Paper Mario Series -

Which Paper Mario Game is your Favorite?

• Paper Mario

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Votes: 37 60.7%
  • Super Paper Mario

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Paper Mario Color Splash

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • They're all good imo

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters

StoneKnightMan

EVIL HITLER WHORE
kiwifarms.net
i present to you. Paper Mario. one of nintendo's best RPG series.

Paper mario was made by Nintendo with Intelligent Systems. the same company that made the Fire Emblem series. (hey @1911JD the character sprites for fire emblem heroes look alot like paper mario)

anyway, lets look at the first game. Paper Mario, released for the Nintendo 64 in 2001

mario and luigi go to a party at peach's castle, until it get uprooted into the sky by bowser's castle. bowser then engages mario in a fight and with the star rod, a powerful magical relic that he stole from star haven and the star spirits, makes himself invincible and he easily beats mario and throws him out of the castle to the ground

mario is then contacted by the star spirits, who tell mario that he must free them from bowser's forces, who are scattered across the mushroom kingdom, and only they can give mario the power to dispel bowser's invincibility from the star rod. mario must now go on an adventure to meet companions that will help him, find the star spirits, save peach, defeat bowser, and save the mushroom kingdom.

the game has a badge system. if you equip it, you will be able to do an effect in battle like a special attack.

mario will also meet and have companions join him. goombnario, kooper, bombette, parakarry, lady bow, sushie, and lakilester.

the next game in the series. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.released for the nintendo gamecube

the game has a darker tone than the first game

after restocking their boat at a remote port town called rogueport peach finds a map and learns that
it leads to an ancient treasure. she sends it to mario, who goes to rogueport and search around the places on the map to find the crystal stars, which are powerful magical objects that are the key to unlocking The Thousand-Year Door, which leads to the treasure. meanwhile, a group called the X-nauts find out about martio having the map and become determined to get rid of him.

this game introduced the audience function, which certain characters can toss stuff to mario or throw garbage at him. there is also the bingo gmae, which can give you bonuses.

mario has new companions. goombella, koops, flurrie, a yoshi kid, vivian, ms. mowz, and bobbery.

the next game was super paper mario. released for the wii.

the game takes an even more darker tone then the thousand year door.

mario and luigi hear that peach has been kidnapped once again and confront bowser over it. but it reveals that peach has been captured by another villain called count bleck. who also captures bowser and his minions and luigi. he then makes bowser anbd peach marry to create the chaos heart. and uses it to create a void that will destroy all the other worlds, as told in a prophecy by the Dark prognosticus.

mario regains consiousness and meets tippi. a pixl that transports him to flipside and meets the town's leader, merlon, who informs him of the situation about count bleck and the void, and a hero told in the prophecy of of light prognosticus that will gather the 8 pure hearts and save the worlds. mario must now go on another adventure to stop bleck.

mario will meet up with peach, bowser, and luigi, who are playable and have their own unique abilities. and they will also meet and befriend other pixls who can give them unique abilities.

the next game was Paper Mario: Sticker Star, released for the Nintendo 3DS

this was when the series started spiraling downhill and took a turn for the worst.

sticker star sucked because there are no party members, the stickers are YOUR ONLY WAY OF ATTACKING, the plot is just thin as paper (get it?), kertsi also isn't helpful. the game just sucked.

but some good points was some of the thing stickers were pretty cool, amusing, and useful. and some other stuff as well

the game was the followed up with Paper Mario: Color Splash, released for the Wii U.

the game is just as bad as paper mario sticker star. another bad plot, stickers are the only way of attacking in battle. it sucked. but like sticker star. some of the thing stickers were helpful and amusing.

the series is good, even though there have recently been some bad games.

Attachments

FatFuckFrank

Goddamn Sexual Tyrannosaurus
kiwifarms.net
First three are good. The first I got for my birthday 18 years ago, the second I got for my birthday 15 years ago. The third I didn't get as a birthday gift, but my little brother did.

The second one is my favorite although the first has my favorite soundtrack.

I'm surprised now one tried to make a spiritual successor to these games

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
The worst part is that one of the dudes who worked on Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland was responsible for the battle system change after Miyamoto complained about the 3ds one being too similar to TTYD and kept bringing up how he took design decisions from it to make sticker star.
Rosy Rupeeland is a classic game btw but you can't just try to take stuff from it and shove it into another game. Everything worked there because the entire thing was completely unique and was designed to support each arcane mechanic.

Now that game's reputation may be dragged through the mud by association. Grr...

PS. Super Paper Mario is my personal favourite. That game had a lot of cool unique design decisions and platform RPGs are a genre I really enjoy.

Last edited:

PsychoNerd054

One-Star Hero
kiwifarms.net
I've never played the original or Color Splash.

TTYD really wasn't as great as people make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game and all, but about 40% of it seemed like pure filler. It relied far too much on backtracking for one thing.

I liked Super Paper Mario, although I found it kind of difficult to figure out what it was trying to be. It tried to be some weird RPG/Platformer hybrid, but it felt kind of akward.

I thought Sticker Star was just mediocre. Not godawful, but not as strong as TTYD or SPM. It did get pretty cryptid once in a while, and it was essentially Paper New Super Mario Bros, but other than that, it was at least a decent playable game.

I'd say SPM is my favorite in the series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apoth42

MaxiMax

kiwifarms.net
Unpopular opinion : I like Color Splash.
Yeah there is too much Toads, not enough other species and the necessity to have "Things cards" to win against bosses is just a stupid concept (they can help but needing them is just a dumb decision) but the concept of basing the game around color is great, all the levels (even the worst ones) feel differents a most of them are fun, there is lot of good ideas, the story is bland but the writting is cool with different mini-storylines in each sub areas and a lot of great humor sprinkled on top of all of this.

