Paradox Studio Thread -

Favorite Paradox Game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WonderWino

kiwifarms.net
My preference is the HOI series, though not so much the third one, they screwed the pooch on that one

and my favorite thing about the game was the time someone brought up the idea of terror bombing civilians and some dev (note this was an actual dev that happened to be a forum mod as well, this is important) went absolutely spastic in a reply, threatened bans and screeched about how its immoral and against everything that the company stands for and even implied including such things would violate some laws in european countries, even started bringing the holocaust into it for some weird reason. In the midst of this spergout a user that was clearly more familiar with their own games than the devs themselves quietly loaded up the first HOI game, went into the research screen and took several screenshots of the option to research civilian terror bombing (which was a necessary research item for advancing toward getting heavier bombers and such), complete with the description it gave in the game about terror bombing civilians and posted it in the thread in reply to the devs spergout, flat out accusing him of having no clue what was included in their own games. The dev in question doubled down and kept threatening bans accusing the user of photoshopping said screenshots. It got to the point where somebody contacted whoever was in charge of community management, who escalated the situation to presumably the rest of the dev team, who clearly knew more than this spastic dev about their games, who proceeded to finally post an official response, apologizing for the behavior of the dev and stating that it was wrong to have included it in the first game at all, but at least confirming it was in fact included.

Needless to say this didn't reflect well on paradox for quite awhile. It cost them some good will and more than likely a few sales as well

Jan_Hus

Czech yourself before you wreck yourself
kiwifarms.net
My current Outremer empire is going well... Genghis Khan has arrived and he's currently taking my army behind the woodshed.

The Muslim nations are no threat, their moral authority is tanked... the only problem is that I lost the tax fields of Iraq and Iran to the fucking mongols

• Feels
Reactions: millais

Intelligent Calcium

kiwifarms.net
Stellaris' shitty performance is finally being addressed, though I'll wait for community reactions to see how much it actually improves.

Complete feature rundown for Federations.

God of Nothing

kiwifarms.net
Currently playing as Dobrava Turov, the only High Chieftess in 769. I have no idea if she was an actual historical figure and I sincerely doubt it, but goddamn is she quite possibly the best Slavic/Russian start in the entire game. Galicia-Volhynia can easily be conquered if either rulers with the two duchies conquer the other or your next door potential rival in Ruthenia. The high chief of Chernigov is the ruler of Smolensk's son and dies quite fast, which can get you parts of Vladimir if he goes to subjugate the deer fuckers there. You can create the Kingdom of Ruthenia and vassalize the lord of Illmenia if he doesn't take Polotsk.

By the end of this strat, Dobrava is in her early thirties and just several liberations as well as holy wars away from being capable of forming the Empire of Rus. You can even matrilinealy marry the special character with all three genetic traits in your court if you want the chance to get a broken heir. The only downside is having to deal with steppe niggas and tribal gavelkind, which has been mitigated through the new tribal duel events.

Conquering Barlad from the Bulgarians is pretty easy since Byzantium is always wrecking their shit, letting you even reform the slavic faith.

Reactions: Emperor Julian

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My preference is the HOI series, though not so much the third one, they screwed the pooch on that one

and my favorite thing about the game was the time someone brought up the idea of terror bombing civilians and some dev (note this was an actual dev that happened to be a forum mod as well, this is important) went absolutely spastic in a reply, threatened bans and screeched about how its immoral and against everything that the company stands for and even implied including such things would violate some laws in european countries, even started bringing the holocaust into it for some weird reason. In the midst of this spergout a user that was clearly more familiar with their own games than the devs themselves quietly loaded up the first HOI game, went into the research screen and took several screenshots of the option to research civilian terror bombing (which was a necessary research item for advancing toward getting heavier bombers and such), complete with the description it gave in the game about terror bombing civilians and posted it in the thread in reply to the devs spergout, flat out accusing him of having no clue what was included in their own games. The dev in question doubled down and kept threatening bans accusing the user of photoshopping said screenshots. It got to the point where somebody contacted whoever was in charge of community management, who escalated the situation to presumably the rest of the dev team, who clearly knew more than this spastic dev about their games, who proceeded to finally post an official response, apologizing for the behavior of the dev and stating that it was wrong to have included it in the first game at all, but at least confirming it was in fact included.

Needless to say this didn't reflect well on paradox for quite awhile. It cost them some good will and more than likely a few sales as well
Meanwhile Stellaris allows you to destroy planets + kill trillions of civilians and bioengineer species to be predisposed to slavery and being cannon fodder.

Weird company.

Intelligent Calcium

kiwifarms.net
Some minor drama, but it's a slow thread so might as well post it. Paradox held a multiplayer stream to promote the Federations DLC for Stellaris, in which one of the streamers (NoVirtue) used a resource exploit and ultimately won the game with an overwhelming advantage. Clear case? No, since NoVirtue is female, the other streamers are m'ladying her on reddit, which is pretty cucked but probably what you have to do if you want to continue working with Paradox. Her excuse is that she ran into a disadvantageous bug and had to use the exploit to even things out to "not ruin the experience for everyone else" (Why did she start cheating before the bug happened then? Couldn't she have just talked to the organizers? ), your call if you buy that. Ultimately it wasn't a tournament or anything, so who cares, I just find it comical that you can't even call out blatant cheaters anymore without some people feeling the need to defend the honor of female gamers or whatever.

Last edited:

Just Some Other Guy

kiwifarms.net
Some minor drama, but it's a slow thread so might as well post it. Paradox held a multiplayer stream to promote the Federations DLC for Stellaris, in which one of the streamers (NoVirtue) used a resource exploit and ultimately won the game with an overwhelming advantage. Clear case? No, since NoVirtue is female, the other streamers are m'ladying her on reddit, which is pretty cucked but probably what you have to do if you want to continue working with Paradox. Her excuse is that she ran into a disadvantageous bug and had to use the exploit to even things out to "not ruin the experience for everyone else" (Why did she start cheating before the bug happened then? Couldn't she have just talked to the organizers? ), your call if you buy that. Ultimately it wasn't a tournament or anything, so who cares, I just find it comical that you can't even call out blatant cheaters anymore without some people feeling the need to defend the honor of female gamers or whatever.

Lol @ "She's one of the best in the game!" due to hours played or some shit. Hours played =/= actual skill at something. I've watched my fair share of videos, and I can say that streamers aren't necessarily the best players.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
So anyone tested the new expansion and if so is it just some half-assed features crazy-glued on top of the old game with none of the old problems/balance addressed?

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Paradox streamers being simps is not really news.

Hans

"We're having a SALE!"
kiwifarms.net
Just got stellaris cause my friend wont shut up about it. Im stuck inside from corona chan and it was on sale so might as well

So anyone tested the new expansion and if so is it just some half-assed features crazy-glued on top of the old game with none of the old problems/balance addressed?
I wouldn't say either. The patch itself is the next incremental fleshing out of the game's features, some ui updates, some raising up of old bonuses to make them more attractive and some semi-resolving of problems that have plagued the game since launch. I still need to test out how well the game runs in a densely populated galaxy though, as the devs boasted of major improvements in that regard.

The DLC content is just kinda your-mileage-may-vary though, generally I recommend waiting for a sale.

Jan_Hus

Czech yourself before you wreck yourself
kiwifarms.net
Stellaris isn’t even a very good competitive game. It’s way too reliant on RNG and robots and hive minds still sweep over the galaxy.

And that’s perfectly okay.

Most of the fun of the game is making a brokenly overpowered empire and creating an interesting story

Last edited:

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't ever play such a game online.

Also heh, waiting for a sale. As if I'd ever give paradox money again. I pirated it and paradox moved some civics into a new "origin" category. I think all the stuff that's new was already added by mods at some point. You could've literally accomplished the same effect by giving you an extra civics pick. Big deal. I don't really get why people fellate paradox over that origin thing, seems pretty unimpressive to be honest.

Haven't seen the diplomacy yet so maybe that's better/more interesting. Barring being spawned besides some very agressive neighbours and having to fight for survival, mid-game always turned boring. Maybe that'll make it better.

Last edited:

Dreamland

Mural of coral and cold
kiwifarms.net

I hope nobody mistakes Stellaris Multiplayer as something even remotely suited for competitive play with all the horrific cheese, bugs, and random elements and events that can ruin someone's play with little one can do to prevent it (spawning next to a FP, getting bottled up by a FE).
However I like playing it with friends where you can take a mulligan if the game fucks you over or just go co-op against the galaxy at highest difficulty.

Reactions: Slap47

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
All my militaristic void dwelling space elves based on the Humankind Empire of Abh want to do is build their habitats and let the poor planet dwelling peoples frolic in the dirt without interference.

But for SOME REASON everyone thought it would be a good idea to give determined assimilators a seat on the Galactic council and now those fucks are demanding synth rights that would take up precious habitat space, and invasive xeno studies of pre-FTL planet dwellers (how dishonorable, it's like kicking a puppy). And they have the audacity to tell our divine Emperor we are sanctioned?! I think a whole bunch of planet dwellers will be made to drink the void and learn why we are the children of the stars!

*EDIT* The Punitive attack was successful, the perfidious machines were slaughtered in their multitude. An emergency resolution is now pending before the Galactic Senate to kick them permanently off the council as they are now so weak. We are confident it will pass.

Honestly federations is pretty good. Its opened up way more roleplay potential. The AI isnt braindead AF anymore either.

Last edited:

Poop A Loop

kiwifarms.net
Honestly federations is pretty good. Its opened up way more roleplay potential. The AI isnt braindead AF anymore either.
Had a cool interaction with the AI where a slaving empire was just about to swallow up a bunch of pathetic pacifists. I was building up my military because those slavers hated my guts too and that little buffer state was all that was standing between the both of us. Lo and behold that little buffer state goes and makes itself a vassal of the more legit rival to the slavers and the war suddenly stopped. Pretty interesting gamesmanship. It was probably just random chance but was still cool. I hadn't seen an interaction like that in previous patches.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Slap47

Kaede Did Nothing Wrong

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

simp.png

haha you weren't kidding

Tags
None