Patreon Faces New Legal Peril Under California Law - Local Weather Man see Wonderful Change

Water-T

MY PRECIOUSESSSSSS!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So....any bets that Conte and his Patreon cohorts will run off with as much cash as they can carry, and leave a bunch of troons and NPCs lying in the dirt with their dicks in their hands? It's pretty much the only option they have that doesn't result in them either losing more money by appealing this or lose face AND cash by having to pay restitution to the right wingers they fucked over.

Leonard Helplessness

kiwifarms.net
So....any bets that Conte and his Patreon cohorts will run off with as much cash as they can carry, and leave a bunch of troons and NPCs lying in the dirt with their dicks in their hands? It's pretty much the only option they have that doesn't result in them either losing more money by appealing this or lose face AND cash by having to pay restitution to the right wingers they fucked over.
Even if they cut and run, they may still be fucked into the ground by the arbitration agreement that they wrote and that they failed to wiggle out of. I doubt the courts ever look kindly upon a business closing its doors and liquidating to escape its contractual liabilities.

Terrifik

kiwifarms.net
Even if they cut and run, they may still be fucked into the ground by the arbitration agreement that they wrote and that they failed to wiggle out of. I doubt the courts ever look kindly upon a business closing its doors and liquidating to escape its contractual liabilities.
its a stairing game which chicken moves first. :popcorn:
Everyone saying they will run with money close. when their defaulting & Bankruptcy.
Question is does Milo , Sargon & Lauren southern , Anime artist , want to kill paterion which is king of Nottingham in silcon valley or wait till they try to send it to court of appeals to drag the case.( assissinate or pay off the lawyer) (it's a death blow to pateron i f yo use the bullet buy, rots to complancy :story: or morale high rode /Optics)

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
its a stairing game which chicken moves first. :popcorn:
Everyone saying they will run with money close. when their defaulting & Bankruptcy.
Question is does Milo , Sargon & Lauren southern , Anime artist , want to kill paterion which is king of Nottingham in silcon valley or wait till they try to send it to court of appeals to drag the case.( assissinate or pay off the lawyer) (it's a death blow to pateron i f yo use the bullet buy, rots to complancy :story: or morale high rode /Optics)
Fucking kill it. Burn it to the ground. It's just a source of money for SJWs. All it really is is funding for the enemy at this point.

This is why Switzerland took anyone's money and could remain neutral.

I would love it if Sargon was the one to burn Patreon to the ground. The head of every troon and NPC would explode, Scanners style.
For once his angel of death mojo would be useful.

Balr0g

kiwifarms.net
Fucking kill it. Burn it to the ground. It's just a source of money for SJWs. All it really is is funding for the enemy at this point.

This is why Switzerland took anyone's money and could remain neutral.

For once his angel of death mojo would be useful.
I can already hear the cry of DSP "My MONNEYYYYYY!" from miles away. I mean he still has his patreon though it's just a drop in the Money bucket. I bet Thots are shivering in their skimpy underwear Right now though

GranDuke

kiwifarms.net
As I understand Benjamin's fans sued rather quick after his removal. Can Sargon's minions even do that now?

The-Patriarchy

Objectivity is Racist
kiwifarms.net
My understanding is that Sargon’s supporter base was just used as an example. Anyone who supported somebody that got banned from Patreon may be able to pursue arbitration under this ruling and they don’t necessarily have to act as a single coordinated unit to do so, from the sound of things. If I was Patreon I’d be less worried about Sargon rallying his supporters and more about this shit getting signal boosted until a mob of bitter Sargon fans, Milo fans, Alex Jones fans, furries, bronies, and god knows what else sets upon the company like the starving mob setting upon the hapless goat in that one scene from Noah.
Based on what I've seen/read about it- Sargon was named because he's high profile and had lots of followers. The same thing has been said about Milo Yiannopolis, and/or Dave Rubin- often in the same source. I assume Sargon is highlighted because he is basically the one that the commentators feel is most likely to mobilize his followers to go for the kill shot. Milo had enough followers in a similar situation that he could potentially cause as much, if not more, damage, but I think I agree that Milo is less likely to choose the nuclear option when he smells blood in the water.

Will Sargon do it? I guess that depends how much he wants to stick it to Patreon. I wouldn't blame him if he did- but I suspect that Sargon has moved on and probably doesn't want to deal with it.... but I could be wrong.

Terrifik

kiwifarms.net
1596261931009.png

1596261975969.png

Lauren Southern is now taking the first steps in a lawsuit against Patreon
Speaking exclusively to National File, Lauren Southern revealed that she is taking the first steps into suing Patreon for deplatforming her.
Earlier this week, Patreon lost a lawsuit against fans of Owen Benjamin, who was kicked off the platform due to allegedly violating their policies on hate speech, inspiring Southern to take similar action against the platform.

Southern, the Canadian investigative journalist, was one of the first prominent conservatives to be removed from Patreon in 2017. Southern went on to crowd fund documentaries without the help of the platform.

Speaking to National File, Southern revealed that she is speaking with attorney Marc Randazza, the lawyer who handled the cases of the Owen Benjamin fans, on Friday “to see what steps we can take going forward with Patreon.”

