Paper Mario Series -

Which Paper Mario Game is your Favorite?

• Paper Mario

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Votes: 122 58.4%
  • Super Paper Mario

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Paper Mario Color Splash

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • They're all good imo

Votes: 11 5.3%

• Total voters

PsychoNerd054

Green people are so sexy!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So far the only downsides that I could name would be the apparent lack of XP as mentioned, and the fact that there are still not many unique NPCs. (At least they put some degree of effort into the partners). Either way, this still looks 100x better than SS. This game looks like it may actually be good.

Edit: I also dig the apparent idea of Mario using past bosses in order defeat enemies and solve puzzles, almost as if the bosses become partners themselves.

Also, here’s another pleasant surprise:

As it turns out, stickers are making a comeback, but it looks like your most basic attacks (jumping and using your mallet.) are unlimited. (In other words, the stickers are nothing more than items now, rather than the primary gimmick of the battles.) Also, they’re bringing back badges, sort of.

Last edited:

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
It's really nice to see proper battle partners again, and it's cool that they gave Kamek a role. On the other hand though, I miss Kammy. And I'm not impressed with the bosses. I liked it a lot better when it was an art direction and not "everything in their world is LITERALLY PAPER!!!!!1111"
Kammy had the unfortunate fate of being too original for Miyamoto and Tanabe, just like the old Koopa Trooper designs.

I don't even mind having Kamek as a character, but it shouldn't have meant having to sacrifice Kammy to make it work.

However, at least the Koopalings aren't around to hog the spot light, I'm happy to have these weird bosses instead.

Nauseated Courgi

It's an Ass-Fuck-Get-Fucked world out there
kiwifarms.net
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually like the whole "IRL item with a wacky twist" the recent entries have been doing. I'm not entirely sure why I like it, I just do.

Reactions: Someone in a Tree

ChucklesTheJester

Dream Diver
kiwifarms.net
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually like the whole "IRL item with a wacky twist" the recent entries have been doing. I'm not entirely sure why I like it, I just do.
While I don't like them I also don't hate them. If Anything I think it makes me feel like there are two diffrent Paper mario time univerises.

You got the first two as the first Unvierse where Everything is paper aesthetic is just a stylized apporched to make it stand out from the other Mario RPG series.

Where Super and byond is more It's own univerise that took the paper style less as a style and more as a How many diffrent gimmicks can we do with each new game to make it seem more like The whole world is a childs imagation running wild. The IRL items adds to that idea given a child would use them as props.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
While I don't like them I also don't hate them. If Anything I think it makes me feel like there are two diffrent Paper mario time univerises.

You got the first two as the first Unvierse where Everything is paper aesthetic is just a stylized apporched to make it stand out from the other Mario RPG series.

Where Super and byond is more It's own univerise that took the paper style less as a style and more as a How many diffrent gimmicks can we do with each new game to make it seem more like The whole world is a childs imagation running wild. The IRL items adds to that idea given a child would use them as props.
You should really read the Sticky Wiki in the fourth game; it's essentially based off of what you just said, but from the perspective of the Toads.

PsychoNerd054

Green people are so sexy!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's really nice to see proper battle partners again, and it's cool that they gave Kamek a role. On the other hand though, I miss Kammy. And I'm not impressed with the bosses. I liked it a lot better when it was an art direction and not "everything in their world is LITERALLY PAPER!!!!!1111"
I personally don’t mind the new paper aesthetic they use in these games. It actually gives the series a chance to expand on the “Paper” part of the series in my opinion. My problem with it in SS was more how they were far less subtle with it, what with the paper puns, and the fact that it was never fully integrated to its potential, and was treated as more of a lame gimmick. I think CS did a slightly better job with this.

Last edited:

ComeoutandJULAY

BURN BURN BURN TO THE GROUND BU-BURN TO THE GROUND
kiwifarms.net
I know this game was very likely in development before AlphaDream went under, but it does feel weird that they're continuing this "paper-y" direction since I sort of assumed that was done to differentiate Paper Mario from Mario & Luigi, and now Paper Mario is the only active Mario RPG series left (unless they have plans to revive M&L anytime soon).

Strange Wilderness

kiwifarms.net
Kammy had the unfortunate fate of being too original for Miyamoto and Tanabe, just like the old Koopa Trooper designs.

I don't even mind having Kamek as a character, but it shouldn't have meant having to sacrifice Kammy to make it work.

However, at least the Koopalings aren't around to hog the spot light, I'm happy to have these weird bosses instead.
Have both Kamek and Kammy in the same game and let them play off each other as Bowsers advisors. Kammy's the mindless fangirl who goes along with whatever Bowser says while Kameks a bit more sarcastic and skeptical about his bosses latest scheme. Maybe have him make a bunch of comments poking fun at the series overall. In a boss battle Kamek uses offensive magic while Kammy uses defensive magic; they either complement one another or act as support for Bowser in the final boss battle and you have to take all three out.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
Have both Kamek and Kammy in the same game and let them play off each other as Bowsers advisors. Kammy's the mindless fangirl who goes along with whatever Bowser says while Kameks a bit more sarcastic and skeptical about his bosses latest scheme. Maybe have him make a bunch of comments poking fun at the series overall. In a boss battle Kamek uses offensive magic while Kammy uses defensive magic; they either complement one another or act as support for Bowser in the final boss battle and you have to take all three out.
Bro, most of this shit has been done in TTYD. Which was a step up from most of the fights in that game.

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
Started Super Paper Mario not long ago, but I'm just not feeling it. It doesn't even make a great platformer, and the RPG elements feel tacked on.

Never played the last two, but Origami King looks pretty decent. Not huge on the idea of an RPG without experience, but at least it seems they've improved on the one time use attack thing I've read about.

Too Many Catgirls

are trained to kill
kiwifarms.net
Started Super Paper Mario not long ago, but I'm just not feeling it. It doesn't even make a great platformer, and the RPG elements feel tacked on.

Never played the last two, but Origami King looks pretty decent. Not huge on the idea of an RPG without experience, but at least it seems they've improved on the one time use attack thing I've read about.
Super Paper Mario is very okay. It does have its moments, but the gameplay is generally lacking. If you're into videogame-tier stories, it is pretty solid. The soundtrack is very good. And the final boss fight is awesome.

Tags
None