Culture People are offended that Miley Cyrus called virginity a ‘social construct’ -

thotfull or thoughtful?

• thoughtful

• THOT

Results are only viewable after voting.

CatParty

Boo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

In yet another chapter of Miley Cyrus’ long history of being provocative and controversial, the pop singer is most recently under fire for calling virginity a “social construct.”

With her recent “Mother’s Daughter” video and She is Coming EP, Cyrus is continuing to push empowering feminist narratives. Cyrus is clearly trying to continue that narrative on Instagram.

The first post in question, from July 9, shows a still of Cyrus from the “Mother’s Daughter” video with the phrase, “Virginity is a social construct.” Cyrus’ second post features her latex-covered hands around a vagina dentata, or a vagina with teeth, reiterating the phrase.

The controversy stems from the phrase “virginity is a social construct,” as some feel it is an attack on people who value their virginity.

“Honestly you shouldn’t be posting stuff like that,” Instagram user @anastasiiama wrote. “You should respect people’s choices and respect the fact that you have a young audience too. It’s not okay to shame people that chose to stay virgin.”

Some think Cyrus is rejecting science with her claim.

“That’s like saying puberty or menstration [SIC] is a social contract,” Instagram user @geoffcowan87 wrote. “They’re physical things, they involve physical changes. The strange stigmas people place on them are certainly through social constructs, but virginity itself is not. The ‘value’ we place on it is”

Others said they felt the posts attacked religious beliefs.

“I mean to some people are religious they should be able to believe and put importance on it because it is to them I think it shouldn’t be used to judge peoples character,” Instagram user @_fighting.evil.by.moonlight_ wrote.

However, some people felt empowered by Cyrus’ post. Instagram user @boovu detailed how they felt the concept of virginity has been used to police women and their bodies.

“Yes and placing a woman’s value based on virginity is a social construct designed by men to belittle and enslaved women,” the user wrote.

I mean... in a sense she's correct, but I suppose it depends on what she means as "virginity".

The state of having had sex or not having had sex is a real thing, but not a physical one. So in that sense, virginity exists as a binary state.

The associations with virginity are certainly a social construct. Being "a virgin" is no physically different from being "not a virgin".

For Miley Cyrus it's remarkably sane and makes some sense, so I'll give it to her.

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
I mean... in a sense she's correct, but I suppose it depends on what she means as "virginity".

The state of having had sex or not having had sex is a real thing, but not a physical one. So in that sense, virginity exists as a binary state.

The associations with virginity are certainly a social construct. Being "a virgin" is no physically different from being "not a virgin".

For Miley Cyrus it's remarkably sane and makes some sense, so I'll give it to her.
But just because something isn't necessarily marked by a physical change doesn't make it not real. And just because something can be said to be a "social construct" doesn't mean it doesn't have real impact. You can support Republicans or Democrats, neither one physically changes you because it's beliefs in your mind, but it still impacts the world in a real way people have to deal with.

Like, if she's saying you shouldn't shame people for being virgins... sure, whatever. But there are some people who don't want to have sex with virgins because they don't want to be the teacher. There are some people who only want to be with a virgin because they fear STDs. These are real actual things you have to deal with. Denying that is basically saying "no your belief is stupid and wrong" and refusing to explain why.

Microscopic mile

It's not like I have autism or anything
kiwifarms.net
a still of Cyrus from the “Mother’s Daughter” video with the phrase, “Virginity is a social construct.” Cyrus’ second post features her latex-covered hands around a vagina dentata, or a vagina with teeth, reiterating the phrase.
What's next?
Kidneys are a social construct?
Age is a social construct?(although I do think we are getting closer to this everyday)

Hell, why stop there? , let's go the extra mile and just say that electrons and protons are social constructs created by binary sexist homophobic patriarchal misogynist scientists to justify their homophobia (as in 'like charges repel') and bigotry . Now that I think about it, I can see some one arguing the above unironically.

Sometimes I wonder if we're regressing back as a species to the stone age with all this BS.

But just because something isn't necessarily marked by a physical change doesn't make it not real. And just because something can be said to be a "social construct" doesn't mean it doesn't have real impact. You can support Republicans or Democrats, neither one physically changes you because it's beliefs in your mind, but it still impacts the world in a real way people have to deal with.

Like, if she's saying you shouldn't shame people for being virgins... sure, whatever. But there are some people who don't want to have sex with virgins because they don't want to be the teacher. There are some people who only want to be with a virgin because they fear STDs. These are real actual things you have to deal with. Denying that is basically saying "no your belief is stupid and wrong" and refusing to explain why.
She said it was a social construct, not that it literally wasn't a thing. You seem to be agreeing. Being a democrat or republican is also a social construct.

You can get STDs from a virgin, virgins can have broken hymens and non-virgins can have intact ones. The experience angle, sure I guess, but then in that sense it's as real as being a "world of warcraft virgin" or a "counterstrike virgin", you suck at those things when you first start too.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino