Pokemon Concept Artist Keiko Moritsugu Wants Anime to End Fan Service, Says Industry Needs to be More Like Disney and Marvel - Japanese woman declares that anime industry needs to go woke, gets told to take that crap back to America.

Foxxo

Mistakes were made.
kiwifarms.net
Gosh, I'm trying to remember if she was ever a major artist in the trading cards...

If this were Ken Sugimori, though, I'd totally agree.

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
they've actually done shit like this in LGPE (specifically the guy peeking in on the girls in Celadon Gym going from "o shit there are hot girls here!" to: "wow, look at how strong and independent these ladies are!")
I knew they changed his dialogue in FRLG and HGSS, but I wasn't paying attention to what he said in LGPE, I think he still said "strong trainers", but I dunno. I think it'd be kinda funny if he was shocked that the women in that gym were really strong, suggesting that an all-female gym is unheard of in that world, which brings up a lot of questions regardless.

I know when XY was coming out, people bitched about the removal of cleavage in the anime, though I don't remember if that was dub-only, or if that was also in the original Japanese. And that was back in 2013.

The Estatist

kiwifarms.net
If they do get woke, does that mean they will apologize to China and Korea for comfort women and WW2 genocide?
They already gave apologies and gave effective if not reparations. You'd be hardpressed to name a country that did more to make-up for past behavior. We're at the point where royalty is refusing to visit shrines dedicated to WW2 warriors since they're connected to the Showa period.

Last edited:

neural

It is what it is 'cept it ain't what it used to be
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On the article itself, animators in Japan are already near poverty to begin with, due to crappy business practices, now we want to add woke culture into the mix with its seemingly natural gravitational pull towards bankruptcy? I'm sure that'll go well.
What does one have to do with the other?

Zeke Von Genbu

BRINGER OF CHAOS
kiwifarms.net
What does one have to do with the other?
Because one has to do with animators in Japan getting criminally underpaid for what they do and the other is related to the "go woke, go broke" observation/meme where overly woke companies seem to run into financial issues especially if they didn't start out that way. So you're already getting underpaid for what you do and now your studio might tank itself trying to produce woke shit that no one wants to buy or watch compared to what they used to produce. What do you think will happen?

• Optimistic
Reactions: neural

neural

It is what it is 'cept it ain't what it used to be
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Because one has to do with animators in Japan getting criminally underpaid for what they do and the other is related to the "go woke, go broke" observation/meme where overly woke companies seem to run into financial issues especially if they didn't start out that way. So you're already getting underpaid for what you do and now your studio might tank itself trying to produce woke shit that no one wants to buy or watch compared to what they used to produce. What do you think will happen?
If you're underpaid, then wouldn't the company tanking be a good thing in the long-run? That means you can potentially get a better job. Plus, why would anyone want a business that stiffs its employees to stay alive either way? Woke or not?

Additionally, a metric ton of things went woke and didn't go broke, that "observation" is just something people assume is real to console themselves for whatever reason, just like weirdos on the other side assume that their tweets are bringing down Trump or whatever. Both aren't amounting to anything real.

Finally, with Netflix increasingly becoming a major buyer of exclusive anime (both adaptations and original works), that wish of hers might well become truth, the more you try to target the mass-market, the more you have to sand down shit to make it appealing to said mass-market.

Zeke Von Genbu

BRINGER OF CHAOS
kiwifarms.net
If you're underpaid, then wouldn't the company tanking be a good thing in the long-run? That means you can potentially get a better job. Plus, why would anyone want a business that stiffs its employees to stay alive either way? Woke or not?

Finally, with Netflix increasingly becoming a major buyer of exclusive anime (both adaptations and original works), that wish of hers might well become truth, the more you try to target the mass-market, the more you have to sand down shit to make it appealing to said mass-market.
I concede to your go woke, go broke argument as I have nothing to add to that. Just pointing that out so it doesn't look like I'm ignoring it.

The thing is the entire industry, in Japan specifically, is this way for whatever reason. You're basically putting people who are barely getting by without jobs whos entire experience is making anime for however many years. The issue is unless you can become something that isn't an animator due to your experience level or some other factor, you likely will just end up in the same place by the end of this gap in employment when you barely got by to begin with. It'd be like if someone who lived solely off minimum wage lost their job all at once and had to spend time to get another of the same paying job because their skill set doesn't let them go any further.

As for why it stays alive? Because people likely don't care enough to do anything about it in the east because they just want anime and the arists from what I've seen are too into their work to stop, and in the west it could be the same thing with the additional optimism of people wanting to believe that it can change if anime gets more popular, you don't pirate, and you support Crunchyrolltm. Though High Guardian Spice didn't help many people on that front, though that is debatable unless we know how far Crunchyroll's involvement with actual Japanese animators goes, but that project might just flop in general so to be continued on that.

As far as Netflix's involvement goes, that is part of a much broader thing within the anime community as most anime fans, that I've seen, pirate what isn't on Crunchyroll if they don't just pirate everything to begin with. A lot of people hate the current streaming platforms due to exclusive licensing, questionable quality of the video player or the subtitles, and the fact that if you just pirate you practically get the best service anyway depending on who you ask so why pay for anything anyway? Also pirating in anime circles is considered a consumer revolt similar to how people pirate EA/Ubisoft/DRM fucked games, so if the anime community hates this hypothetical new direction they might just pirate everything more then they already do.

Amazon pulled out of anime despite being fairly dedicated at the start and it had some of the same problems from what I remember, though the stupid pricing scheme didn't help it, so will Netflix pull out eventually? Who knows. Will the mass-market actually watch anime if it becomes more woke? Most non-anime fans in my experience have varying amounts of stigma to anime from the get go due to the culture this woman is talking about, some find the style weird in general especially in terms of the super over the top expressions, or it is considered too childish because animation = children, except it doesn't have the Disney/Pixar branding to carry it. Except anime movies, for some reason solid anime movies do really well in the west like Your Name did, though I don't know how many non anime fans actually watched Your Name.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

KidKitty

Official Junior Shitposter
kiwifarms.net
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I quite like it when anime deals with political or social issues - stuff like Jin-Roh or Planetes. If anything, I really dislike this dichotomous attitude that either "Anime must never have fanservice" or "Anime must never have politics." Both are tools that can be used to create a more enjoyable experience, but at the same time they can be used as crutches for bad writing. Shoehorning in social issues doesn't automatically make something good - such as Darling in the FranXX deciding to promote this weird environmentalist message out of nowhere right at the end, or GATE literally just being Japanese propaganda. Much like fanservice randomly being thrown in, social issues just being haphazardly injected into anime can be very annoying to watch.

I dunno, fanservice can be good, politics can be good. Just make more good anime.
But therein lies the fundamental difference. You can weave political intrigue, social commentary, human rights, and racial issues into the story of your series, but it needs to be able to stand on its own as a story, first and foremost. What these people forget - either willfully or mistakenly - is that there is a point where a person becomes annoyed with feeling like they're being talked down to or having some message shoved in their face that forgoes any pretense of subtly. There's almost no way to kill enthusiasm for a piece of media quicker.

Propaganda fails when the people watching it knows what it is, so even if this is all a malicious ploy to turn every medium into a social engineering machine, they simply must realize how exceptional they're being about it.

BoomerDenton

kiwifarms.net

Additionally, a metric ton of things went woke and didn't go broke, that "observation" is just something people assume is real to console themselves for whatever reason, just like weirdos on the other side assume that their tweets are bringing down Trump or whatever. Both aren't amounting to anything real.

List the things that went woke and didn't go broke. Go on, you can do it. You can't be contrarian without backing up your argument, can you?

Midlife Sperglord

Sperging over console gaming.
kiwifarms.net
It was the anti-wokeness of '90s anime that made me a teenage otaku to begin with! I just wanted some grindhouse level sex and violence, and the '90s OVAs delivered that.

There already is plenty of anime out there devoid of fan service! Why do these people have to ruin the fun of people who want to enjoy some gratuitous nudity here and there? This SJW hatred of human sexuality is entering the territory of misanthropia.

Popoto

Carbly Hydrated
kiwifarms.net
FYI, Yabei Kankei is not Japanese (at least, I'm not sure he is ethnically) or a woman and I'm having doubts he has anything to do with the industry so I'm not sure what's up with that.
Having said that though, what has Satoshi Kon (RIP) been doing all those years alive? His work has satirized modern Japanese life. I suppose social justice issues are a little different in Japan but has anyone actually said "kill the feminists" over something? Curious to know more.
Yes. Feminism was literally called the "wear panties movement".

They already gave apologies and gave effective if not reparations. You'd be hardpressed to name a country that did more to make-up for past behavior. We're at the point where royalty is refusing to visit shrines dedicated to WW2 warriors since they're connected to the Showa period.
This is what the average Japanese literally believes despite Wikipedia existing (and they constantly edit bomb Wikipedia too). They also believe that Pearl Harbor never happened and they are owed eternal reparations from the US for Hiroshima & Nagasaki, which makes it extra amusing because it is what Japan constantly repeats when deflecting the issue: "what, you want more reparations?"

Also, the Japanese royal family does not visit Yasukuni because Yasukuni (and the other war shrines) deify the royal family, and deifying the royal family is banned as part of the surrender conditions.

It has nothing to do with the Chinese, Koreans, Singaporeans, Malay, Vietnamese, Pinoy, Australian, Indonesian and (insert so many other countries Japan fucked up in its WW2 campaign).

Plus, the stupid shrine contains plaques of conscripts, some of whom are still alive and protest being "venerated" in there.

• Informative
Reactions: John Titor

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Japan, I predict, is going to enter a brief 'woke' period for the World Olympics. It will be polite for Westerners. It might stick around and cause Japanese SJWs to get bolder, but consider this.

Vice. 400 million investment. Gone. Another 250 million invested by Soros, soon to be gone.
Waypoint. Gone.
Variety Games Section. Gone after E3.
Salon. Valued at 500 million. Might not even be worth 500,00k. Gone.
Gizmodo/Io 9/Kotaku. Telemundo is struggling to sell them. Telemundo cannot even get a third of the value it paid for Kotaku. Soon to be Gone.
Marvel Comics. Only around due to Disney Money.
Star Wars. Constant Declining Revenue with each additional movie. Merchandise sales at an all time low.
'Woke' Games. Constantly declining revenue.
Buzzfeed. Fired staff.
Huffington Post. Condensed Sections.

So, if there is an 'SJW revolt' in anime, with one of the most picky audiences ever, with razor thin margins, that industry disappears. Very quickly I might add.

Or a competitor takes hold and offers what audiences want and decimates 'woke' companies.

Medicated

Not the fun kind
kiwifarms.net

I didn't bother putting any of screencaps of the Japanese tweets from the article because most people aren't going to read them anyway when translations already exist in the article.

On the article itself, animators in Japan are already near poverty to begin with, due to crappy business practices, now we want to add woke culture into the mix with its seemingly natural gravitational pull towards bankruptcy? I'm sure that'll go well.
It's already starting to happen.

70df100f40ec90971398b83033b567499b9f1113bbccb4950cd76268dc0ce32c.png

7ba.png

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino