Plagued Pokémon Generation Elitists - Unovabortions and others

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
I follow this guy on Twitter because he's a huge sperg, and one of the things he spergs about is Pokemon. He's a massive Hoennfag with some vague weeb tendencies. He doesn't actually hate first gen, but I've seen him go on about how he hates the American release "because it's badly localized!" Except he never elaborates on why (though I think he means Cinnabar Island and Celadon City didn't receive names especially close to their direct translations, but beyond that I have no idea what he could be referring to). That said he hates second gen with a furious passion, though again he never, ever says why. I'll start keeping an eye out for new posts, but I'm not inclined to dig through over 23,000 tweets for old ones.

DawnDusk

Rose Christo's Brother
True & Honest Fan
Verified Kiwileak
kiwifarms.net
I like /vp/ (4chan's pokemon board, for those not in the know) but it's home to a lot of these debates. They seem pretty easy to trigger into this kind of argument.

4chan's /vp/ board is easily the site's youngest userbase (unabashedly underaged) and they practically have genwun witch hunts. It's a gold mine for this stuff.

Marizard

kiwifarms.net
4chan's /vp/ board is easily the site's youngest userbase (unabashedly underaged) and they practically have genwun witch hunts. It's a gold mine for this stuff.
For a second I read "underaged" as "prepubescent". AFAIK prepubescent kids still swear a lot when posting, but use improper grammar, spelling and capitalization.

But yeah, during the summer (before Sun/Moon came out) they had a massive boner for Gen V, and endlessly circlejerked about how perfect it was in every way (especially B2W2) and how it had Pokémon that people automatically fall in love with and Nate/Rosa were canonically the strongest Trainers in the series, while Gens I and VI were overrated abominations and Game Freak was wrong to tap into "genwunner normies", especially with GO. You get less of that nowadays; /vp/ instituted a "no genwars/gen flaming" rule, and Sun and Moon actually pacified half of the Gen V fans by innovating in similar ways.

Last edited:

#Triggered

kiwifarms.net
honestly i dont blame them, creaters of pokemon were running dry creativity wise and were reaching farther and farther each generation to create new pokemon, this new aloha thing being the most ridiculous shit iv ever seen... i mean they made an icecream cone into a pokemon in gen 5... wtf?? like a magnet that's stretching and it was first gen but how can a food, that melts, be a living thing. ... it makes no sense. first 3 generations were good but started to deteriorate and now i have lost the willing suspension of disbelief needed to watch it seriously. i still have the best pokemon yo mama jokes though.

edit: the icecream thingy was gen 5, not 3, i can't keep the gens straight apparently.

Last edited:

Marizard

kiwifarms.net
honestly i dont blame them, creaters of pokemon were running dry creativity wise and were reaching farther and farther each generation to create new pokemon, this new aloha thing being the most ridiculous shit iv ever seen... i mean they made an icecream cone into a pokemon in gen 3... wtf?? like a magnet that's stretching and it was first gen but how can a food, that melts, be a living thing. ... it makes no sense. first 3 generations were good but started to deteriorate and now i have lost the willing suspension of disbelief needed to watch it seriously. i still have the best pokemon yo mama jokes though.

Gen V did a ton of good by overhauling the characters and region and story and the system in general, and by being the first clear-cut attempt to cater to older fans. But you know something's up in terms with "running dry" when they have the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row among other fatal mistakes.

Marizard

kiwifarms.net
you dont grow out of all hobbies as you get older, grow out of some, but not all.
It isn't really something to grow out of, it's more something to remember and revisit due to childhood nostalgia, like Power Rangers and Nicktoons. That's the secondary demographic Game Freak is targeting, and they and Nintendo have occasionally tried to push the notion that Pokémon is for anyone.

I want to believe there is one genwunner out there who despises Pokémon from Gen II-onward because it devalued their Charizard card.
How so?

El Porko Fako

Significantly different from other men
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Gen V did a ton of good by overhauling the characters and region and story and the system in general, and by being the first clear-cut attempt to cater to older fans. But you know something's up in terms with "running dry" when they have the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row among other fatal mistakes.

Hell, Gen 5 deserves credit alone for being the 1st game in the series to have unlimited TM uses.

I'm personally not a fan of the "impractical/ridiculous design" argument that some fans (typically genwunners) seem to have. These spergs shit all over Pokemon like Vanilluxe (who I love for being adorable and hilarious btw) and Emboar for being dumb, but Pokemon like Muk the shit monster and Mr. Fucking Mime are acceptable and totally believable. I'm just happy we continue to get new games every few years.

Gen 6 elitists are dumber than a bag of hammers tbh. I remember reading this thread on Reddit years ago when X/Y first came out, and these mongoloids were claiming X/Y was the best in the series because the other games were too hard. I don't remember the exact quote, but they claimed the previous games were far too hard because "experience was a finite resource" and "the gym leaders were unforgiving." I remember those 2 phrases specifically because me and my friend couldn't stop laughing for days after we read that shit.

#Triggered

kiwifarms.net
I want to believe there is one genwunner out there who despises Pokémon from Gen II-onward because it devalued their Charizard card.
the card game? that shit cycles out every few sets. any card devalues as the game goes on and they bring out new cards with old pokemon all the time... dont stick to generations... it has nothing to do with generations...

Marizard

kiwifarms.net
Hell, Gen 5 deserves credit alone for being the 1st game in the series to have unlimited TM uses.

I'm personally not a fan of the "impractical/ridiculous design" argument that some fans (typically genwunners) seem to have. These spergs shit all over Pokemon like Vanilluxe (who I love for being adorable and hilarious btw) and Emboar for being dumb, but Pokemon like Muk the shit monster and Mr. Fucking Mime are acceptable and totally believable. I'm just happy we continue to get new games every few years.

Gen 6 elitists are dumber than a bag of hammers tbh. I remember reading this thread on Reddit years ago when X/Y first came out, and these mongoloids were claiming X/Y was the best in the series because the other games were too hard. I don't remember the exact quote, but they claimed the previous games were far too hard because "experience was a finite resource" and "the gym leaders were unforgiving." I remember those 2 phrases specifically because me and my friend couldn't stop laughing for days after we read that shit.

Vanillite and Trubbish aren't the problem. The problem comes not with the number of ugly designs, but where in the Dex they're placed and what roles they play.

One of the big reasons Emboar is a mistake is because it's a starter, aka one of the faces of its generation. All three starters in general were lambasted for their unoriginal typings (worst in Emboar's case) and poor competitive worth, especially since their Hidden Abilities weren't released in their actual debut gen while most of the other starters got theirs. Similarly, with the elemental monkeys, they come really early in the game and waste six Dex slots with their bad stats and identical designs. Most of the early-game Pokémon aren't well-regarded, the slightly better ones (Excadrill, Krookodile) come roughly mid-game, and the designs that everyone praises (the dragons, the legendaries, Volcarona, Golurk, Bisharp, Braviary) come really late in the game.

While you can make a case for XY being notable/good games because of the mechanical and gameplay changes they brought and because of their Pokédex and well-designed new Pokémon, the case you described (where people praised them because they weren't "too hard") is just stupid, and the kind of thing we're looking for here.

the card game? that shit cycles out every few sets. any card devalues as the game goes on and they bring out new cards with old pokemon all the time... dont stick to generations... it has nothing to do with generations...
Two things:
-Base Set Charizard was never playable.
-Base Set Charizard still fetches hundreds of dollars on eBay.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Remember how much of a big deal it was to get a Charizard card back when Pokémon cards actually meant something? People believed that Pokémon would fade to obscurity after a couple of years, and the cards and merchandise would be worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Last I heard, that wasn't the case for the old cards.

I don't care for the cards these days anyway, so I'm most likely wrong about all of this, but disgruntled fans sometimes have the lulziest explanations for why they hate something, and something like getting angry one's precious Charizard card from when they were seven means zip sounds lulzy to me.

#Triggered

kiwifarms.net
Vanillite and Trubbish aren't the problem. The problem comes not with the
Two things:
-Base Set Charizard was never playable.
-Base Set Charizard still fetches hundreds of dollars on eBay.
really? typically the singles in pokemon are the cheapest because they dont retain value because of the cycling. these days no one in that game buys cards as investments. i should have guessed that card would retain value for collecting purposes though...

sbm1990

BREAK IT DOWN!
kiwifarms.net
I don't get why people act all elitist about diferent generations. If anything, the game keeps getting better with each new generation.

Generation 2 is the most nostalgic to me. I remember waking up early to catch a Ledyba.

Yeah, I dont understand the elitism either. Its good to keep an open mind.

I myself, am very nostalgic for Gen 1 & 2 tbh. GBA emulators are awesome btw. The only downside is that you can't trade with other people.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Personally, I've always been kinda fond of Gen 1, 3, and 5. I skipped over gen 2 for some reason and didn't play it until after 5. I can see why a lot of people love it, but damn was it frustrating at points. (Maybe if I gave the remakes a shot, I'd change my mind, it's been a long time since I last played anything Pokemon related) 4 was relatively solid, but I guess it didn't quite have that WOW factor the other games had. Haven't played X/Y or Sun/Moon, and probably won't anytime soon. Not because I'm an elitist, my tastes in games have changed is all.

If anything, I'm kinda happy to see something from my childhood still being popular with kids today. Does make me feel a little old though.

Status
Not open for further replies.