Opinions that are rational but not everyone may agree with -

Senior Lexmechanic

Shitposting displeases the Omnissiah
kiwifarms.net
Stopping anyone about to commit suicide is not equivalent to saving them. The only people you "save" from suicide are those who are below the age of consent and those with mental disabilities (in some cases, euthanasia might be good for them), removing them, we can now deduce that those who are suicidal are reasonable people, no different to you and I. When someone is on a ledge of a building, having made up their mind to kill themselves, there are two ways of stopping them, the first is to change their mind and the second is to pull them away from the ledge. In short, to stop someone from committing suicide, you either manipulate their mind or you physically coerce them not to commit suicide.

Suicide is a rational conclusion one reaches when they assess their current situation. When someone has made up their mind that they are going to kill themselves, the people around him stop him for various reasons, such as 'life is worth living' or 'there is so much to live for'. Why would you stop a rational man or woman from killing themselves? Their problems might not be worth dying for and are easily solved, but the option they have assessed to be the best is to commit suicide. Who are we to question their reasoning at that point in their lives and have the gall to tell them that they should not kill themselves? Are we better than those who are suicidal? It is their choice to commit suicide, let them do it in any manner they see fit, as long as it does not interfere with other people's business. From a utilitarian point-of-view, when you let someone commit suicide, you save him and his family from the enormous financial burden of therapy and anti-depressants. The cost of one funeral is lower than the overall cost of medical bills one will accrue over coming months and the family must be able to find solace in the fact fulfilling the dead man's wishes of being forgotten.

When someone is named in a suicide note, the people named must be able to cope with the facts with any manner they see fit, some of them might kill themselves from the guilt, but then again, who are we to stop them?

When people say suicidal people are selfish their reasoning goes as follows: when you kill yourself, you are selfish for depriving the people around you the memories you can make with them and giving them the burden of your death for the rest of their lives. Is it also not unreasonable to ascertain that to let someone deny the right to end their own lives, the person stopping another person from committing suicide is not only prolonging their pain and suffering that they feel, but is also removing their inherent right to pursue their own happiness? Must they also manipulate the suicidal person's mind by giving him drugs and let the suicidal man shoulder the costs of medicine he did not want to take in the first place? Who is more selfish in this situation? In the end the more selfish will be those who stop people from killing themselves. One must be able to have the freedom to choose what they can do to their lives, ending their own life is one of them. The only way to stop a person from killing themselves is to let the suicidal man change their minds ON THEIR OWN from committing suicide, they are also reasonable and rational people such as you and I, who is to say that they might change their minds in the end and ultimately decide not to commit suicide?

TL;DR
Don't stop people from killing themselves because FREEDOM
Most people who commit suicide suffer from bipolar disorder, depression, or some other form of mental illness that significantly impairs the ability to make a rational decision. The number of circumstances in which suicide is rational is very small.

cuddle striker

please wait what is your genotype
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ehh I believe that pedophiles who been convicted with evidence of them committing the crime should be away from any area that has any kids completely and monitored heavily when using the internet.

I didn't think people would disagree with this view but I have had people disagree with this because it was violating their privacy and personal rights and they served their time.

I am on the camp still of "they can go fuck themselves they raped kids," but I digress.
I like the idea of entire little towns in the middle of crappy areas, trailers, which is where they've got to live. no children allowed within a mile of that town, ten miles if you can manage it. no cars, only a public shuttle. they can run their own little bodega or something for groceries and have their own self-funded library.
everything gets inspected monthly on a surprise date by parole.

forever.

no wifi.

Reactions: SpergPatrol

Senior Lexmechanic

kiwifarms.net
Would giving them with drugs solve their problem?
If the issue is purely neurochemical (for example, an inability to produce proper amounts of the neurotransmitter serotonin can cause depression), then yes, in the same way "drugs" can, for example, allow someone with diabetes to live a fairly normal life. If the issue, as it often is, is the result of neurological and psychological factors, a combination of therapy and medication can help treat the issue.
Counterpoint: do you believe someone who decides to shoot himself because he believes the Devil is going to make him rape babies if he doesn't is engaging in rational thought?

Mr1930s

Bumbling Fuckhead
kiwifarms.net
Counterpoint: do you believe someone who decides to shoot himself because he believes the Devil is going to make him rape babies if he doesn't is engaging in rational thought?
As I typed in my original post, the only people you should stop from killing themselves are those below the age of consent and those who are mentally disabilities.

Most people who commit suicide suffer from bipolar disorder, depression, or some other form of mental illness that significantly impairs the ability to make a rational decision. The number of circumstances in which suicide is rational is very small.
I should revise my original point by making it shorter: Anyone who is suicidal that do not belong in the two categories I stated above should be to free to kill themselves as long as it doesn't impair the business of other people, kill yourself in the privacy of your home.

JektheDumbass

kiwifarms.net
I like the idea of entire little towns in the middle of crappy areas, trailers, which is where they've got to live. no children allowed within a mile of that town, ten miles if you can manage it. no cars, only a public shuttle. they can run their own little bodega or something for groceries and have their own self-funded library.
everything gets inspected monthly on a surprise date by parole.

forever.

no wifi.
They tried that, people pitched a bitch until they changed the laws. Now sex offenders can't live near each other either.

Senior Lexmechanic

kiwifarms.net
As I typed in my original post, the only people you should stop from killing themselves are those below the age of consent and those who are mentally disabilities.

I should revise my original point by making it shorter: Anyone who is suicidal that do not belong in the two categories I stated above should be to free to kill themselves as long as it doesn't impair the business of other people, kill yourself in the privacy of your home.
I frankly believe that anyone who can pass a psychiatric evaluation showing that they are of sound mind should have the right to doctor-assisted euthanasia: there are too many things that could go wrong with killing yourself "at home". Of course, this comes with the corollary that the only reasons I honestly think would be legitimate for euthanasia are if someone is dying from a terminal wasting illness or suffers from some horribly debilitating medical condition that has no cure.

Mr1930s

Bumbling Fuckhead
kiwifarms.net
I frankly believe that anyone who can pass a psychiatric evaluation showing that they are of sound mind should have the right to doctor-assisted euthanasia: there are too many things that could go wrong with killing yourself "at home". Of course, this comes with the corollary that the only reasons I honestly think would be legitimate for euthanasia are if someone is dying from a terminal wasting illness or suffers from some horribly debilitating medical condition that has no cure.
There's no need for psychiatric evaluations and doctor-assisted euthanasia for those who have sound mind. Let them choose which method of suicide they prefer, regardless of the pain they will experience in their final moments.

Jeremy Galt

I seen it on TV
kiwifarms.net
As The Last Of The Old Ones, I have no opinions, just a reality based view of everything. I am, therefore, never wrong, and anyone who disagrees with me is obviously not of sound mind.

This makes everything surprisingly simple and easy to understand...... ??

You can exercise your autonomy over your own body AFTER I decide if I agree with your decision.

Hey, most pro life people are all for abortion, with the corollary that the only legitimate reason for abortion is a threat to the health of the mother.

MadDamon

MAD DAMON
kiwifarms.net
You can exercise your autonomy over your own body AFTER I decide if I agree with your decision.

Hey, most pro life people are all for abortion, with the corollary that the only legitimate reason for abortion is a threat to the health of the mother.
I though they don't mind if it was a rape baby back in the day. Is it still the case nowadays?

Senior Lexmechanic

kiwifarms.net
There's no need for psychiatric evaluations and doctor-assisted euthanasia for those who have sound mind. Let them choose which method of suicide they prefer, regardless of the pain they will experience in their final moments.
  1. You cannot evaluate if someone is of sound mind without a psychiatric examination.
  2. So you believe someone should be allowed to shoot their own brains out with a shotgun in front of their wife and kids after screaming "YOU MADE ME DO THIS"?
There is no perfect libertarian society and your facetious point also applies to preventing the totally psychotic from killing themselves, or violently masturbating in the public square.

Mr1930s

Bumbling Fuckhead
kiwifarms.net
  1. You cannot evaluate if someone is of sound mind without a psychiatric examination.
  2. So you believe someone should be allowed to shoot their own brains out with a shotgun in front of their wife and kids after screaming "YOU MADE ME DO THIS"?
You don't need to evaluate them, they should be allowed to kill themselves with whatever method they want.

Senior Lexmechanic

kiwifarms.net
You don't need to evaluate them, they should be allowed to kill themselves with whatever method they want.
  1. Then you don't truly believe "anyone with a sound mind should be allowed to kill themselves". You believe "anyone should be allowed to kill themselves regardless of their state of mind".
  2. So if someone wants to kill themselves by driving their family off of a cliff, they should be allowed to do so. So what you believe is even less defensible, and is tantamount to "all crime should be legal and morality doesn't exist, which is a perfectly moronic statement.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr1930s

Mr1930s

Bumbling Fuckhead
kiwifarms.net
  1. You believe "anyone should be allowed to kill themselves regardless of their state of mind".
  2. So if someone wants to kill themselves by driving their family off of a cliff, they should be allowed to do so. So what you believe is even less defensible, and is tantamount to "all crime should be legal and morality doesn't exist, which is a perfectly moronic statement.
I don't believe that suicide which involves killing other people is defensible. I agree with the first statement that "anyone should be allowed to kill themselves regardless of their state of mind". When someone is going to kill themselves, they should not involve other people in their suicidal shenanigans.

Senior Lexmechanic

kiwifarms.net
I don't believe that suicide which involves killing other people is defensible. I agree with the first statement that "anyone should be allowed to kill themselves regardless of their state of mind". When someone is going to kill themselves, they should not involve other people in their suicidal shenanigans.
Earlier, you said that only those with a sound mind should have the right to kill themselves. If you're going to actively lie about that position, why should I believe anything you say on any other part of the position?

Mr1930s

Bumbling Fuckhead
kiwifarms.net
Earlier, you said that only those with a sound mind should have the right to kill themselves. If you're going to actively lie about that position, why should I believe anything you say on any other part of the position?
Am I not allowed to change my mind? You've brought up some points that made me reconsider my original post from allowing only people of a sound state of mind to kill themselves to allowing anyone to kill themselves.

Senior Lexmechanic

kiwifarms.net
Am I not allowed to change my mind? You've brought up some points that made me reconsider my original post from allowing only people of a sound state of mind to kill themselves to allowing anyone to kill themselves.
You have a very weak mind if some rando on the internet can change it with like two low-effort posts.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino