as to why this was being kept quiet, I received this in response (some information has been removed to guard against doxing) :
rust_mod_message.png

In summary: We'll probably never know what the true level of animosity is between the tokio and async-std teams, but if it's enough to get random people banned from many github repos for no reason, then it's probably approaching maximum levels of autism.

As a side note, I realized I never backed up my claim of name squatting for crates. Here's the full list and a partial archive of all the crates one dude named swmon has claimed without contributing a line of code. He has zero activity on his github; it's like he's a ghost.

Last edited:

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
and I'm fairly sure the governance of the language will likely lead to a C++/ECMAScript endgame given its susceptibility to outside design contribs.
Can you tell more about this, especially the C++ part? I'm not up on what goes on in the standards committees.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
When was this written? Using 20mb of ram for hello world is sooooo 2011.
You gotta add another zero to reflect today's results (And that's significantly lowballing it)

Can you tell more about this, especially the C++ part? I'm not up on what goes on in the standards committees.
I think they're talking about all the stupid shit bolted to C++ to appease morons like lambdas and what have you.

clownworld

kiwifarms.net
Design committees with relatively 'open' participation that favors those who have time to work through the committee politics to get language extensions and features added. The fact that there is career opportunity and community clout to getting 'your' feature added means you inevitably end up with a huge language, and many different ways to do the same thing. Committees can't say no the way a BDFL can. Yes that feature is nice, but does it add to the whole? Hard question agree on.

The end game becomes: it's much harder to work with others in the same language, because everyone has their preferred subset of the language. A common complaint about C++ is that there is so much variance between how one can use the language tools and features, two different C++ teams might as well be programming in a different language. Same problem with JS/ECMA script. I could be off, but Rust looks susceptible to this pattern given the Bolsheviks they have put in charge.

Last edited:

clownworld

kiwifarms.net
A few stale things. I see so many small gay takes throughout the week, I'm going to try to start collecting them here. Maybe it will be interessting on the whole.

Follow up with zkat, formerly of NPM and internet mean girl, now at MS working on NuGet, showing true colors on the reg:

zkat.png

Also, a phenomenon that has been getting worse every year: Microsoft/Google/Facebook/Startup "Advocates". They basically hire e-girls to shill. Typical results ensue:

dumb.png

dumber.png

lol.jpeg

lololo.jpeg

Here a start Chloe, maybe stop posting so many sexually accentuated pictures and videos of yourself online. Oh wait, its your job and you actually do it for the attention and get embarrassed when someone articulates the appeal of the fruits of your labor.

"deploys before boys"... yeah you aren't deploying shit

Last edited:

clownworld

kiwifarms.net
Oh here's another one that flew by not that long ago:

Guy who's helped bloat the crap out of Chrome and the DOM api in general complaining about how shitty JS apps are / are contributing to climate change. MIC DROP! GHASP!

Remember, this is the dude who manage to get his shitty JS framework (web components) added to the actual browser DOM where it can never die a proper JS framework death, and also has a hobby of taking the oppressed google chrome developer angle. Look, we're all for getting rid of shitty JS apps, you aren't helping Alex. Show some fucking humility.

zomg-climate-chagne.png

Probably don't even need to archive these, these people can spout bullshit with impunity.

Last edited:
Tags
None