PBS' Arthur Makes Mr Ratburn Sucking Cock Canon - WOW SO PROGESSIVE

Truthspeaker

Walking that line between victim and ex-lover
kiwifarms.net
It's not like this is a new thing.

Anybody remember the replacement teacher from Hey Arnold?

They did everything short of a gay wedding with this guy: He's obsessed with theater and poetry; he shares his initials and his family name with the only '80s celebrity less believably heterosexual than Michael Jackson; Helga, who was the best character on the show and got the most screentime of anyone but Arnold, routinely derides him for being a fag using every insult that could conceivably get greenlit for Nickelodeon at the time, including calling him a throw pillow in his very first episode; the woman he replaced left teaching to become a professional golfer; his voice actor's openly gay; and Arnold and Helga once crashed his Thanksgiving, only to find Mama Simmons giving her son shit for bringing his boyfriend over.

The Thanksgiving clip's from '98.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
It's not like this is a new thing.

Anybody remember the replacement teacher from Hey Arnold?

They did everything short of a gay wedding with this guy: He's obsessed with theater and poetry; he shares his initials and his family name with the only '80s celebrity less believably heterosexual than Michael Jackson; Helga, who was the best character on the show and got the most screentime of anyone but Arnold, routinely derides him for being a fag using every insult that could conceivably get greenlit for Nickelodeon at the time, including calling him a throw pillow in his very first episode; the woman he replaced left teaching to become a professional golfer; his voice actor's openly gay; and Arnold and Helga once crashed his Thanksgiving, only to find Mama Simmons giving her son shit for bringing his boyfriend over.

The Thanksgiving clip's from '98.
Except, Bartlett’s smart enough to not be exploitative with it

Reactions: Trilby

Truthspeaker

kiwifarms.net
Except, Bartlett’s smart enough to not be exploitative with it
What's so exploitaitive about this?

Having an openly gay teacher hasn't been unusual in the lifetime of most of Arthur's viewers. I had two openly gay teachers when I was in public school, even though I grew up in a red county, and that was well before Obergefell v. Hodges. The unusual thing now, especially among those who work in the US media, is to oppose gay marriage.

Bartlett said himself that Mr. Simmons was openly gay, and the only reason it wasn't more explicit in the show is because the network at the time wouldn't allow it. As opposed to now, where they'd probably request it. I believe we've gone too far in the other direction with this stuff, but this isn't anything at all unusual for the current western environment. If anything, it's quite late and conservative.

Except the bit about having an anthropomorphic rat marry an anthropomorphic aardvark. That's just unnatural.

Last edited:

sperginity

everything is terrible
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kids who grew up on the original arthur are kinda cynical imo, every 90s show had anti-drug or anti-smoking storylines artificially inserted into what was supposed to be mindless entertainment. Every kid tried who just tried to watch tv eventually got interrupted with some shitty, preachy, unrealistic story about how you can totally die from doing a weed! After school specials at least told you what they were about, but they weren't really around in the 90s anymore, in their absence TV writers fooled kids into being lectured in their free time. I can understand feeling cheated and automatically skeptical of any kind of political message being written into a show, however...this seems like exactly the correct way to deal with gay people. It isn't a huge celebration of being gay it is just a fact about him and is not a big deal.

UnKillFill

I'm sorry you had to go through this son...
kiwifarms.net
It's been well over a decade since I've even seen an episode of Arthur, but I was under the impression the gay teacher hated his students, why the fuck would he invite all of them to his gay wedding? Why do they seem to be the majority of the guests at said wedding?

Truthspeaker

kiwifarms.net
It's been well over a decade since I've even seen an episode of Arthur, but I was under the impression the gay teacher hated his students, why the fuck would he invite all of them to his gay wedding? Why do they seem to be the majority of the guests at said wedding?
Ratburn never hated his students. They hated him because he's a taskmaster. He's the Dark Souls of slice-of-life teachers.

Trilby

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kids who grew up on the original arthur are kinda cynical imo, every 90s show had anti-drug or anti-smoking storylines artificially inserted into what was supposed to be mindless entertainment. Every kid tried who just tried to watch tv eventually got interrupted with some shitty, preachy, unrealistic story about how you can totally die from doing a weed! After school specials at least told you what they were about, but they weren't really around in the 90s anymore, in their absence TV writers fooled kids into being lectured in their free time. I can understand feeling cheated and automatically skeptical of any kind of political message being written into a show, however...this seems like exactly the correct way to deal with gay people. It isn't a huge celebration of being gay it is just a fact about him and is not a big deal.
I do wish those after school specials came back.

• Feels
Reactions: sperginity
U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
What's so exploitaitive about this?

Having an openly gay teacher hasn't been unusual in the lifetime of most of Arthur's viewers. I had two openly gay teachers when I was in public school, even though I grew up in a red county, and that was well before Obergefell v. Hodges. The unusual thing now, especially among those who work in the US media, is to oppose gay marriage.

Bartlett said himself that Mr. Simmons was openly gay, and the only reason it wasn't more explicit in the show is because the network at the time wouldn't allow it. As opposed to now, where they'd probably request it. I believe we've gone too far in the other direction with this stuff, but this isn't anything at all unusual for the current western environment. If anything, it's quite late and conservative.

Except the bit about having an anthtopomorphic rat marry an anthropomorphic aardvark. That's just unnatural.
I don’t care about Ratdick being gay, but the way they announced it definitely gives the impression that they did it for woke points, not because they thought it suited the character.

UnKillFill

kiwifarms.net
Again, I haven't seen Arthur in years, but yeah... the obviously gay teacher is obviously gay... When are the other obviously gay Arthur characters going to come out? (I don't offhand remember any names, but Arthur's dad, the tomboy girl in Arthur's class, the bully kid in Arthur's class, etc.) Also, pretty sure Arthur's sister is going to be a dyke when she grows up.

U

UF 404

kiwifarms.net
Again, I haven't seen Arthur in years, but yeah... the obviously gay teacher is obviously gay... When are the other obviously gay Arthur characters going to come out?
I'm seeing a lot of people say stuff like this, how it was obvious that he was gay all along. Can someone give me some specific examples of why? Maybe I'm just dense but I don't really remember indications. Sure, many characters were very friendly and somewhat eccentric, but it's a kids show so that's to be expected. And it's not like those traits necessarily have anything to do with being gay.

UnKillFill

kiwifarms.net
I'm seeing a lot of people say stuff like this, how it was obvious that he was gay all along. Can someone give me some specific examples of why? Maybe I'm just dense but I don't really remember indications. Sure, many characters were very friendly and somewhat eccentric, but it's a kids show so that's to be expected. And it's not like those traits necessarily have anything to do with being gay.
The one thing I remember about Arthur is the gay rat teacher swimming in a pool, you see his nose and it looks like a shark fin... then it shows the rest of him, and he goes "haay"...

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino