Planetside General (1, 2, Arena) -

spaps

I'LL FUCK YOU OFF AT NO COST
kiwifarms.net
I played it twice. I got my ass handed to me by a bunch of level fuck-tillions wearing incredibly bulky armor.

Null

Ooperator
Patriarch
kiwifarms.net
They were definitely level fuck-tillions, though. And most of them were wearing MAX suits.

Whatever that is.
It's called a MAX Crash. Everyone gets into a MAX Suit for high damage and high health for one big push to capture the point.

There's a massive set of balance suites in the game. You don't play on even footing, and it's not entirely because of what someone has unlocked. No weapons are really vastly superior to others, they all kill very quickly.

Reactions: Draza
R

RP 520

kiwifarms.net
So for those uninformed Planetside 2 is a sci-fi FPS mmo. What makes it unique is instead of fighting over maps you fight on persistent continents. It's also free to play.
https://www.planetside2.com/home

I went and redownloaded Planetside 2 the other day and am surprised that the guy is relatively fun now that it's under new management. Those who are interested should join up and if get enough people maybe we can start a kiwi outfit or something (clan basically).

I'm CSigma in the game playing under New Conglomerate.

A bit of backstory:

Planetside was created by SOE in 2003 and was popular back in the day. Sadly, like every mmo SOE ran it declined in players and quality the more the messed around with balance and features. When Planetside 2 was initially announced there was a lot of hype, however when it was released in 2012 the sequel was revealed to still be in a beta state. The game suffered from lack of players and bugs until SOE eventually was sold off to a Canadian company which renamed it "Daybreak Games". Since then bugs have been getting fixed and new features are planned, including buildable bases.

Womacker

I have evolved like some autistic moth man.
kiwifarms.net
Die Vanu faggots. You always ruin the alerts and give the points to the TR. How could you?

• Feels
Reactions: 1 person

UnwiseKhan

ayylmao akbar
kiwifarms.net
TR Master Race. Alien fuckers and New Cuckglomerate pls go.

More seriously, I used to play it a few years ago. Are 90% of the players still just wandering into the meatgrinder near The Crown on whatever the desert continent was, or have they figured out a way to get people to spread out a bit more?

R

RP 520

kiwifarms.net
TR Master Race. Alien fuckers and New Cuckglomerate pls go.

More seriously, I used to play it a few years ago. Are 90% of the players still just wandering into the meatgrinder near The Crown on whatever the desert continent was, or have they figured out a way to get people to spread out a bit more?
They changed the Indar map a bit to get rid of the dreaded "T area" (as the devs called it) to prevent the hours/days long battles at The Crown. That happened in a recent update.

Here's a tweet from back at the start of the year while they were working on it.
https://twitter.com/xanderclauss/status/698231569903980546

Also since the last time I played they went back to a lattice-like system like was in Planetside 1, on the down side, no more freedom to attack any base you choose anywhere at any time. On the plus side it keeps people from capping entire continents by themselves while everyone else is focused on a major battle.

They also released Hossin, the dark, gloomy swamp continent that no one likes.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElAbominacion

Somewhere in the Swamps south of the Mexico border
kiwifarms.net
I want to necro this thread to ask if someone still plays PlanetSide 2 on the year of the lord 2019.

Auk Autist

Birbs create the big Happy
kiwifarms.net
Planetside Arena just got announced somewhat out of the blue and is due to be released in early access on September 19th, 2019. Its another game thats chasing the magic Battle Royale dragon, and its claim to fame is that its main game mode three hundred players squaring off in teams of either 3 or squads of 12. Theres also a dev roadmap with features and gamemodes theyre going to add over the next year like vehicles, aircraft, and a "massive clash" mode that they just released. Things aren't all sunshine among Planetside 2's small dedicated playerbase though.

People are pissed about Planetside Arena. On the cinematic trailer they just released, a strong portion of the comments are Planetside 2 vets complaining about the lack of actual gameplay and the Ubisoft-like voice acting they got. The reddit is rife with discussion about how the team should've used the resources to advertise and fix glaring problems with PS2, to get more people into the game as it fulfills a unique niche in the gaming landscape. The fact that it will cost 20 dollars and will feature lootcrates turns off even more potential consumers, and the relatively niche fanbase of Planetside (steam stats says it had an average of 1435 players and a peak of 2400 in August) as well as the fact it isn't free to play makes me doubt whether it'll even have enough players to deliver on its claim to fame unless they either have a miracle occur, or pay every scrap of revenue to streamers in order to shill it to their audiences.

I like Planetside and I'm very uneasy about how this game is gonna release, and if it fails it could sink the whole studio. For those who have played Planetside in the past, what is your opinion? Is there a chance in hell Arena will take off?

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Horrifying
Reactions: Slap47 and Draza

dreamworks face

Model bugman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A Planetside battle royale game that costs twenty dollars is going to be dead on arrival - Apex Legends and Fortnite are free. Even black ops was only popular for a couple of months after release. It's not smart to follow the Quake Champions "charge for money at release and then make everything free later" business model. Every fps has been sucking BR cock recently, even though Battle Royale is an ancient Egyptian word that means "parachute onto a shitty gun, run ten minutes through a field without seeing a single person, and get shot in the back by a sniper rifle" - it's such a cancer.

DanteAlighieri

I hate commies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's way too late do make a BR. The genre is oversaturated and completely owned by Fortnite.

If it costs money it's dead on arrival, instead of being popular on Twitch for a month before dying.

• Agree

FeverGlitch

Birbtastically Ascended
kiwifarms.net
Was it not like nearly a year when they announced that game? And then they want to release it next year? Okay then...good luck.

Anyways, it was a long time I played PS2 and I can give my agreement with the people who complain about Planetside Arena.
It is just unnecessary to put something out that already has succeeded in different games, especially with Fortnite and Apex. Riding that Battle Royale thing home is the nowadays equivalent of trying to win the Mega Jackpot lottery on the first attempt. For myself, I don't know why games in this day and age immediately jumping on the money-ship to only reject personal creativity and their own unique ideas for only a chance to gain instant success and high-value financial gains in short-terms. Many people are put off with the genre, even Apex Legends is losing player numbers. It's plain and simple suicide following the BR materia now.

Daybreak should really go with just making Planetside 2 itself a better game experience and improve it with its own strong suit on its massive country-sized war battles and definitely should add in something new, for the chance to fresh it up and re-release it to reclaim a bigger audience.

Last edited:

Draza

The attack that never happened
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm a huge fan of Planetside, but I can honestly see this game as DOA. There no reason to push for BR style game since there is other BR games that are free and more popular, and as mentioned before it's very unnecessary. They should have at least made Planetside 3 or put more content in Planetside 2.

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Who the fuck wants this game? Planetside 2 was fun because of the teamwork and the feeling of being part of a larger war effort.

A Planetside 3 would have likely exploded in popularity. The kids are used to online play, love huge ass maps and the game would have been streamer-friendly due to the teamwork element.

Auk Autist

Birbs create the big Happy
kiwifarms.net
Who the fuck wants this game? Planetside 2 was fun because of the teamwork and the feeling of being part of a larger war effort.

A Planetside 3 would have likely exploded in popularity. The kids are used to online play, love huge ass maps and the game would have been streamer-friendly due to the teamwork element.
Nobody wants the game, the whole PS2 community have been up in arms about the battle royale since it was announced back in December. Did I mention the games been pushed back twice? First time was late January because the game wasn't done, and the second time was in March because Apex Legends came out. They really should have just gone and made PS3, but I guess thats the way the company crumbles.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Slap47

cumrobbery

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The only good that could remotely come of this is if it somehow becomes super popular and makes a shitton of money which goes towards development of PS3 but that is incredibly unlikely

• Agree
Reactions: Draza and Slap47
Tags
None