Pixar's Onward - Yet another adaptation of Fullmetal Alchemist

• Images may fail sporadically. I have taken measures to keep the site working under high load at the expense of static content. The new server is ETA 7~10 days.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
I dunno, the film looked generic and I'm tired of so much media nowadays wanting to tackle 'subversive fantasy'. It just sounds pretentious, like let it go, are you really that butthurt over Lord of the Rings' popularity?
I didn't see the film but I'm pretty interested what they tried to subvert, is it the usual where they shift the evil and good races?

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I didn't see the film but I'm pretty interested what they tried to subvert, is it the usual where they shift the evil and good races?
They get kind of hung up on how to tackle the world building. Like they're afraid to be funny or clever. That's what I kind of got from it. It gets directionless at times because it's not a huge ensemble cast but the story feels like there should have been.

Compare it to the original Shrek and how he wasn't afraid to be Loud or Offensive, both brothers felt like they were majorly toned down. The Fucking Main Character is Diet Coke Guybrush Threepwood because they never play up his antics or let the situation get weird or out of his control. Like Monkey island would get bizarre at times and it fit, the film stays in the safe zone because it feels like it's afraid to be actually funny or it doesn't want to do tonal changes right(like one minute it's funny and the next minute something serious or weird happens which usually keeps the audience engaged in the story).

Also hardly any sarcasm and they put too much emphasis on the mom who wasn't that good of a supporting character. Like if you're doing satire you need sarcasm or some form of rudeness, and it's not there.

Uranus Pink

kiwifarms.net
Major problem for "Onward" is that type of fantasy setting been done to death in western (NA, EA, Europe) novels, anime, manga, games (table and computer) back in the 90ies. The 00İes and 10ies everybody but Hollywood have been getting more and more creative in that sandbox to revive it back to new.

emo goff

local bridge cybergoth
kiwifarms.net
I liked it. It was pretty cute, although the whole dad bit got annoying after a while.
The DnD references throughout were mildly funny.
You just have to have your blinders on the whole time to not scream in frustration at all the plot holes.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Cyril Sneer

1911JD

I am so tired of this shit, I swear.
kiwifarms.net
It might not kill you, but it doesn't belong there, it's extremely off-putting and it's only natural that people would be pissed about it.
In that case, nope. Your analogy isn't accurate. The insertion of it is so small and insignificant that anyone who gets angry about it (or praises it and calls it "history-making") deserves to be laughed at.

I don't see how it's off-putting. The line was "It's not easy being a new parent. My girlfriend's daughter got me pulling my hair out, okay?".

The line wasn't "It's not easy being a new parent. My girlfriend's daughter cries every night as she and I try to scissor each other and swap spit during our nightly S&M roleplays, okay?".

It feels like they just tried to pass off the idea of a homosexual individual existing in this universe that somewhat mirrors our own in certain respects as normal and something that just exists, just as it should be in our own.

Reactions: Chester Rigby

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
In that case, nope. Your analogy isn't accurate. The insertion of it is so small and insignificant that anyone who gets angry about it (or praises it and calls it "history-making") deserves to be laughed at.

I don't see how it's off-putting. The line was "It's not easy being a new parent. My girlfriend's daughter got me pulling my hair out, okay?".

The line wasn't "It's not easy being a new parent. My girlfriend's daughter cries every night as she and I try to scissor each other and swap spit during our nightly S&M roleplays, okay?".

It feels like they just tried to pass off the idea of a homosexual individual existing in this universe that somewhat mirrors our own in certain respects as normal and something that just exists, just as it should be in our own.
The problem is, there is so much new media pushing gay couples into stories as a way to virtue signal, that you can't see the inclusion of gay characters as anything but a political statement. (The same is true for inter-racial couples, although to a lesser extent.) No matter how natural the inclusion, or how well it suits the story, you just can't help but imagine the white liberal writer's smug face as they set pen to paper, thinking to themselves "Now HERE'S a blow for Progressivism! I am SUCH a good ally!" It feels preachy, and no one likes to be preached at. Back in the 90's, you'd watch an anime, see a gay character, have a story that played with gender roles, or see a strong, powerful female character, and it would seem natural, because you knew there wasn't an agenda behind it. (Because Japanese writers really don't have any reason to hate American Conservatives or Christianity. They're not trying to write stories that "stick it" to anyone or push a political agenda.) Maybe this is because most manga starts off as a personal thing - as a single writer/artist (or a small group) trying to make the story inside their head become a reality. Whereas in the West, comic books and TV series seem more like committee-driven entertainment made for consumption and merchandising...

1911JD

I am so tired of this shit, I swear.
kiwifarms.net
The problem is, there is so much new media pushing gay couples into stories as a way to virtue signal, that you can't see the inclusion of gay characters as anything but a political statement. (The same is true for inter-racial couples, although to a lesser extent.) No matter how natural the inclusion, or how well it suits the story, you just can't help but imagine the white liberal writer's smug face as they set pen to paper, thinking to themselves "Now HERE'S a blow for Progressivism! I am SUCH a good ally!" It feels preachy, and no one likes to be preached at. Back in the 90's, you'd watch an anime, see a gay character, have a story that played with gender roles, or see a strong, powerful female character, and it would seem natural, because you knew there wasn't an agenda behind it. (Because Japanese writers really don't have any reason to hate American Conservatives or Christianity. They're not trying to write stories that "stick it" to anyone or push a political agenda.) Maybe this is because most manga starts off as a personal thing - as a single writer/artist (or a small group) trying to make the story inside their head become a reality. Whereas in the West, comic books and TV series seem more like committee-driven entertainment made for consumption and merchandising...
I think that's still overblowing it, trying to make it seem like more than it is. You might be able to say that about people who, again, think the character and the line are "history-making", but certainly not with the movie itself.

The same can be said for some other pieces of media that do similar things, like the Arrowverse that includes certain gay characters who don't quite have much of a special reason for being gay, they're just gay because the gender of their spouse makes zero difference to the plot, like the police commissioner from Flash season 1, Alex Danvers from Supergirl, or the black nerd dude from Arrow season 4. It's just there because it's meant to be portrayed as normal.

It's really nothing to rustle your jimmies over. It's not inherently political tbh. Not unless it outright deviates from the plot and the characters in question give TED talks about systemic oppression or whatever.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The problem is, there is so much new media pushing gay couples into stories as a way to virtue signal, that you can't see the inclusion of gay characters as anything but a political statement. (The same is true for inter-racial couples, although to a lesser extent.)
Modern Family I think was satirizing this, least at first. It was still a funny show despite it.

If filmmakers would just shut the fuck up about having a minor gay character in their film, and for people to stop writing articles about every single rumor that rears their ugly head, everyone except the fundies will stop noticing it, and then China and Russia can just quietly do their own thing and no one would care. I mean ffs, Storks had a "show, don't tell" at the end with the baby montage, and I literally can't recall hearing or seeing anything from the virtue signalers praising this one scene to high heaven just because there were a few (faceless) gay couples briefly shown cooing over their baby.

Interracial relationships aren't taboo anymore (least in the US), so that's why people don't care to see blacky and whitey shacking up together. I just wish entertainment could be left alone to naturally make their mark on pop culture without needing to be put on an altar for bullshit reasons.

DrearyDoomguy

Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.
kiwifarms.net
It does feel kind of contrived. The phrase “my girlfriend’s daughter” just sounds weird coming out of anyone who isn’t Matt Jarbo. Then again, maybe it’s time he got some representation.

BillionBisonBucks

Soon will be worth five billion pounds
kiwifarms.net
Saw this in a double feature at the drive-in with call of the wild. I went for call of the wild, even though I knew there was no way it could hold up to a nine-year-old chain reading the book ten times, and I was right. Onward was pretty great, though. I especially liked that the climax of the movie was literally Defeating Highschool, but filtered through the lens of the setting extremely well. This is the first time in decades I've seen a movie about teenagers that actually did something interesting with babby's first conflict of 'I hate school!', even if it was just an allegory and some good visuals.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
One good example of that is the scene in Shazam where they leave the strip club and the fat kid says "eh, not really my thing" implying he's gay and it feels so awkwardly shoehorned in, it was a good movie otherwise but good grief was that awkward.

It isn't an entirely new phenomena either, one thing it reminds me of is in 1980s movies like Summer Rental and Short Circuit there's scenes of characters angrily switching or turning off radio stations with Preachers on them, as well as tons of "crooked televangelist" characters in movies and TV back then.

Anytime something is in a movie or TV show solely to “stick it” to someone it feels awkward.

• Agree
Reactions: Grass Mud Horse
Tags
None