It's not the game of the century but it's not a total failure either. It's pretty decent and... even good in my opinion.
Sticker Star on the other hand... that's something else. It doesn't have the originality and the wittiness of Color Splash. But since - for me - Color Splash was a step up from Sticker Star I guess I kinda wait for a new one to see if the next one will be a step up from Color Splash.

(Unpopular opinion 2 : Sticker Star is the worst of the Paper Mario, Paper Jam the second worst if it counts, then Paper Mario 1, Color Splash, Paper Mario 3 and then Paper Mario 2)

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It relied far too much on backtracking for one thing.
Twilight Town is simultaneously my favorite and most hated part of that game. It's a cool setting, and I love the concept of it, especially how he steals letters from your keyboard. The execution of it was garbage though because over half the level is walking back and forth down that stupid path. It could have been fixed just by putting a pipe between the town and the steeple but at that point I don't think there'd be enough left to call it a chapter, because without the constant backtracking it's a very quick level.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
The series was kind of good for me until Sticker Star came out (which encouraged me to be an pacifist, since fighting is kind of pointless there). And I think the franchise is on the verge getting canned, since I didn't see any news about it being on the Switch.

ComputerWife

I want a divorce
kiwifarms.net
Color Splash wasn’t a bad game but it was a mediocre Paper Mario game. Sticker Star was a gimmick turned mundane bad game; the wiggler segment was okay. The problem with both of them is the odd feeling of loneliness because there’s not enough character or world building to make you care about any of it. All the other ones have a somewhat emotional and elaborate plot (Paper Mario being the most sparse but each world had a “quest-like” plot), even background characters had a hint of story. I cannot remember any named characters from Color Splash or Sticker Star.

PsychoNerd054

One-Star Hero
kiwifarms.net
Twilight Town is simultaneously my favorite and most hated part of that game. It's a cool setting, and I love the concept of it, especially how he steals letters from your keyboard. The execution of it was garbage though because over half the level is walking back and forth down that stupid path. It could have been fixed just by putting a pipe between the town and the steeple but at that point I don't think there'd be enough left to call it a chapter, because without the constant backtracking it's a very quick level.
The first half of Chapter 7, where you had to find that one Bob-Omb general was the worst.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
even background characters had a hint of story. I cannot remember any named characters from Color Splash or Sticker Star.
That's because most of the NPCs in Sticker Star were unmanned, unlike the ones in the second and third games. Plus, it doesn't really help that they barely have anything interesting to say; unlike Gus after you said this to him.

PsychoNerd054

One-Star Hero
kiwifarms.net
Color Splash wasn’t a bad game but it was a mediocre Paper Mario game. Sticker Star was a gimmick turned mundane bad game; the wiggler segment was okay. The problem with both of them is the odd feeling of loneliness because there’s not enough character or world building to make you care about any of it. All the other ones have a somewhat emotional and elaborate plot (Paper Mario being the most sparse but each world had a “quest-like” plot), even background characters had a hint of story. I cannot remember any named characters from Color Splash or Sticker Star.
The irony of this was that Sticker Star had an identity at some point during production. Supposedly, Miyamoto made it more like the New Super Mario Bros games when he felt the game was too similar to TTYD. While I can kind of understand where he was going with this, the decisions the production team made afterwards just made the game so bland and soulless.

Here is only a sample of what wasn't used in the game: https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Paper_Mario:_Sticker_Star_pre-release_and_unused_content

Edit: The more I think of it now, it just seems as though they're making the Paper Mario franchise into something akin to those Yoshi's Story Spinoffs like Yoshi's Wolly World or Yoshi's Crafted World, seeing how the games seem to rely mostly off of visual gimmicks.

Last edited:

LMR365

Nicolas Cage holding a birthday cake.
kiwifarms.net
Color Splash isn't shit. But it wasn't better than Sticker Star either. I mean one of the main characters is a fucking bucket and he died for reals at the end of the game and in the true ending he falls and gets kicked into the fountain of paint where the paint stars are sleeping in. The Clown Sticker girl gets to live in Sticker Star but at the same time. She was kinda useless. Burket dude was helpful and likable. But... They kill him off! Meh?

Also, my first Paper Mario game I ever played on was funny enough Super Paper Mario. Which was and still a cool game. I saw fanart come out of all three Paper Mario games save for Sticker Star and Color Splash.

I also saw morons defend both Sticker Star and Color Splash saying it's the same Mario game as old Paper Mario games and I'm like "LMAO NO!"

Since that game came out? No one talks about a new Paper Mario game and I hear it may be its last due to bad sells on the Wii U in both Japan and the west. Which at this point? Is a good sign given the dev is working on Three Houses? Which could be a better version of Fire Emblem yet in recent years.

Tampon Head

kiwifarms.net
I really liked the first one because Bowser was an actual threat. Aside from maybe Dream Team, Bowser hasn't been a big threat in awhile. It's probably nostalgia talking but PM1 felt creative with its settings, enemies, and music.

TTYD is usually regaled as the overall best one, while SPM is said to have the best story. I can see why people think this, but the games do have their flaws. I personally hated Flipside in SPM- the music, atmosphere, citizens, it was all so unappealing. However, chapter 3 and 7 were so imaginative that it made up for the awful overworld.

TTYD had some of the most tedious missions that padded out the game quite a lot. People usually mention the white bomb guy in chapter 7 and chapter 4 in general, but every chapter in the game has excruciatingly slow-paced parts. Still way better than anything in Sticker Star, but it's still a noticeable flaw.

MRfive

here lies joops tablet, RIP
kiwifarms.net
i only ever played the first 2 and then sticker star and i was so goddamned disappointed in ss. i dont know. i could have handled not having partners and a weak storyline if only i didnt have to find stickers to do basic attacks

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino