Overrelience on tech that makes people complacent - No red squiggly in the title so I spelled everything right.

Yes

• no

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • poll generator

Votes: 37 77.1%

• Total voters

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Phone numbers.

I can still remember all my school friends’s phone numbers. I’m not even sure I can remember my husband’s cell now.

I grew up before widespread tech (when I were a lass., etc) and it’s changed everything. I definitely have lower recall, smaller working memory and more cognitive overload. I dont think it’s a good thing, it’s affected concentration ability. There are pluses, but it’s definitely rewriting our brains.
I often think about images of the self as well - as a kid the only pictures of us were a few in frames and albums. Now my kids see video of themselves and pictures constantly. I wonder what that does?
Anyway, Ted kaczynski had some salient points
Another thing that has to do with phone numbers, landlines and kids is the act of calling someone and not being sure who would pick up the phone. Gone are the days of the occasional one-on-one smalltalk with someones mom or dad for a minute or two while waiting for your friend to get to the receiver. I always thought that was beneficial for a teen growing up and beneficial for parents to see who their offspring was associating with.
I have talked to parents old enough to remember this, now they have kids teens of their own, and they have completely forgotten how it used to be. I think something was lost there when cellphones took over.

Exterminate Leftists

including Libertarians and big-brained centrists.
kiwifarms.net
Another thing that has to do with phone numbers, landlines and kids is the act of calling someone and not being sure who would pick up the phone. Gone are the days of the occasional one-on-one smalltalk with someones mom or dad for a minute or two while waiting for your friend to get to the receiver. I always thought that was beneficial for a teen growing up and beneficial for parents to see who their offspring was associating with.
I have talked to parents old enough to remember this, now they have kids teens of their own, and they have completely forgotten how it used to be. I think something was lost there when cellphones took over.
Better make sure you don't call after 8pm, or during dinner, god help you if you call a girl and her dad answers. I never thought about it, but that's a big thing that people aren't taught and it shows. Listening to a voicemail from someone under 30 (if they even bother to call and not just text) vs someone who grew up with landlines makes it obvious.

Older: greeting, identification, time of day, day of week, message, contact number

Younger: hey it's me call me back or 27 texts for a 30 second conversation.

The best is people calling my business. I really try to not interact withcustomers if I can help it because I seem to always manage to pull the worst ones. They call you and ask "who's this?" Motherfucker you called my store. Usually addressing that makes the rest of the transaction more efficient, "Sir, did you just ask me who you're calling on the phone?"

Dedicated music players are never coming back, and cool shit like the Watchman (TV version of the walkman) don't need to exist anymore, but are still infinitely cooler than any cell phone. The Watchman worked until the Obama administration and the switch to digital-only transmission. On a screen half the size of a gameboy.

William Tell Underpass

#ApplesForHobos
kiwifarms.net
The only thing more annoying than someone who refuses to believe that technology can do something is someone who refuses to believe it can't.

annoyingfuck

kiwifarms.net
The only thing I'm completely dependent on are GPS' because I'm HORRIBLE with directions. I can't tell you any street names for shit, but I can still tell you how to get somewhere just by a certain landmark or building.
I can't tell you street names, even ones I drive on every day, but I can look at a map for somewhere I've never been before I leave (even if it's hours away), and end up at the right place without needing it again.

I would love to see the destruction of 'instant social media', people need to start communicating again with dialogue that is more than a single sentence; and for selfish reasons: the ADHD-like behaviours are doing the ones with actual ADHD no favours.

When I was a kid before cellphones my relatives took pictures at every single event and I hated it. And lots of video recordings. I fail to see how doing it today with social media is any different than using cameras and recording videos.

On the topic itself I think it is dumb to complain about social media and technology on a forum where its users scour said social media to mass archive and screenshot others acting like retards.
The difference is not that it never existed, it's the virtue signalling that comes with it, and the fact that once online it never, ever, goes away.

Humans are not allowed to grow, mature, and change their minds, because god forbid anything you (or in your stead) put online, will come and bite you in the arse to the point that it completely ruins any life you've built since then.

There is a huge difference between 'scouring said social media' to pay out on others, archive shit that needs to be shoved back in someone's face when they lie right to your face, and immersing yourself in it, to the point that you have forgotten everything you've learnt about critical thinking (not that the majority of under 30s even know what that is these days) and common sense.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ️ronic

Safir

ノークレーム・ノーリターン
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On the topic itself I think it is dumb to complain about social media and technology on a forum where its users scour said social media to mass archive and screenshot others acting like retards.
Dude. The world's most loud complainers about the overreliance on social media and technology are Brewster Kahle and Jason Scott of archive motherfucking org. You archive because it's unreliable, and even then Null had to build a new internet with blackjack and hookers from the ground up to make it possible.

ISDwarnedus

kiwifarms.net
I've noticed major streaming platforms are having this "un-personing" effect for artists/media that aren't on those platforms.

If I had a penny for every time I've heard somebody specifically ask for [music genre] recommendations that are on Spotify. Or heard somebody whine "I can't believe x album isn't on Spotify anymore! Now how am I gonna listen to it besides youtube??" Apparently finding stuff outside a streaming service is becoming a fucking lost art.

If only there were physical objects that could play high definition recordings of music. Or programs where people could trade files with their peers, maybe it could be called "peer to peer" or maybe "p2p" or something for short. Maybe some day.

Reactions: Stardust and Stasi

DJ Grelle

kiwifarms.net
Elitist spergout incoming

For what the individual is and for direct individual power, scientific technology says nothing, or rather: in the midst of his knowledge of phenomena and of his innumerable diabolical machines, the individual today is extremely wretched and powerless, more and more conditioned rather than conditioning, moving more and more on a path on which the necessity of will is reduced to a minimum, the sense of oneself, the indomitable fire of the individual entity is gradually dying in weariness, in desolation, in degeneration.
Or TL;DR:
The industrial revolution and it's consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

People have become extremely dependent on (the ease of) technology. As the user above noted; looking for music not on Spotify has become a lost art. People expect that things are easily accessible for them. Putting serious mental or physical effort into something? 90+% of people can't. Take for example watching TV. which is imho the worst form of entertainment It is a purely passive process. Once you've put your fav show on, you just lean back and absorb. Like cows staring at trains or sunflowers turning towards the sun. Now I know that there will be counter arguments to this, talking about deep movies, that mean so much and have so many layers. Sure, these movies exist. But you have to admit they form a small minority and most movies and shows are nothing but mindless entertainment, the more flashing lights the better.

I guess that's why we have Maxwell's equations, to make more flashing lights. I guess that's why there are mountains and canyons we find breathtaking and awe inspiring, to provide ample background for marvel movie #1122. I guess that's why we have long standing spiritual traditions, to give a good backstory to the powers of our favorite hero. I guess we've got arms and hands just to shovel the next burger in our mouths.

Technology has removed almost all challenges of life for us and humans really can not cope with that. A few are capable of setting challenges for themselves but others just waste away in self indulgent distractions and gratification of the senses. I unironically think 80-90% of all humans (all races) could die and little would change in the development of our cultures and civilizations.
I'll take the hats and the puzzles, tyvm

kobox666

kiwifarms.net
Didnt Socratres or Plato hated writing because they claimed it would fuck up people's memory? And some chinese guy hated bridges.

Tags
None