Pokemon Duel - It's like Pokemon Go except not at all and also actually a game.

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Strelok

Perfectly Cromulent Poster
kiwifarms.net
So in my unending quest to find mobile games that are
1. Decent
2. Actually Multiplayer, so not the shit kind of multiplayer where you go and attack some assholes base he build 30 hours ago
and
3. Not so bloated that they take up 1/2 your phones storage (looking at your Hearthstone) because they refuse to download to the SD card

I came across Pokemon Duel, which is a newish game made by Nintendo that they sort of just released without any buildup or fanfare. What it is is not really a Pokemon game, but a Pokemon Themed board game for mobile. Both sides build a "deck" of 6 pokemon and varying number of cards, and take turns moving these figurines around a board, trying to win by either getting a figurine to the opponent's goal spot, or eliminating all their pokemon.

ap_resize.php

Pokemon are brought from offboard in through the corner spaces on your side, and your opponent can only have 2 pokemon out of action at the most, any past that go back to the bench to be brought back during their turn. But you can only move with one figure per turn, so it becomes about positioning and risk-taking.

The wheels are how battles are done. When two pokemon are adjacent, they can attack each other. It spins both the attacker and defender's wheel, and whoever has the highest number wins and sends the 0pponent off board. Except Purple wedges (which are often status inflictors or shot blockers) beat the normal ones, and gold wedges beat purple but have to defeat the normal ones on their regular attack score. As you level up your figures, which is caused by feeding them figures you don't want, the size of the attacks you want to happen gets bigger while the critical failure Miss wedges get smaller.

The different attack wheels set the meta strategy, as some pokemon are better attackers, others are good for holding a lane down and shrugging off attacks by the hardest hitting pokemon, others instead play with the board positioning, and so on. Unlike actual pokemon, types don't factor into anything, which is why I say this game is Pokemon-themed, not actually a pokemon game.

Matches take about 3-4 minutes, and 10 at the worst case scenario as each player has a 5 min chess clock. It's been a pretty fun timewaster for when you only have a few minutes and can't really do something more intensive with your phone because you have shit to do afterwards.

Supposedly it's based on an actual japanese pokemon boardgame , but I'm not a weeb so I don't know if that rumor is true or not, and I don't actually care either.

So, anyone else tinker around with this?

Last edited:

Army Burger

RIP John Lewis
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So is this their spiritual successor to their Pokemon Figure Game they had a while back?

Conrix

"KIWIFAGS REEEEEEE"
kiwifarms.net
I've been playing that shit on my tablet in bed and already have like 20 figures and two decks.

Strelok

Perfectly Cromulent Poster
kiwifarms.net
I've been playing that shit on my tablet in bed and already have like 20 figures and two decks.

Make sure to feed your shit figurines (UCs and Cs) to your keepers in the fusion tab to increase their attack and shit. Ingots are useful for that too. The gold ingots are vendor trash that you sell on the 'exchange for coins" page of the shop. They seem to drop regularly enough that you will never, ever, need to worry about coins ever.

I've already got a party of 2 EXs and the rest Rares for my main deck. Snagged a Blastoise, and it's my linchpin so far. Decent attack power, but his ability which is nearly half his disk is to sit there and shrug off any attack, which makes him a great lane blocker.

Last edited:

Dunsparce

Out of Control
Forum Staff
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So is this their spiritual successor to their Pokemon Figure Game they had a while back?

The figure game was a disaster. Outside of the numerous delays that made interest wane in it, they also were poorly made. If the figures weren't already broken in the packaging, they would break after very little use. Helped kill it off before they could even completely release their second set(IIRC they only released the starter sets of it).

José Mourinho

The Special One
Forum Staff
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Used to play it for a while. Really liked collecting these EX Figures.

Army Burger

RIP John Lewis
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The figure game was a disaster. Outside of the numerous delays that made interest wane in it, they also were poorly made. If the figures weren't already broken in the packaging, they would break after very little use. Helped kill it off before they could even completely release their second set(IIRC they only released the starter sets of it).

Yep, I do recall that. Young Army Burger was not impressed with how easily one of his broke.