Paper Mario Series -

Which Paper Mario Game is your Favorite?

• Paper Mario

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Votes: 108 59.0%
  • Super Paper Mario

Votes: 30 16.4%
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Paper Mario Color Splash

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • They're all good imo

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
Where Super and byond is more It's own univerise that took the paper style less as a style and more as a How many diffrent gimmicks can we do with each new game to make it seem more like The whole world is a childs imagation running wild. The IRL items adds to that idea given a child would use them as props.
Not sure how Super fits into that. They barely played around with the paper gimmick. It is considered the last ‘real‘ Paper Mario by many for that reason.

ChucklesTheJester

Dream Diver
kiwifarms.net
Not sure how Super fits into that. They barely played around with the paper gimmick. It is considered the last ‘real‘ Paper Mario by many for that reason.
Super more of a middle child type of thing bridgeing the transtion from Classic Paper mario to newer style.
But it fits more newer then oldschool in my opionion.

• Agree
Reactions: Too Many Catgirls

Vapewizard

kiwifarms.net
Super more of a middle child type of thing bridgeing the transtion from Classic Paper mario to newer style.
But it fits more newer then oldschool in my opionion.
I liked the game when I first played it as a tween but in hindsight, especially when seeing it again being played by a streamer, I started noticing the flaws more like the large amount of backtracking and fetchquests and some of the dialogue dragging on too long. I know TTYD had padding issues too but it felt more pronounced in SPM.

Thought that being said I'm currently watching a stream of Sticker star, which I never played myself but only heard critique of, and compared to that Super paper mario still has way more merit with how they actually bothered thinking of creative new villager species and characters to populate the game with.

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm starting to think that Nintendo has made every NPC generic toads or objects as a way to avoid woke hate mobs. The campaign to cancel that Korean Dev for having a monster with dreadlocks was a huge campaign.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
I'm starting to think that Nintendo has made every NPC generic toads or objects as a way to avoid woke hate mobs. The campaign to cancel that Korean Dev for having a monster with dreadlocks was a huge campaign.
I always assumed that was them being lazy. I mean, just look at the people who live in Rougeport

• Agree
Reactions: GeneralFriendliness

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
No, I'm fairly certain it was a mandate to make every Mario game adhere to the NSMB aesthetic as much as possible.

That overly safe and bland artstyle has been a thorn in Mario's side for so long, thank god Odyssey got rid of that shit.

Too Many Catgirls

are trained to kill
kiwifarms.net
I always assumed that was them being lazy. I mean, just look at the people who live in Rougeport
What the fuck did you just say about the good, hardworking people of Rogueport? Do you just not care about systemic oppression and bigotry propagated by the imperialist monarch sitting on her throne of skulls in the so-called Mushroom Kingdom? You make me sick.

• Feels
Reactions: GeneralFriendliness

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
No, I'm fairly certain it was a mandate to make every Mario game adhere to the NSMB aesthetic as much as possible.

That overly safe and bland artstyle has been a thorn in Mario's side for so long, thank god Odyssey got rid of that shit.
Sad considering the variety of NPCs in Super Mario Sunshine, that not only came in different colors and sex, but even varied with clothes. Even the first Super Mario Galaxy had more NPC variety than SS and CS.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm starting to think that Nintendo has made every NPC generic toads or objects as a way to avoid woke hate mobs.
I think it's more like a personal hangup on Miyamoto's part, he just doesn't like it when Mario starts getting original characters or a story.

My completely unfounded speculation is that any time someone starts adding lore to the Mario universe he just sees the 1993 live-action movie coming back.

ChucklesTheJester

Dream Diver
kiwifarms.net
I think it's more like a personal hangup on Miyamoto's part, he just doesn't like it when Mario starts getting original characters or a story.

My completely unfounded speculation is that any time someone starts adding lore to the Mario universe he just sees the 1993 live-action movie coming back.
Would be funny if he still has nightmares of human bowser turning people into monkeys. Oh and the goombas.

I wouldn't hate Miymoto if this is reason why he dislikes paper mario having cool original characters.

ducktales4gameboy

archive what you want to remember
kiwifarms.net
Some book or other about Nintendo history (untold history of nintendo, maybe?) had a chapter about that movie and iirc Miyamoto liked it and just laughed it off as not being Mario and funny on its own merits. I feel the same way about it, it's great B-movie cheese.

I think the game that really set him off with regards to the mario canon was Yoshi's Island DS. The original YI was him striking out against Donkey Kong Country by going super hard into a style that couldn't be replicated with prerendered effects and pulling every tech trick in the book to make every level a unique experience and disguise the limitations of the engine. Skip forward 10 years and YIDS gets outsourced to some second-party that does a shallow replication of the YI look and slaps it onto boring collectathon mechanics. Miyamoto gets super mad and clamps down hard on what franchisees can do with the Mario franchise and this happens around the time the third M&L and PM games are going into production, leading into all the future titles having the overabundance of toads.

I really want someone in the know to write a full account of what went on with YIDS and him because it feels like the brunt of the drama over it still hasn't come to light aside from Famitsu etc making oblique references to it.

The campaign to cancel that Korean Dev for having a monster with dreadlocks was a huge campaign.
What game was that?

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Skip forward 10 years and YIDS gets outsourced to some second-party that does a shallow replication of the YI look and slaps it onto boring collectathon mechanics.
That doesn't explain why Miyamoto specifically hates lore though.
Interestingly, he's on record as having unironically approved of the "Super Mario Bros. Super Show" (at least the cartoon segments), which I think indicates where he's coming from on this. He's fine with using Mario characters from the main-line game series in just about any sort of lighthearted kiddy story, as long as it's a one-off.
In Japan there were three video episodes in a similar spirit where they did the fairy tales "Momotarou', "Issunboushi", and "Snow White" with the Super Mario 3 cast.

• Informative
Reactions: Chiri

Just wandering

kiwifarms.net
That doesn't explain why Miyamoto specifically hates lore though.
Interestingly, he's on record as having unironically approved of the "Super Mario Bros. Super Show" (at least the cartoon segments), which I think indicates where he's coming from on this. He's fine with using Mario characters from the main-line game series in just about any sort of lighthearted kiddy story, as long as it's a one-off.
In Japan there were three video episodes in a similar spirit where they did the fairy tales "Momotarou', "Issunboushi", and "Snow White" with the Super Mario 3 cast.
This video explore more about who's behind sticker start, and stuff make sense

TrippinKahlua

Fashions provided by Lily Reuben Salon SSW
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is the first time in a long time I have been committed to buy a game since its first reveal, and absolutely plan to buy on day one. Still, its healthy to hold skepticism. I hope Nintendo doesn't disappoint.

The Paper Mario series is one I should hold dear to my heart, but my personal story doesn't relay that. The only one I've ever really played through completion was Thousand Year Door.

Paper Mario 64 I wasnt able to get because it was actually hard to get newly released games where I am from. Adding in being a late N64 release made the window even smaller for me.

I did get and have Super Paper Mario, but wasnt getting into it.

The following two games I never got due to not owning until Sun/Moon a 3DS, and never owning a Wii U period.

But times are different. I have a Switch and by God please dont fuck this up Nintendo.

Glad partners are back. Great step.

If there's no Star Points, its whatever. I personally dont find it inconvenient.

Tags
None