“After the initial case was won this week, I tweeted that any former donors of mine should get in touch if they want to join us in an action against Patreon,” Southern told National File, before acknowledging that “While the initial judgement declared that ‘Patreon changed the rules in the middle of the game’ by changing their Terms of Service, this may not apply to our case.”

Southern continued, “If you have logged into Patreon and accept the new ToS, then you likely will not be eligible to join this action. However, anyone who has deleted their account since the ToS change, or simply not logged in, would not be affected by this.”

“If this is you, please send an email to laurensoutherndocs@gmail.com,” said Southern. “I, of course, don’t want to say anything that may jeopardize any action we do take, but I will be providing updates in the future.”

Patreon is expected to lose millions in legal fees after suing a group of Owen Benjamin fans who the comedian suggested sue the platform after he claimed it tortuously interfered with the business relationship between Benjamin and the Patreon subscribers who paid to receive his content.

As National File reported:

Patreon’s terms included language that allowed any users of the platform to litigate their case individually under California’s JAMS arbitration scheme.

Under California law, Patreon would have to pay the arbitration fees up front, as each user would have to be dealt with on a one to one basis. These fees range from a few thousand dollars to over ten thousand dollars per case. It is unclear how many users intended to sue the platform…

The formal judgement was revealed on Wednesday, with the ruling being solidly based on previous California legal findings. Patreon will now have to go through arbitration with each of the fans, and will not be able to recoup any of the fees, even if they win the individual cases.

Patreon may face more lawsuits in the coming days in addition to Southern’s, as the precedent may allow the platform to be sued by other creators and fans of creators who have been removed from the platform, including Carl Benjamin, also known as Sargon of Akkad.

Tags: Big TechCensorshipEXCLUSIVELauren SouthernPatreon

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1487868
View attachment 1487869
Lauren Southern is now taking the first steps in a lawsuit against Patreon
Speaking exclusively to National File, Lauren Southern revealed that she is taking the first steps into suing Patreon for deplatforming her.
Earlier this week, Patreon lost a lawsuit against fans of Owen Benjamin, who was kicked off the platform due to allegedly violating their policies on hate speech, inspiring Southern to take similar action against the platform.

Southern, the Canadian investigative journalist, was one of the first prominent conservatives to be removed from Patreon in 2017. Southern went on to crowd fund documentaries without the help of the platform.

Speaking to National File, Southern revealed that she is speaking with attorney Marc Randazza, the lawyer who handled the cases of the Owen Benjamin fans, on Friday “to see what steps we can take going forward with Patreon.”

“After the initial case was won this week, I tweeted that any former donors of mine should get in touch if they want to join us in an action against Patreon,” Southern told National File, before acknowledging that “While the initial judgement declared that ‘Patreon changed the rules in the middle of the game’ by changing their Terms of Service, this may not apply to our case.”

Southern continued, “If you have logged into Patreon and accept the new ToS, then you likely will not be eligible to join this action. However, anyone who has deleted their account since the ToS change, or simply not logged in, would not be affected by this.”

“If this is you, please send an email to laurensoutherndocs@gmail.com,” said Southern. “I, of course, don’t want to say anything that may jeopardize any action we do take, but I will be providing updates in the future.”

Patreon is expected to lose millions in legal fees after suing a group of Owen Benjamin fans who the comedian suggested sue the platform after he claimed it tortuously interfered with the business relationship between Benjamin and the Patreon subscribers who paid to receive his content.

As National File reported:

Patreon’s terms included language that allowed any users of the platform to litigate their case individually under California’s JAMS arbitration scheme.

Under California law, Patreon would have to pay the arbitration fees up front, as each user would have to be dealt with on a one to one basis. These fees range from a few thousand dollars to over ten thousand dollars per case. It is unclear how many users intended to sue the platform…

The formal judgement was revealed on Wednesday, with the ruling being solidly based on previous California legal findings. Patreon will now have to go through arbitration with each of the fans, and will not be able to recoup any of the fees, even if they win the individual cases.

Patreon may face more lawsuits in the coming days in addition to Southern’s, as the precedent may allow the platform to be sued by other creators and fans of creators who have been removed from the platform, including Carl Benjamin, also known as Sargon of Akkad.

Tags: Big TechCensorshipEXCLUSIVELauren SouthernPatreon
And so it begins...

Very curious if lawsuit was the correct word used seeing as you waive you're right to a lawsuit when you agree to Patreon's ToS, BUT California consumer protections laws state you can't give up your right to take them to court. Who knows.
:popcorn:

Reactions: Ms. Cegination

The-Patriarchy

Objectivity is Racist
kiwifarms.net
Will Sargon do it? I guess that depends how much he wants to stick it to Patreon. I wouldn't blame him if he did- but I suspect that Sargon has moved on and probably doesn't want to deal with it.... but I could be wrong.
Oops, spoke too soon, Sargon did a video right around when I posted this where he's clearly *not* over it. He went hard in the paint on Jack Conte and then told his followers how to screw patreon over and "it's up to you, it's your choice"

Yeah, he's not over it ;)

Tags
None