Pixar's Onward - Yet another adaptation of Fullmetal Alchemist

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, this look completely fucking obnoxious.

I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand more times, Disney and everything attached to it is the dearth of creativity. This is visual junk food.

But of course, that's how they make their money, and snce it's got Pixar's name slapped on it, I'm sure they'll be getting an Academy Award for this formulaic shit as well.

Finrod Felagund

Cannot seem to stop rap-battling.
kiwifarms.net
Looks like if Bright or Shadowrun was heavily reduced to cater to a G-rating.
At first glance I thought it looked like something Dreamworks or Illumination would do because Pixar was usually very technical with their films, experimenting then and there in production far more than even Disney. Then again, this is just the teaser. So I'm hoping we'll get some more of this errand/quest shenanigan.

Titan Lithos

Classic Rock
kiwifarms.net
It might be interesting if it were an exploration of drug addiction and its effects on family. The brother's addiction to pixie crack starts to blur the line between reality and fantasy, and it leads to the death of that little brother.

But no, it's probably like "Life is boring, make your own adventure".

friedshrimp

028372n38934739473247219074
kiwifarms.net
Knowing it's Pixar, they're probably gonna insert some "witty" deconstructive commentary about the fantasy genre and such. As if Bright, Game of Thrones, Shrek, Disenchantment and even Enchanted/Frozen haven't already happened.

But seeing how it has the Pixar label, expect critics to fawn all over it and call it "totally original".

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
I originally wanted to insert the default male voice from Baldur's Gate, the one that says "Onward!" But sadly I can't find it.

As for the movie, I think it looks promising. It's the first Pixar movie in like 13 or 14 years that I'm actually interested in. Concept isn't too original admittedly, but it looks charming.

Reactions: Syaoran Li

Archeops

Whispering seeds of doubt into the ears of troons
kiwifarms.net
Eh... With the usual storybook leaks spoiling the ending for Toy Story 4 for me I'm not too optimistic on Pixar right now, but since it's an original film I'll give it a shot. My only worry is that the fantasy setting will remind some people of Brave and cause them to steer clear of this film. Also...
I can see Onward being the perfect candidate for being a new world in the next console-based Kingdom Hearts title. Disney will definitely want it to be in since it'll be a recent title but it'll depend on what Pixar and Nomura think of the idea.

MAPK phosphatase

Cell Death Regulator
kiwifarms.net
After producing a fourth Toy Story, something original is the least Pixar could do at this point. I'll probably go see it, but as others have said, the artstyle doesn't remind me that much of Pixar, it looks more like something Illumination or Dreamworks would have made.
I agree that it looks different from Pixar's usual films, but this still looks to be leagues above anything that's come out of Illumination.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I think this movie is going to go full post apocalypse.

You see everything is nice an suburban, but then shit hits the fan and everything reverts back to Untamed fantasy world but now some people have advanced technology while others have awakened powerful arcane magic that was sealed away.

I mean it certainly has that feeling. Like it's not Shrek where everything is already a tongue and cheek fantasy world. Doing Fantasy Creatures BUT NOW THEY'RE JUST LIKE US! is incredibly gay and a waste considering the genre. The Van brother's insistence on a quest while the other brother trying to say that "it's not a quest" certainly also lends to the theme of old fantasy vs contemporary.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
I think this movie is going to go full post apocalypse.

You see everything is nice an suburban, but then shit hits the fan and everything reverts back to Untamed fantasy world but now some people have advanced technology while others have awakened powerful arcane magic that was sealed away.

I mean it certainly has that feeling. Like it's not Shrek where everything is already a tongue and cheek fantasy world. Doing Fantasy Creatures BUT NOW THEY'RE JUST LIKE US! is incredibly gay and a waste considering the genre. The Van brother's insistence on a quest while the other brother trying to say that "it's not a quest" certainly also lends to the theme of old fantasy vs contemporary.
That might be interesting. Or setup as a safe urban fantasy setting, but ohshit the Elder Gods have awoken. I wish I wasn't feeling so burned by Disney/Pixar recently.

Tags
None