Paradox Studio Thread -

Favorite Paradox Game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vulgar

kiwifarms.net
It's disappointing how low Paradox has fallen these past few years. I've been sick of their DLC policy since EU4 and I'm glad Leviathan is getting ass-fucked like no tommorow

Victoria 2 is their magnum opus, even though it's a clunky mess and shows its age, it doesn't feel like a cash grab like the newer titles with like 20 DLC
I think a lot of the love shown towards Vicky2 is mostly in spite of new Paradox rather than genuine love for the game, in the same way people cherish New Vegas to spite new Bethesda.

both Vicky2 and New Vegas have some pretty deep flaws, the love for the games are more symbolic of what the future could've been rather than the future these companies took us in.

Vicky2 and New Vegas are both great, but they're no where near "magnum opus," they're just not the casualized shit that these companies have evolved to feed us.

Tercio

Defeating the French
kiwifarms.net
I think a lot of the love shown towards Vicky2 is mostly in spite of new Paradox rather than genuine love for the game, in the same way people cherish New Vegas to spite new Bethesda.

both Vicky2 and New Vegas have some pretty deep flaws, the love for the games are more symbolic of what the future could've been rather than the future these companies took us in.

Vicky2 and New Vegas are both great, but they're no where near "magnum opus," they're just not the casualized shit that these companies have evolved to feed us.
Yeah I think that's a fairer assessment of Victoria 2
Too bad if they ever release a Victoria 3 this day and age they'll wreck the older game's pop system, something which makes Vic2 unique and abstract it to something that'll be half the scope of 2's pop system

Marshal Mannerheim

Koti, uskonto, ja isänmaa.
kiwifarms.net
You've all seen plenty of big blue blobs in EU4. You've maybe even seen a big blue blob in CK2 when the Capets decide to revive the Spanish March. But have you ever seen a big blue blob in After the End?
Meet Louis II, Emperor of the Cajuns.
ck2_54.png

and, if you're that interested, his grandad, St Louis the Warrior-Philosopher:
ck2_52.png

"But where's his realm?" I hear you cry. "Come on now, Marshal, you can't expect us to believe that a dinky realm that's just made up of South Louisiana counts as an empire!"
Well, think again:
ck2_50.png

Yes, that is Iowa the Pays d'en Haut, the Ozarks the Royaume d'Aux Arcs, the Bahamas the Duché de Nouvelle-Providence and Haiti. The motto of the de Bourbon family, of course, is "ARRÊTE LE MAUDIT BORDERGORE MAINTENANT VOUS-AUTRES CONSUMERISTES OU JE FERAI LA GUERRE".
Seriously, consumerist revolts on your border are bad enough because you have to share a border with a zealous guy and about 10,000 event troops. Consumerist revolt leaders who decide to have six sons before kicking the bucket then create a million different kingdoms and set their inheritance laws to gavelkind, thus producing the mess you can see to the left of the Big Blue Blob™, are even worse. At one point we had a Kingdom Corporation of Lesser Texas that held no land within Lesser Texas because it got kicked out by a Catholic uprising, and Comancheria is held by a Consumerist queen with a bunch of Catholic vassals that somehow haven't chucked her out yet.

Oh, and yes, that's Americanist Hudsonia ruled by a Lucumí guy that owns half of Cuba. I'd assume the Americanist duke of Gitmo somehow married into the Hudsonian royal family but I have no idea how that would happen or why the new king would go on and conquer Cuba. Basically, everything in this game is weird and I'm just trying to bring all of New France and then some under the French yoke. Oh, and the Mormons just declared a shitty Mormon knockoff version of a jihad on me:
ck2_48.png

Va te faire foutre.

Marshal Mannerheim

kiwifarms.net
>Paradox claims they strive for historical accuracy
>the Holocaust isn't even mentioned in the Hearts of Iron games

:thinking:
The ironic thing is that genocide doesn't exist in eras where everyone was genociding everyone else but as a nomad in CK2 you can pillage holdings to the ground and effectively genocide counties.

Mnutu

kiwifarms.net
I’m sure there are an endless number of examples for Paradox whining about their forums, but I still get a kick out of the first 2021 CK3 newsletter. EVERYONE hated that post.

Snekposter

Hiding from the Frontier fallout.
kiwifarms.net
The paradox forums are not having it

"Pay attention to what Paradox are doing and how they are shifting the narrative of the conversation.
They claim, in public, they are receiving death threats and people are calling for them to lose their livelihoods. Neither of these things are okay, and people who do this should be ashamed of themselves.
But the narrative then somehow changes to, if you're harshly criticising this game, you're basically in bed with those very, very few people who are saying terrible things.
Thus, Paradox are basically immune from criticism. You either fall in-line and praise the psychological horror of a release that is Leviathan, or you're in bed with the worst kinds of people on the internet.
It's an intentional PR move from Paradox. Nothing else."

