Pokemon Concept Artist Keiko Moritsugu Wants Anime to End Fan Service, Says Industry Needs to be More Like Disney and Marvel - Japanese woman declares that anime industry needs to go woke, gets told to take that crap back to America.

BlancoMailo

kiwifarms.net
You're saying an industry whose productions nowadays are mostly shitty isekai/harem bullshit and watered down knockoffs of better shows isn't bland? For the same reasons too--the suits want safe crap they know sells, and no one takes risks anymore.
I've got no opinion on it since I don't watch chinamen cartoons. I'm just sick of everything being homogenized into the same flavor of bland US West Coast corporate crap. I'll at least give the Japanese credit that they currently seem to have their own unique flavor of bland corporate crap.

Bad Headspace

kiwifarms.net
If you don't explicitly kick out the SJWs they will nuke your medium. And no, you won't rebuild from a destroyed culture.

That's exactly what they're doing because China hates fanservice. Unfortunately, China hates social issues be it minorities (don't want the Uyghurs/Tibetans getting any ideas) or homos (portraying homosexuality is obscenity in China).
WTF I like China now.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
She also stated that she wished the industry would evolve like Disney and Marvel by “interweaving” social issues within their products.
You had my interest piqued up until this point. I thought this was going to have independent reasoning behind it and not the garden variety woke agenda.

Besides, Japan already has it's own Disney and Marvel brands, they're called Toei and Shonen Jump.

because they take actual societal issues and incorporate them into the middle of the script while interweaving them into difficult criticisms of the world.
Name one time Disney has ever done politics. Also, Marvel Studios did not insert their own political messages into the movies, those were an accident of stories taken from the comic books.

Last edited:

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
kiwifarms.net
FYI, Yabei Kankei is not Japanese (at least, I'm not sure he is ethnically) or a woman and I'm having doubts he has anything to do with the industry so I'm not sure what's up with that.
Having said that though, what has Satoshi Kon (RIP) been doing all those years alive? His work has satirized modern Japanese life. I suppose social justice issues are a little different in Japan but has anyone actually said "kill the feminists" over something? Curious to know more.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
Canto Bight in The Last Jedi is literally members of the oligopoly going "fuck the rich am I right?".
Oh right, I forgot that Disney is slowly being taken over by retards and was thinking about the classic era and the Disney Renaissance.
Moritsugu Keiko would go on to be critical of other issues related to anime. She specifically took issue with the exaggeration of breast jiggling in animation as well what she views as the refusal of the industry to take a deeper looked at gendered relationships.
Tokyo Godfathers anyone? Ghost in the Shell?
Fellow industry professional, Yabai Kankei, was having none of it. She was very blunt in her view of Anime and told Moritsugu that Anime wasn’t a place for people to be reminded of social issues. And that she should take her SJW agenda back to the United States:
And how much of your industry has been inspired by and made money from the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bombings exactly? Barefoot Gen & Grave of the Fireflies anyone?

At this point I'd hedge my bets on these tweets being full on fabrications because both positions are immensely callow, especially so when coming from industry professionals. This is an example of why I always hated the Skeptic community, it was a herd of callow people pretending to be superior to other callow people, and there really is no better word for it either. It's not just that they're acting juvenile, but the blind self-assured belief that they're mature people paired with the attitude that it's one way or no way. It's also highly suspect that two Japanese people are expressing very Western opinions on this subject matter too.

Last edited:

Clop

kiwifarms.net
There's plenty of stuff that doesn't cater to the "moe" garbage audience, just like how Western feminism whines about female representation in video games you need to actually look for it instead of bitching and moaning about the most popular stuff of the day. Just another day in the life of the oppressed waman.

Here's her Bulbapedia article. If this is accurate, then she's barely even a contributor to Pokemon art, little more than a footnote.
I dug around for that specific Heatran card, it is from a Pokemon TCG set that was released back in July 2009 almost 10 years ago. Has this woman done basically nothing else that is popular in the last decade, that we had to use "Pokemon Concept Artist" in the loosest way possible to get people to care?
Apparently since 2013 her job is just "artist ^w^"

I get the feeling this lady didn't fit in with the work culture and kept bouncing from job to job until they went freelance so they could sperg freely about their emotions. Assuming this FB-page isn't just abandoned or something. But if she's a true feminist she'll be DFE soon enough when people don't buy into this "we gotta do it MY way"-bullshit.

SiccDicc

Ratatatatatatatatatat!
kiwifarms.net
You're saying an industry whose productions nowadays are mostly shitty isekai/harem bullshit and watered down knockoffs of better shows isn't bland? For the same reasons too--the suits want safe crap they know sells, and no one takes risks anymore.
I'm not so sure. Every industry follows a trend, remember all the extreme radical 90's shit? There will always be a trend and right now isekai and harem is that trend, although harem tends to pop up more often. Wonder why...? And another reason for trends isn't entirely about what's safe, but also because people tend to be unimaginative and follow the leader. SAO brought back VR Isekai Harem into the spotlight, suddenly Isekai Harem everywhere. Despite the work itself being a poor imitation of .//hack. The author himself also self inserts a lot, so I'm not surprised to hear he's willing to throw away his principles in order to be liked.

That said I feel like under this bitch's idea of change we wouldn't get KonoSuba even though it's mocking the genre. Just because it still has fun with it. We'd get a woke trend of being talked at and Marvel comics grade subtlety.

Coelacanth

Your local shitposting living fossil.
kiwifarms.net
Once again I'm not surprised someone associated with something like pokemon wants this to happen. Pokemon is probably one of the only franchises/game companies sjws invest any time into and they've actually done shit like this in LGPE (specifically the guy peeking in on the girls in Celadon Gym going from "o shit there are hot girls here!" to: "wow, look at how strong and independent these ladies are!"). Nintendo's essentially Disney at this point. It'll most likely just spiral downwards from here.

Testaclese Maximus

as friendly as a rabbit
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I quite like it when anime deals with political or social issues
It’s totally cool, as long as the writer/director knows how to be subtle. The best stories, no matter the medium through which they’re told, usually do have something interesting or important to say about society or the human condition. But those stories don’t beat us over the head with it, which is what modern American media is starting to do.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I quite like it when anime deals with political or social issues - stuff like Jin-Roh or Planetes. If anything, I really dislike this dichotomous attitude that either "Anime must never have fanservice" or "Anime must never have politics." Both are tools that can be used to create a more enjoyable experience, but at the same time they can be used as crutches for bad writing. Shoehorning in social issues doesn't automatically make something good - such as Darling in the FranXX deciding to promote this weird environmentalist message out of nowhere right at the end, or GATE literally just being Japanese propaganda. Much like fanservice randomly being thrown in, social issues just being haphazardly injected into anime can be very annoying to watch.

I dunno, fanservice can be good, politics can be good. Just make more good anime.
In my opinion if it's done right, if there's a good balance or a good reason, it can be done right. Princess Mononoke and Ayashi No Ceres to me are good examples. Too much could make it cringe and unnecessary.

Reactions: Uncanny Valley

Ambidextype

I hope nothing bad happens to her.
kiwifarms.net
I mean yes, Isekai shit is bland and tired tripe but rest of the anime don't seem too bad as long as they adapt the manga. Anime gets more variety unlike superhero capeshit. There are at least 5 different anime that were airing this year that can be recommended to normies.

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino