Photoreal Roman Emperor project - Why does Elagabalus look like a hapa?

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net

Wasn't sure where to put this, since we don't have a dedicated History Thread to my knowledge:

"Using the neural-net tool Artbreeder, Photoshop and historical references, I have created photoreal portraits of Roman Emperors. For this project, I have transformed, or restored (cracks, noses, ears etc.) 800 images of busts to make the 54 emperors of The Principate (27 BC to 285 AD). " - Daniel Voshart

Archive of Full Article

romanemperor.jpeg

It doesn't seem like too much revisionism is going on in these pics, although I'm sure there were a lot more blondes and redheads than are depicted. Tiberius looks a lot like Stephen Fry, Otho looks like Jonah Hill, Caligula looks like Tobey Maguire, and Elagabalus looks like some half-Asian teenager who can't grow a mustache. Thoughts?

Captain Hastings Official

"Good Lord..."
kiwifarms.net
Elagabalus looks like he overuses if-else blocks
It's well established that, were he alive today, the Queen of the Romans would be wearing programmer socks.

What the hell is up with Florianus? It looks like they just put a skin texture over a bad sculpture. Were they even trying?
Do a search for the bust it's based on. It looks like shit. Not much you can do with a sculpture that's been damaged and looks like it was sculpted badly in the first place.

• Informative
Reactions: millais and Toolbox

Milkis

New feeling of soda beverage
kiwifarms.net

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
Here's a solidus with his likeness. Unless they were using the same artist for each I think Florianus was just a cro-magnon. He was only emperor for three months.
looks like the artist placed the chin on the forehead...

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
They look like a bunch of bros, like in between the veni, vidi, vici business they liked shotgunning beers.

Romans confirmed for the most frat like empire ever?

Toga! Toga! Toga!

Reactions: ZombiefiedFerret

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
Meanwhile,

1595991509255.png

1595991381476.png

1595991404071.png

1595991426211.png

I wonder what Varg will have to say about this...

:thinking:

Also,

1595991935822.png

"Of the Four Stoic Virtues, Marcus Aurelius said justice was the most important. To him, it was “the source of all the other virtues.”
How impressive is courage if it’s only about self-interest? What good is wisdom if not put to use for the whole world?"
Dropping truth bombs for millennia to come. Absolutely based.

Last edited:

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Meanwhile,

View attachment 1480936

View attachment 1480931

View attachment 1480932

View attachment 1480934

I wonder what Varg will have to say about this...

:thinking:
He does know modern day Italians (outside of Sicily, fuck Sicily) are not only pretty white but are remarkably similar to Romans, right? Rome started drawing from the provinces for their Emperors after awhile, from modern day Armenia to the Middle East to North Africa. It makes sense that some of them would look swarthy and have brown hair.

• Agree
Reactions: Pickelhaube

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
He does know modern day Italians (outside of Sicily, fuck Sicily) are not only pretty white but are remarkably similar to Romans, right? Rome started drawing from the provinces for their Emperors after awhile, from modern day Armenia to the Middle East to North Africa. It makes sense that some of them would look swarthy and have brown hair.
Varg is a special kind of norsecuck, in that he says that if you aren't blonde with blue eyes, you must be a mutt and therefore not truly white.

Tags
None