Paper Mario Series -

Which Paper Mario Game is your Favorite?

• Paper Mario

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Votes: 108 59.0%
  • Super Paper Mario

Votes: 30 16.4%
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Paper Mario Color Splash

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • They're all good imo

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
It is padding, and that's why it's bad. There's few maps (both the Twilight Town area in general, and the exterior of Keelhaul Key) and it's just a cheap way to expand the experience without expanding the map, especially since you can't fight easily at the time in Chapter 4. At least in Chapter five you have everybody, and Admiral Bobbery starts with 20 HP and is useful in battle too.

Anyways you forget that running away doesn't just sacrifice coins, audience members leave too, so you get punished by having less audience the next time you do decide to battle.

Strange Wilderness

kiwifarms.net
I would've liked chapters 4 and 5 (but especially 4) a lot better without all that backtracking.
I'll agree with you on chapter 4 that was a slog but I liked chapter 5 with all its backtracking, probably because of all the comedy from Bobbary, Flavios stupidity, and Lord Crumps piss poor disguise where he flat out tells you that you've figured out his disguise but asks you not to tell Mario so the story can progress.

PsychoNerd054

Green people are so sexy!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I can't see why they got did of the badge system.
That always puzzled me too. Instead those got replaced with the stickers too, the entire gimmick of Sticker Star, except now every move was a one use item.

Also, unpopular opinion here, but I don’t think that whole gimmick would have been so bad if your most basic attacks (jumping on enemies and using your mallet) were at least unlimited, and they never made use of those special stickers you need to defeat the bosses.

And to be honest, if that were the case, I’d think the stickers would have had much more potential. You can at least have strategy in mind when attacking with limited attacks, but I still think your basic attacks should still be unlimited, just in case you literally have nothing left. Youcan also upgrade these basic attacks too. Collecting the stickers could still be encouraged in order for some battles to run more smoothly.

Oh, wait, that was already done in the first two games. They were simply called items!

Last edited:

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
@MysticMisty git gud and grind then

Or start fucking with your badge builds
I don't die, and it's not necessary to grind in a Paper Mario game (honestly you don't even need to be level 30 for Bonetail, let alone the Shadow Queen). But I do think the whole setup is bullshit for that chapter since it is, unfortunately, the most minimal chapter in terms of plot in TYD. Only Glitzville had less maps, and that was made up for with the chapter plot.

Nauseated Courgi

It's an Ass-Fuck-Get-Fucked world out there
kiwifarms.net
I don't die, and it's not necessary to grind in a Paper Mario game (honestly you don't even need to be level 30 for Bonetail, let alone the Shadow Queen).
Seriously. I was at mid to late level 20s when I took on the the Queen, and while she was difficult, I got through alright.

PsychoNerd054

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't die, and it's not necessary to grind in a Paper Mario game (honestly you don't even need to be level 30 for Bonetail, let alone the Shadow Queen). But I do think the whole setup is bullshit for that chapter since it is, unfortunately, the most minimal chapter in terms of plot in TYD. Only Glitzville had less maps, and that was made up for with the chapter plot.
Even Glitzville was much more engaging, (Along with Chapter 2, it’s my personal favorite chapter by the way) even with how little exploration there was in comparison to the others.

PsychoNerd054

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Am I wrong for being willing to give this installment a fair chance?
I have just about that same sentiment. I think comparing the game to TTYD, and hoping it to be of that magnitude of quality is kind of absurd. TTYD is like the perfect one to many fans, so there’s not much of a point to expect this to be on the same level or better when practically everything has been perfected there. It’d be an utter accomplishment if it was upon release, and I’m sure it’d be a pleasant surprise for many people, but at this rate (considering the quality of the last two games) I just want this game to at least be better than the last two games. Color Splash for me almost hit the mark, but it was still missing a few things for me to consider it as anything but just okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Picklechu

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Even Glitzville was much more engaging, (Along with Chapter 2, it’s my personal favorite chapter by the way) even with how little exploration there was in comparison to the others.
This is why SPM fails, really. People probably would've been much more forgiving if the plot was genuinely engaging, but it's not. So much of it is done in off screen exposition and end of chapter infodumps. Even the main plot is underwhelming in presentation, despite the potential they had to work with.

Dimetrodon

Not a reptile or a mammal
kiwifarms.net
This is why SPM fails, really. People probably would've been much more forgiving if the plot was genuinely engaging, but it's not. So much of it is done in off screen exposition and end of chapter infodumps. Even the main plot is underwhelming in presentation, despite the potential they had to work with.
Still light years ahead of the two that followed it and much closer in quality to the two that preceded it. I've never understood why people like to lump it in with the the later two when it really falls into a category of its own. And for all its flaws, the plot did a few interesting things, like what happened in Chapter 6.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
That always puzzled me too. Instead those got replaced with the stickers too, the entire gimmick of Sticker Star, except now every move was a one use item.

Also, unpopular opinion here, but I don’t think that whole gimmick would have been so bad if your most basic attacks (jumping on enemies and using your mallet) were at least unlimited, and they never made use of those special stickers you need to defeat the bosses.

And to be honest, if that were the case, I’d think the stickers would have had much more potential. You can at least have strategy in mind when attacking with limited attacks, but I still think your basic attacks should still be unlimited, just in case you literally have nothing left. Youcan also upgrade these basic attacks too. Collecting the stickers could still be encouraged in order for some battles to run more smoothly.

Oh, wait, that was already done in the first two games. They were simply called items!
Well, it didn't help much that you barely got anything useful from fighting random losers in Sticker Star where SPM and TTYD gave you extra health to look forward to.

PsychoNerd054

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’m actually stoked the bosses aren’t just King Mooks or the Koopalings this time around. It’s weird how they turn colored pencils and a roll of tape into bosses, though. It’s almost like the big stickers from Sticker Star are the bosses.

Edit: The concepts may be a bit weird, but more importantly, I like how they require some kind of strategy to defeat again.

Last edited:

TrippinKahlua

Fashions provided by Lily Reuben Salon SSW
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I would personally rather the Koopalings over the Midget Clone of Bowser being a partner.

Tags
None