Other OS thread - Because fuck the big 3.

Octane

Sata andagi...
kiwifarms.net
I'm surprised there's no thread here on at least something like BSD. Let's have one!

Here are some popular choices:
  • FreeBSD
  • NetBSD
  • OpenBSD
  • DragonflyBSD
  • Darwin
  • Solaris
  • HP-UX
  • IRIX
  • NeXTStep/OPENSTEP
  • ReactOS
  • Qubes (technically Linux, but with a VM twist)
  • BeOS/Haiku
  • RISC OS
  • TempleOS
and a shit ton more. It's also worth noting that the majority of these are open-source.

biggest big boy

NOIDED
kiwifarms.net
1613231787170.png

cockaine

give it back
kiwifarms.net
I once had a retard tell me that MenuetOS is slower than most other OS's because it is written assembly and not "a speedier language like C# or Python".

Wasn't Kanye West making an operating system? What happened to that?
Please explain

I'm surprised there's no thread here on at least something like BSD. Let's have one!

Here are some popular choices:
  • FreeBSD
  • NetBSD
  • OpenBSD
  • DragonflyBSD
  • Darwin
  • Solaris
  • HP-UX
  • IRIX
  • NeXTStep/OPENSTEP
  • ReactOS
  • Qubes (technically Linux, but with a VM twist)
  • BeOS/Haiku
  • RISC OS
  • TempleOS
and a shit ton more. It's also worth noting that the majority of these are open-source.
I keep seeing people promoting BSD. What are the benefits of using it instead over some Linux distro?

cockaine

give it back
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1917809

archiving because there seems to be almost no info on this, but this was a real thing... who knows if it was a joke or not
Comes prepackaged with spreadsheet software for keeping track of all your bitches.

As I understand it, FreeBSD's main benefits are built-in ZFS and Lennart Poettering hasn't touched it.
BSD has three use cases. You either: want to run a server and take full advantage of ZFS, you're too hipster for Linux, or you're super autistic about init.

Yeah, I about figured. Thanks, guys.

NumberingYourState

REAL MEN Fuck Up
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I might give RiscOS a spin one day, it's now officially supporting the Pi 400, but I hope it gets actual wifi support... Assuming that doesn't go entirely against its orthodoxy, I dunno, it just looks pleasant to use. Hopefully it's going to be worth it for a daily operating system, the only stipulation is its browser seems to want to load mobile versions of websites for whatever reason.