They've fucked up without a doubt, and now they're clipping Imperator's wings that it sprouted with 2.0 just to clean up the scatological mess that Paradox Tinto created.
Unfortunately, they've already deleted that thread. Things must be even worse than I thought.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
Both games are very flawed, but they are also very fun and the best in their genre in most aspects.

Radola Gajda

kiwifarms.net
I’m sure there are an endless number of examples for Paradox whining about their forums, but I still get a kick out of the first 2021 CK3 newsletter. EVERYONE hated that post.
What was it about?
I dont follow CK 3 since launch.
I played two campaigns back then. ERE -> Roman Empire.
And I united Slavs as Pagan Bohemia.
And in both cases I did exact same things. There was almost no flavour. Pretty much like in Imperator

Mnutu

kiwifarms.net
What was it about?
And in both cases I did exact same things. There was almost no flavour. Pretty much like in Imperator
After their Dev Diary 47 in December 2020, in which they had yet mentioned any dlc info, the team went radio silent until February. Everyone was really itching for anything substantial, as this DLC would be the first of their new CK3 dlc model. No one had any idea what to expect and started to get really antsy. Rather than throwing out a little info or a small hint (something like “the new dlc is on the way soon and it’s chilling!”), their first dev diary in over two months absolutely sidestepped dlc and just talked about the new team members. Even the ass kissers had to preface their posts with “this wasn’t the best idea for this dev diary and I’m disappointed”. It was phenomenal.

I actually like CK3 over CK2 because it’s approach is more interesting even if it’s not executed well. It remains to be seen how well future DLC will remedy this, which is a shitty business practice but I’m already addicted. I want every dlc to flesh cultures and governments better, and increase the variety and frequency of life events. I know that is not going to happen, with each new dlc breaking the game over the last one like Northern Lords has with Vikings.

Jimjamflimflam

kiwifarms.net
Fighting off a crusade on one way, and 5 uprisings on the other front. Bloody battle all around, peasant leaders some how able to escape my clutches and always one step ahead of the pursuing army. Getting reports of many leaders killed in battle, my son getting greviously wounded. sieges won and lost, bodies choking the rivers with blood. when suddenly

"MY LORD!!!!! THE SCULLERY MAID HAD A CHILD OUT OF WEDLOCK!"
"MY LEIGE!!!! THIS COURTIER HAD AN AFFAIR WITH SOME DUKE OF WHO GIVES A FUCK!"
"MY PROTECTOR! YOUR GRAND NEPHEW BROTHER SON HAD A BABY!"
"MY KING! YOUR ASS WIPER ATTENDANT DOESN'T BELIEVE INT HE OLD GODS!"
"MY DEFENDER OF THE REALM! YOUR RETARDED 7 REMOVED COUSIN OF NO-WHERE-STAN STUBBED HER TOE!"
"MY TRUE RULER! THE FAGGOT WHO EATS SHIT FOR A LIVING CAUGHT THE FLU!"

I swear whenever the game gets the most intense in war, its when your stupid spy master feels the need to notify you of EVERYTHING in your realm regardless of how small it really is.

AcidityLiquidity

Just a meaty goddamn coin slot. A beefy void.
kiwifarms.net
What was it about?
Base parajew games are always bland AF, I made a Coomer religion where everyone was naked which was goofy fun but it was just the same as any other play through minus some autistic attempts at eugenics to get big mommy milkers on all the women in my dynasty.

Side note, the eugenics stuff is really fun in CK3. Breeding in traits is easy but adding different races actually visually changes how they come out looking, and you can even mess around and breed in height, weight, and facial stuff. Would play a genuine eugenics sim if they ever made one.

Marshal Mannerheim

kiwifarms.net
And there you have it, folks. Somewhere, Charlemagne is smiling.
ck2_57.png

Now if you will excuse me I have to drive the English back behind the Appalachians and reconquer the Caribbean. Off to Santo Domingo Saint-Dominique, Puerto Rico Porte-Riche and Mississippi Méchasebbi we go!

Jan_Hus

Czechnuts roasting on an open fire
kiwifarms.net
Ck3 has nothing on ck2 when it comes to background events and flavor for the different playable areas.

While the character and dynastic game is much stronger in ck3, ck2 succeeded in being a playable norse saga or epic poem. Reapers Due might be a bloated mess that causes the framerate to tank but it has some of my favorite events in the entire game

A lot of the dynamism (like the curia mechanics or antipopes) came with later dlcs.

Hell I want the game breaking artifacts back (within reason of course). I adored finding the Lance of Longinius or the Holy Grail whilst out on crusade.

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really want antipopes back. Fucking with the pope was my favorite part of CK2 and imprisoning him and cannibalizing him just isn't the same as spending years setting up an antipope and having him excommunicate anyone I didn't like.

Coronation is another mechanic that desperately needs to be reimplemented.