Our Discord - Three suggestions

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL
Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnDusk

Rose Christo's Brother
True & Honest Fan
Verified Kiwileak
kiwifarms.net
Regarding our KF discord, I have three suggestions:

1. Use a bot to require you to link your KF account to your Discord account. Right now, anyone can join the Discord and proceed to shit the place up. Because Discord won't let server owners see their user's IP addresses, there's no way without authentication to know who is who. Take this user named Meeki, who joined with two other random newbies and shot their sperg load everywhere for hundreds of messages.

Retard.jpg

Sperg-outs like these are a very common occurrence. These situations should either be stopped or linked to someone's KF account when they do happen for cow-watching material for threads. By the way, a certain Eggplant believes Meeki's this cow https://kiwifarms.net/threads/angie-anqi-angi-dong-skagra.38426/ , but my eyes glaze over when I try to read her mooing.

2. Replace the god-awful, laggy chat at the bottom of the main page with an embedded KF discord widget. Naturally, this ties back to the authentication in #1.

3. Management. More organized channels and roles (e.g., a supporter role for those who donated to KF) would go a long way to making the discord a better place.

The natural question of all this but especially #3 is whether you, staff, give a shit about the Discord or not. I sense that you don't - at least insofar as you won't bother to care about it outside of movie night. If that's the case, I hope you consider that a) the Discord seems to be prime grazing grounds for lolcows to come and b) I or another user experienced with Discord would be happy to help you implement some of these changes.

Last edited:

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
No. I'm out but your idea is terrible for tons of reasons. I'll explain why in a bit.
okay

1. Privacy. Many people use Discord on accounts they use for other things. Having a "Connected Accounts" thing on their Discord contaminates their other identities. There's already too few people willing to use Discord because of this flaw.

2. Reliance on Discord. Needing to rely on them for auth could compel them to shut us down at any time.

3. Rules of Discord. Trolling and mean stuff is banned by Discord and they will close down channels that troll. If regular chat was conducted in Discord we would be closed down in a fucking nano second.

Discord is for movie night VOIP and emergencies only.

DawnDusk

Rose Christo's Brother
True & Honest Fan
Verified Kiwileak
kiwifarms.net
I appreciate the explanation, Null. I anticipated #1 but assumed most of us who use the KF Discord made a secondary Discord account for it. In regards to #2, I was referring to one of staff writing and hosting a bot that could send verification tokens to a KF account, but it doesn't matter - #3 is damning enough.

blah

kiwifarms.net
I was looking for a chat the other day, heard about the discord but I hate that site. Null laid out the gist of it pretty well. Would love an active IRC that I could shit up though. I did join #sonichu on rizon, but theres like 5 people there.

Doug_Hitzel

A healthy, young man
kiwifarms.net
If discord doesn’t have any ads, does not require you to pay for usage, and is a for-profit entity, then how else do they make money?
Selling aggregate data to the highest bidder based on geodemographic segmentation?

Last edited:

DawnDusk

Rose Christo's Brother
True & Honest Fan
Verified Kiwileak
kiwifarms.net
If discord doesn’t have any ads, does not require you to pay for usage, and is a for-profit entity, then how else do they make money?
Selling aggregate data to the highest bidder based on geodemographic segmentation?

You can pay 5 bucks a month for the ability to have unlimited custom and .gif emojis. I understand that it's largely written in elixir and erlang, which are very efficient/cheap, too.

Moloch

Prince of Dorkness
kiwifarms.net
I can't seem to find the server.

I've never used discord before so I may need a little direction. How the fuck to I get in?

Status
Not open for further replies.