PBS' Arthur Makes Mr Ratburn Sucking Cock Canon - WOW SO PROGESSIVE

Mrs Paul

Yinzer Kiwi
kiwifarms.net
I'm not really that familiar with Arthur, but it seems like it's just, "teacher's getting married, and his spouse happens to be another dude." That's it. Kids will probably just take it in stride, as long as adults do. They'll forget about it and go back to whatever they were doing. Adults ALWAYS make things worse when they fuss over everything. (Think the whole big deal over "violent video games", or "heavy metal music" for example)

You know, you can't shelter kids forever. They're going to encounter gay people. Some of them probably already have gay teachers, gay relatives, or honestly, are gay themselves. (No, you don't "turn gay".) Better to just treat it like, "some people are straight, and then sometimes you meet people who are gay. They're basically just like everyone else."

Plus, Arthur's for what, six-year-olds? Most of them at that age don't give a shit about sex, unless they want to know how babies are made.

Truthspeaker

Walking that line between victim and ex-lover
kiwifarms.net
I don’t care about Ratdick being gay, but the way they announced it definitely gives the impression that they did it for woke points, not because they thought it suited the character.
That was just thinkpiece writers, you sperg.

The episode itself neither advertized Ratburn was marrying a dude in advanced, nor did the episode itself bring up he was marrying a dude 'til the last act, nor was it treated in the very-special fashion once it was revealed. Which you could've found out if you read an actual synopsis of the episode, like in the second paragraph of this article.

There are times when this has been done in a damaging and gratuitous way, like when Smithers came out of the closet in The Simpsons. I didn't even like Willow turning into a lesbian in Season 4 of Buffy, since it was so obvious Xander was intended to be the gay one and I didn't really like Tara for at least a season after she was introduced. But this doesn't compare to those in any way, and you're only committed to acting otherwise because you decided in advanced what the story was really about the moment you read the headline rather than spending even thirty seconds clicking a link and reading what went on.

There's no faster path to becoming a right-wing equivalent of an SJW.

Nothing controversial about it and it's not like they were advertising it. It was kind of just "oh hey guess what he is marrying a guy lol"
It actually reminded me of the Captain Underpants book revealing Harold (the white one who drew the comics) was married to a man when they did a time travel segment. Nobody made a big deal about that. It was just something that happened as a detail in a part of a larger story.

The only reason we haven't seen more incidental gayness in big-budget movies is because of the Chinese Market, which has been the worst artistic infliction to happen to Hollywoid since the Hays Code.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net

The episode itself neither advertized Ratburn was marrying a dude in advanced, nor did the episode itself bring up he was marrying a dude 'til the last act, nor was it treated in the very-special fashion once it was revealed. Which you could've found out if you read an actual synopsis of the episode, like in the second paragraph of this article.

There are times when this has been done in a damaging and gratuitous way, like when Smithers came out of the closet in The Simpsons. I didn't even like Willow turning into a lesbian in Season 4 of Buffy, since it was so obvious Xander was intended to be the gay one and I didn't really like Tara for at least a season after she was introduced. But this doesn't compare to those in any way, and you're only committed to acting otherwise because you decided in advanced what the story was really about the moment you read the headline rather than spending even thirty seconds clicking a link and reading what went on.

There's no faster path to becoming a right-wing equivalent of an SJW.

It actually reminded me of the Captain Underpants book revealing Harold (the white one who drew the comics) was married to a man when they did a time travel segment. Nobody made a big deal about that. It was just something that happened as a detail in a part of a larger story.

The only reason we haven't seen more incidental gayness in big-budget movies is because of the Chinese Market, which has been the worst artistic infliction to happen to Hollywoid since the Hays Code.
I’m sorry I didn’t think long, hard, and veiny about a gay rat from an educational cartoon while writing a brief, admittedly shitty post in the walmart checkout line okay, calm down nigger.

Truthspeaker

Walking that line between victim and ex-lover
kiwifarms.net
I’m sorry I didn’t think long, hard, and veiny about a gay rat from an educational cartoon while writing a brief, admittedly shitty post in the walmart checkout line okay, calm down nigger.
I didn't think long or hard about this either. It didn't even take a minute for me to read the synopsis.

U

UF 404

kiwifarms.net

Revealing a character from such a popular and long running series to be gay in the current climate is going to be blown out of proportion by both sides regardless of what the reveal was like or the intent of the creators.

As I said earlier, I don't really like what they did with him or the series in general, but I will agree that this scene could've been way worse. It's not like Mr Ratburn pranced around with a pride flag and his students said "I'm glad we moved out of the dark ages where this used to be shunned" and then Francine made out with Sue Ellen. However, I don't think it's possible today to reveal a character as iconic as Mr Ratburn to be gay without resulting in people losing their minds and treating it like it's a bigger deal than the creators intended it to be.

Mrs Paul

Yinzer Kiwi
kiwifarms.net
What sucked about Smithers coming out of the closet is that the whole "he's gay, but we don't come out and say it" made it a hell of a lot funnier. You know? Granted, the Simpsons itself has sucked for a while now, but c'mon, that just totally screwed one of the best parts of the character. Everyone KNEW Smithers was gay (well, except Mr. Burns)

They should've just cancelled the damned show a long time ago.

Travoltron

kiwifarms.net
I agree, closeted gays make for great character comedy.
I never thought "look, it's a fag!" humor was funny, like you'd see in 70s and 80s movies sometimes.

• Agree
Reactions: CakeCutey

Super-Chevy454

kiwifarms.net
What sucked about Smithers coming out of the closet is that the whole "he's gay, but we don't come out and say it" made it a hell of a lot funnier. You know? Granted, the Simpsons itself has sucked for a while now, but c'mon, that just totally screwed one of the best parts of the character. Everyone KNEW Smithers was gay (well, except Mr. Burns)

They should've just cancelled the damned show a long time ago.
It reminds me of these classics Simpsons moments.

nostalgiaisadrug

iconicGORL
kiwifarms.net

The first episode of the 22nd series of children's programme Arthur features the character Mr Ratburn marrying his aardvark partner, Patrick.
But APT instead ran an old episode, and announced it had no plans to show the premiere.
Programming director Mike McKenzie said broadcasting it would break parents' trust in the network.
In a statement, Mr McKenzie said "parents trust that their children can watch APT without their supervision", and that children "younger than the 'target' audience" might watch without parental knowledge.

Show creator WGBH and broadcaster PBS reportedly alerted local stations in April about the episode, and Mr McKenzie said this was when they decided not to air the show.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino