Paradox Studio Thread -

Favorite Paradox Game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apoth42

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
Sad that Victoria 3 will never happen because the autist that created a lot of the systems for Victoria 2 jumped ship. Paradox doesn't even know how the economy and trade in Victoria 2 works, just the one dude who is now retired.
To be fair, it'd be better if they made an entirely new system.

Bit silly that you have infinite money and basically infinite resources by the end of the game.

Intelligent Calcium

kiwifarms.net
Stellaris is cool because it has a gundam mod
I really want to like Stellaris, but after numerous DLCs and reworks it's still just so shallow and uninspired and I have to question if they ever knew what they were doing. It seems that by now every update is them just ripping a section of the game out wholesale, replace it with something completely different and hope it works this time without ever really addressing the underlying issues. And then there's the really dumb shit, like forcing in the demesne system (as sectors), seemingly just to remind people that this a Paradox system, eventhough the only reason it's fun in CK2 is because it enables more roleplay and character interaction but that element is not present in Stellaris and all it does is annoy people due to the core world limit and because the AI governors can't do anything right. Only thing the devs got right is the sci-fi feel (looks, music, traits) and it's enough for fools like me to come back with every DLC/big patch and think "this is the one, this one will finally turn Stellaris into a video game". And the upcoming patch does sound really interesting, but I've grown way too guarded to hope this is the one. Maybe I should try out some of these mods.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
I really want to like Stellaris, but after numerous DLCs and reworks it's still just so shallow and uninspired and I have to question if they ever knew what they were doing. It seems that by now every update is them just ripping a section of the game out wholesale, replace it with something completely different and hope it works this time without ever really addressing the underlying issues. And then there's the really dumb shit, like forcing in the demesne system (as sectors), seemingly just to remind people that this a Paradox system, eventhough the only reason it's fun in CK2 is because it enables more roleplay and character interaction but that element is not present in Stellaris and all it does is annoy people due to the core world limit and because the AI governors can't do anything right. Only thing the devs got right is the sci-fi feel (looks, music, traits) and it's enough for fools like me to come back with every DLC/big patch and think "this is the one, this one will finally turn Stellaris into a video game". And the upcoming patch does sound really interesting, but I've grown way too guarded to hope this is the one. Maybe I should try out some of these mods.
so is there any optimal DLC/patch combo for the best experience? I have the vanilla Stellaris on steam for a while now, but I've yet to try it because I was waiting for all the DLC to be on sale so I could get the important ones, and from past experience with Paradox titles, the vanilla is an incomplete product and the DLC is necessary to salvage it into something playable.

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
I remember watching hours of tutorials to understand CK2, somewhat understood how to change policies and what not. Took over the majority of Ireland, dipped into Scotland.

Aaaand then my king went insane, I lost 3/4 of my territories, and even then the son died not 20 mins later.

It was probably my own fault for not knowing ancestry rules but it really is one of those games only fit for certain types. People who'd drink tea and listen to podcasts while slowly playing. It's very difficult to sit down and focus on and learn in a reasonable manner. Half the time I'm struggling to find a way to declare war on a guy with no allies for an hour and it's just like, I could be playing M&B instead.

Looking forward to a CK3 though. Hopefully a bit more approachable, if they follow the Civilizations format of aiming for a more mainstream audience.
I had a lot of screw-ups like that early on- one early playthrough, I was playing as Iceland, accidentally converted to Bon, then my line ended because of an early death of my king, and my heir was childless, married to a woman over 50 (I'd done it for the prestige, he hadn't been heir at the time) and gay. RNG can really screw you in this game, so you have to keep an eye on all the moving parts.

One thing I realized was that I was playing it way too much like Total War- operating under the assumption that all the stuff between wars was basically filler. That's not how it works, and expanding too fast and too hard will either A) get your shit pushed in when you pick the wrong fight or end up on the business end of a defensive pact or B) get your shit pushed in when the fact that you've turned your country into a pressure cooker with constant conquest blows up in your face. It's good- advisable, even- to take the occasional decade off to build up, convert provinces, build alliances, etc.

I hope they don't go the Civilization route, though- there's very little like CK2 out there in terms of being a grand strategy RPG. I hope CK3 keeps the feel of 2, even if they rework the mechanics.

• Agree
Reactions: Your Weird Fetish

Intelligent Calcium

kiwifarms.net
so is there any optimal DLC/patch combo for the best experience? I have the vanilla Stellaris on steam for a while now, but I've yet to try it because I was waiting for all the DLC to be on sale so I could get the important ones, and from past experience with Paradox titles, the vanilla is an incomplete product and the DLC is necessary to salvage it into something playable.
ZeCommissar's post on page 9 is a good summary. They're going to do a pretty big overhaul soon, so I'd wait until that comes out because (hopefully) it'll change the game up a lot and getting into it now would mean you'd have to learn a lot of mechanics that might get thrown out wholesale soon.
As it is now though, I have 126 hours in Stellaris and all the DLC and considering how much development went into it by now I can't really recommend it. It's not at the point yet where the DLC salvages it and honestly it might never get there. Maybe the content patch changes that, so again wait for that. The original game lacked vision and it seems like they've been playing catch-up ever since, but the game has some fundamental flaws that they might never be able to fix. A lot of people seem to like it as is though so don't take my word for it.

• Agree
Reactions: Your Weird Fetish

Zaryiu

Nobody important
kiwifarms.net
I like their grand strategy series (i mean CkII to Hearts of Iron/Darkest hour) but i'll pick CK II since it's the one i learned to play first

• Feels
Reactions: Apoth42

Zaryiu

Nobody important
kiwifarms.net
So after the update that came free along with Holy Fury screwed me over, the game refuse to recognize all the dlc i have

• Feels
Reactions: millais

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Got Holy Fury, I randomized the world and now all of Scandinavian is sub Saharan African. [Insert witty political commentary]

Anyways gonna make an fictional world where all of North Africa, and the Middle east is ruled by a single Islamic Caliphate where it's ruled by a sexy female ruler.

There was no need for music DLC for Holy Fury, fuck you Paradox.

Poop A Loop

kiwifarms.net
ZeCommissar's post on page 9 is a good summary. They're going to do a pretty big overhaul soon, so I'd wait until that comes out because (hopefully) it'll change the game up a lot and getting into it now would mean you'd have to learn a lot of mechanics that might get thrown out wholesale soon.
As it is now though, I have 126 hours in Stellaris and all the DLC and considering how much development went into it by now I can't really recommend it. It's not at the point yet where the DLC salvages it and honestly it might never get there. Maybe the content patch changes that, so again wait for that. The original game lacked vision and it seems like they've been playing catch-up ever since, but the game has some fundamental flaws that they might never be able to fix. A lot of people seem to like it as is though so don't take my word for it.
It definitely still feels that way. I don't know why people are so excited for the upcoming patch when it isn't the diplomacy rework. IMO that's been the biggest problem with Stellaris since release. I can see and totally agree with the econ problems that are being updated or resolved with the expansion/patch, but it doesn't really mean all that much to me when Federations are still shit and diplomatic interactions are pretty much set in stone upon galaxy generation. I want to see shifts in the balance of power similar to EU4 or CK2 brought about by internal problems.

Zaryiu

Nobody important
kiwifarms.net
Anyone know where to get an API? I looked it up and did find any downloads, i'm not paying Paradox anymore money especially since the last patch fucked up my copy of CKII (Most of Africa, the whole of the Tibetan plateau, and random parts of the maps in the rest of it are treated like certain mountains and desers were treated pre 3.0) so now it looks like a mess and i don't know to fix it

Splendid Meat Sticks

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
IDK why people play Stellaris. Is it just brand loyalty to Paradox, or do people just love real time with pause that much? Endless Space 2 is the superior space 4X.

Reactions: millais
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino