Paradox Studio Thread -

Favorite Paradox Game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's definitely the one that is best value for the money, but imo the most casual and easy to pick up is any title from the Hearts of Iron series. They introduce the most basic rudiments of Paradox-style mechanics without too much in the way of information overload.
No, you have to go for CK2, seriously it has a high learning curve but once you get down the basic mechanics, it's gonna be a badge of honor among your friends list when they see you play CK2.

Reactions: Exterminatus

Apoth42

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
Hearts of Iron 3 is very difficult to learn and and from what I've heard Hearts of Iron 4 is very easy to learn.

I would personally recommend darkest hour because it's just a really good game lots of mods. As far as difficulty goes I'd say it's between the two games mentioned above.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
Hearts of Iron 3 is very difficult to learn and and from what I've heard Hearts of Iron 4 is very easy to learn.

I would personally recommend darkest hour because it's just a really good game lots of mods. As far as difficulty goes I'd say it's between the two games mentioned above.
3 has the playable campaign scenarios that let you practice the warfare mechanics without having to worry about tech trees, industry, politics, and all the rest.

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Trust me, go CK2. It's much more varied and unpredictable and plus you have a long time to play the game, starting from like the 769 all the way to 1453!

monochromte

kiwifarms.net
I've played CKII for a while now and only recently joined my first crusade. For the game called fucking CRUSADER Kings the crusader part is unbelievably boring (and the trait they give you is kinda useless tbh).
Also there is like zero cooperation between armies so everyone is just doing their own thing (authentic crusade experience I guess). Hope the new DLC will fix it.

Agent Toucan

Holy Sigmar, bless this ravaged body!
kiwifarms.net
I've always thought Europa Universalis 4 was actually the easiest one to learn...

I have all the DLCs for that game and recently i tried a campaign with just the base game and i was astonished at how simple it was. The main disadvantage is that while you can't access DLC mechanics, the AI can, so it's even more unbalanced that way and without cheese tactics you're gonna have a hard time.

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
I remember watching hours of tutorials to understand CK2, somewhat understood how to change policies and what not. Took over the majority of Ireland, dipped into Scotland.

Aaaand then my king went insane, I lost 3/4 of my territories, and even then the son died not 20 mins later.

It was probably my own fault for not knowing ancestry rules but it really is one of those games only fit for certain types. People who'd drink tea and listen to podcasts while slowly playing. It's very difficult to sit down and focus on and learn in a reasonable manner. Half the time I'm struggling to find a way to declare war on a guy with no allies for an hour and it's just like, I could be playing M&B instead.

Looking forward to a CK3 though. Hopefully a bit more approachable, if they follow the Civilizations format of aiming for a more mainstream audience.

• Disagree
Reactions: Your Weird Fetish

gobbogobb

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've always thought Europa Universalis 4 was actually the easiest one to learn...

I have all the DLCs for that game and recently i tried a campaign with just the base game and i was astonished at how simple it was. The main disadvantage is that while you can't access DLC mechanics, the AI can, so it's even more unbalanced that way and without cheese tactics you're gonna have a hard time.
If you only own vanilla can they still do dlc stuff? I haven't played in forever.

Edit:. Treat CK2 more like dwarf fortress, and you'll have more fun. It's easy to power game, but the real fun (to me) is doing crazy stuff like turning the Muslim world into Scandinavian tribal pagans.

GreenJacket

Humpty Drumpfty
kiwifarms.net
I remember one game I played for CK2 where I started out as a Lithuanian tribe in 867. I worked my way up to reforming the Romuva religion and forming the Wendish Empire, and I went on a massive conquest spree of Europe. I remember I got two extremely lucky inheritances where one of my emperors inherited the Kingdom of Russia, which had gotten pretty massive that game, and another inherited the Empire of Scandinavia. Unfortunately I couldn't conquer all of Europe in that game. By the time 1453 rolled around, Sardinia, Scotland, and Ireland were still controlled by European Catholics, but it was roaring good fun cucking everyone under my dominion into becoming Lithuanian pagans.

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Now I realized why I kept losing to UK in Vicky 2 and that was because I didn't have a balanced army composition, I kept recruiting only infantry. :eggplant:

Crippled Eagle

Top Floppy Slotter 1977
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sad that Victoria 3 will never happen because the autist that created a lot of the systems for Victoria 2 jumped ship. Paradox doesn't even know how the economy and trade in Victoria 2 works, just the one dude who is now retired.

• Informative
Reactions: Dirt McGirt

Adolf Von Merkel

kiwifarms.net
Victoria 2 and EUIV are my favourites. I hope their sequel won't be as bland as HoI IV.

Sad that Victoria 3 will never happen because the autist that created a lot of the systems for Victoria 2 jumped ship. Paradox doesn't even know how the economy and trade in Victoria 2 works, just the one dude who is now retired.
Chris King? He returned and is working in a secret project.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino