Pokemon Griefing Thread - Damage Control Entering The Ring, Enjoy Your $90 Lackluster Game #ThankYouGameFreak

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
It's like GF collectively isn't playing other titles or consuming other creative media. They're stuck in a weird bubble where all they do is make pokemon without seeing what other content is out there. It's understandable that remaking the same thing over and over again with minimal changes leads to creative burnout.
It's likely crunch time all the time at GF with the yearly pokemon cycle. I doubt in the little free time they have, most of them wants to look at a game when all they do is work on a game for long hours.

SnowBall

God Tier Problematic
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why do people trash RSE and beyond for core series flaws but give the first two gameboy generations a free pass? Because the series had a shitton of problems since the very beginning. I replayed RBY on the 3DS VC and it was absolute shit. I see all these terrible coding mistakes and gameplay that was barebones even by the standards of the time it was released and am baffled by the 10/10 reviews it got. The only reason I could see why it was tolerated at the time was because fans played them when they were kids and it was the latest craze. Even the “it was their first Pokemon game” excuse doesn’t cut it as I have seen indie games created by people who had very little to no previous experience in coding make better, more stable games.

GSC was better but even those games has a ton of problems. Balancing issues and the way Pokemon were distributed around the areas were bad. Most Johto leaders did not have Johto Pokemon. I loved GSC to death as a kid and played it to the point where the internal battery wore out fast but looking back as an adult it felt less like a complete game and more like an expansion pack for RBY. I am aware it was originally called Pokemon 2 but Johto as a region relies way too hard on Kanto. I really don’t want to know what the games would have been like if Iwata didn’t step in.

Auk Autist

Birbs create the big Happy
kiwifarms.net
It's likely crunch time all the time at GF with the yearly pokemon cycle. I doubt in the little free time they have, most of them wants to look at a game when all they do is work on a game for long hours.
GF actually boasts about having next to no crunch time, with all employees working a standard 9-5 shift, a rarity in the modern gaming industry. Its very ethical and its something I do like, but the games are still shit to the point I wish they would've had crunch to justify the low development time

Reactions: left arm

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
I dunno, as someone who wasn’t bothered by anything in this whole “controversy” with Pokémon SW/SH and really enjoyed the game itself, a lot of these complaints just seem like people massively overreacting. But again, that’s coming from someone not bothered by the Pokédex stuff and everything
I enjoyed the game as well, but I think a lot of the nitpicking is just frustration that the actual game just isn't very great.

I finished it in 20 hours and put it down hard, even specifically spending a lot of time fucking around and filling out the dex. There isn't much post-game (a small post game title defense, battle tower).

There's a lot less battling in Sword and Shield (much less trainer battles) and traveling in general, there's a lot more talking, and the Max Raid system is neat, but the implementation is really bad at higher star levels and I don't feel any need to grind them out with how random they are (there's a small chance a den is active, and then a smaller chance that den has something you want, and a small chance the AI will be able to not be a 100% liability).

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Why do people trash RSE and beyond for core series flaws but give the first two gameboy generations a free pass? Because the series had a shitton of problems since the very beginning. I replayed RBY on the 3DS VC and it was absolute shit. I see all these terrible coding mistakes and gameplay that was barebones even by the standards of the time it was released and am baffled by the 10/10 reviews it got. The only reason I could see why it was tolerated at the time was because fans played them when they were kids and it was the latest craze. Even the “it was their first Pokemon game” excuse doesn’t cut it as I have seen indie games created by people who had very little to no previous experience in coding make better, more stable games.

GSC was better but even those games has a ton of problems. Balancing issues and the way Pokemon were distributed around the areas were bad. Most Johto leaders did not have Johto Pokemon. I loved GSC to death as a kid and played it to the point where the internal battery wore out fast but looking back as an adult it felt less like a complete game and more like an expansion pack for RBY. I am aware it was originally called Pokemon 2 but Johto as a region relies way too hard on Kanto. I really don’t want to know what the games would have been like if Iwata didn’t step in.
Those games obviously get a pass because of the technical limitations when they were developed. Obviously they don’t hold up by today’s standards, and are chock full of bugs that make them incredibly broken, but they had to pull a lot of coding tricks to even get it to work. I’m sure there’s many cases where they literally COULDN’T fix a bug because doing so would fuck up ten other things somewhere else in the code.

Nowadays, you really do not have many hard technical limitations beyond how fancy you can make the graphics, so there’s less of an excuse for dumb bugs and balance issues.

• Agree
Reactions: Nauseated Courgi

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
A lot of those bugs people know about take effort to go out and find too, I played yellow on original hardware and never had a crash or glitch (though I did lose a bit of progress due to batteries dying, aka my own stupidity.)

Other flaws like the stagnant metagame are Gamefreak's fault, but things like Ghosts and Dragons being strong against everything weren't really going to become an issue unless adults took up the game and continued to play it for years. Oops.

Reactions: left arm

ducktales4gameboy

well known in this neighborhood
kiwifarms.net
There is also the Ghost/Bug from Gen 3..that eats your soul if you look at it's back.
I always assumed that was a direct reference to Perdido Street Station, which has something very similar as a key plot element and came out roughly 2 years before Gen 3.

I know a lot of people in this thread have managed to catch ‘em all over the various games, but does anyone have a white whale Pokemon they’ve wanted but never managed to obtain?
Fucking Tauros in R/B. It was a Safari Zone exclusive with a super low catch-rate, and a friend corrupted my savefile at 149/150 attempting to do the link cable dupe glitch with Mewtwo. Tauros was the only non-Mew uncaught pokemon I had left. It stung a bit because I was like 13-14 at the time but eh, videogames.

rotollo

Just some asshole
kiwifarms.net
I know a lot of people in this thread have managed to catch ‘em all over the various games, but does anyone have a white whale Pokemon they’ve wanted but never managed to obtain?

Mine’s Steelix. When people first told me about it (in the days before I had high speed Internet to verify things), I thought it was a hoax since I never played the original Johto games and very few trainers had one. I love its design, but I’ve never found anyone I can trade with to get one.
For me it was a platinum shaymin, I kinda lost my time for the event due to not being able to find where my kart was for like 3 years, which is why while they were cool I'm kinda glad we don't have as many now.
Though I did hack in oaks letter in like two years ago to catch the fucker, so satisfying

zyclonPD

kiwifarms.net

This video seems to explain why SwSh was such a lazy entry. Bottom line of the video is that the game sales are less than 30% of the revenue of pokemon. Most the sales are from toys and merchandise which seems to check out.

Just consider any local Gamestop near you. If you walk in there you will see a whole section of Pokemon plushes, toys, etc. Those things likely costs pennies to make but are retailing for $20 each or more. The games are just the vehicle to introduce new toys and plushes for you to buy. Even when Pokemon did that Buildabear partnership last year, those Pokemon you could buy were more expensive than anything else Buildabear sells.

Pokemon won't change their ways until the toy sales dry up and they actually have to capitalize on the game's revenue itself.

Edit: random articles about Pokemon toy sales:

Pokemon made 2.1 billion dollars in "retail" revenue in 2015 ( to give some context to the other years increases after this and put a floor on their retail revenue figures).
Pokemon as a brand ranked #29 in company retail revenue with Disney being #1 in that category.

Pokemon was the top growth item in 2016 toy sales.

They saw a 285% increase in sales in 2016.

Pokemon caused the growth of the entire toy Market in 2017 by a percentage point off the back of Pokemon Go alone and boosted the market for 8 months.

Pokemon saw sales increases in markets like italy,Tcg sales went up 644%. Pokémon toys went up 146% in Italy. Fairly big increases.

Sword and Shield toys are about to hit the market like a truck and I'd be willing to bet record breaking sales for Christmas this year. They seemed to have missed the black Friday window but I doubt that will slow the sales.

Last edited:

Kuchipatchi

No nudes, just R34 pls
kiwifarms.net
Did You Know Gaming says the games didn't do so well at first but people are growing to like it. After going through the comments on here, that seems to be the case but I still have high disdain for the game, I'm going to sell my copy. I feel that people have set their standards too low and will just eat anything up if you put a Wooloo in front of them. Remember, this is the same generation of consoles as the PS4 or is my opinion unpopular now?

Edit: Actually, I don't think I should even bother with Pokemon now and I've finally out-grown it. I'll only go back to it if they do something spectacular but with these games, GF showed that they don't care about the games, just selling merch and I highly doubt that GF will surprise me with the next games. Until then, I'm signing out of the fandom for the time being.

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I tried out a Max Raid yesterday, and I wasn't a big fan of it. It's possibly because I can't seem to get a connection past the local connection or what-not (Internet fucking sucks, but I also don't have a Nintendo account to connect my profile to and I have no plans to), so I couldn't invite others to join, but it's clear the gimmick of it was to bring in other players through online (just make an MMO already!), otherwise it's not as fun. Really, I haven't had to Dynamax once thus far, I just don't see a point to as long as I have Pokémon that can tank Dynamax moves and wait it out three turns. The pattern is also obvious in that gym leaders use their signature Pokémon to Dynamax, and they come out last.

And again, to bitch about it for the umpteenth time, there should have been voice-acting. From how often key characters interrupt the battle or even just regular traveling to quip at you, there should've been voice-acting to keep it from looking so uncomfortably hokey. I know key characters have been doing this since Gen IV where they interrupt to say a one-liner, but they just slide in next to their Pokémon, then slide out just as quickly. They don't cut away from the battlefield to zoom in on their dead faces and mouth flaps. It's just so jarring and takes you out of the moment. But I don't recall it looking this bad from XY and Sun and Moon, that's the weird thing. (Although guess it goes to show how much those games left an impact in that I can't recall a lot of details.)

rotollo

Just some asshole
kiwifarms.net
I tried out a Max Raid yesterday, and I wasn't a big fan of it. It's possibly because I can't seem to get a connection past the local connection or what-not (Internet fucking sucks, but I also don't have a Nintendo account to connect my profile to and I have no plans to), so I couldn't invite others to join, but it's clear the gimmick of it was to bring in other players through online (just make an MMO already!), otherwise it's not as fun. Really, I haven't had to Dynamax once thus far, I just don't see a point to as long as I have Pokémon that can tank Dynamax moves and wait it out three turns. The pattern is also obvious in that gym leaders use their signature Pokémon to Dynamax, and they come out last.
I don't get why they keep trying to push multiplayer since aside from Gen 6 it has always felt so half baked or is pure dog shit on a fundamental level like festival plaza was.
hell I would of preferred keeping the GTS instead of this dumb wow raid shit

Questionable Ceviche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't get why they keep trying to push multiplayer since aside from Gen 6 it has always felt so half baked or is pure dog shit on a fundamental level like festival plaza was.
hell I would of preferred keeping the GTS instead of this dumb wow raid shit
Festival Plaza was awful. It was big, confusing, and really, really gimmicky. It was nothing some nice looking menus couldn't have done.

Hanamura

Darkness, endless, despair, fear no more
kiwifarms.net
Edit: Actually, I don't think I should even bother with Pokemon now and I've finally out-grown it. I'll only go back to it if they do something spectacular but with these games, GF showed that they don't care about the games, just selling merch and I highly doubt that GF will surprise me with the next games. Until then, I'm signing out of the fandom for the time being.
Yep, this is how I feel. I'll revisit the old games when I feel the itch to do so, but I have no interest in any new Pokemon games further if this is what it's gonna be from now on.

Rivalo

kiwifarms.net

SnowBall

God Tier Problematic
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Festival Plaza was awful. It was big, confusing, and really, really gimmicky. It was nothing some nice looking menus couldn't have done.
I actually liked Joint Avenue. I also loved the "Magnemite coil" system many people used to get others to visit their games.

The egg glitch looks like something that would have appeared in RBY if GF put the breeding system in there. They still can't code and it shows.

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
The egg glitch looks like something that would have appeared in RBY if GF put the breeding system in there. They still can't code and it shows.
The game in general kind of feels like that at points, as even by Game Freak's standards SWSH has more bugs and exploits than normal. They didn't even program the nicknaming censors correctly ffs (if you put a regular word in front of a bad one you can name your mons just about any crude thing that comes to mind). They also didn't safeguard against clock manipulation like they always did before so you can exploit the weather and raid systems to hell and back.

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The game in general kind of feels like that at points, as even by Game Freak's standards SWSH has more bugs and exploits than normal. They didn't even program the nicknaming censors correctly ffs (if you put a regular word in front of a bad one you can name your mons just about any crude thing that comes to mind). They also didn't safeguard against clock manipulation like they always did before so you can exploit the weather and raid systems to hell and back.
Well, to be more fair to GF they do have protections against clock manipulation, it's just for some reason those protections cease to work when you are in a lobby looking for more people for max raids. That said, most Pokemon games that have some incentive to glitch the clock have also had protections against people changing the time and have had people exploit some glitch to get around it. So this is more of a "GF still hasn't figured out to stop this behavior" thing then a sudden bout of laziness.

It's more of a symptom of the fact they are making a game that works without an always on connection that also has timed events/daily resets. If they really wanted to stop it the easiest/best solution would be to make you connect to the internet and get the time from their server, but that also would gimp the game for anyone not sitting next to an open wifi at all times. I'd rather have a game that works off-line then have a bug that simply reduces grinding and RNG fixed, since Pokemon is a huge time sink even with the bug.

Also you can get around the censor with pronunciations marks too, I've been inflicting my Corviknight named Cheeky Cünt on people.

FluffyTehFennekin

“Special snowflake” is my brand
kiwifarms.net
The bugs continue to show up. This time, you can evolve Pokémon in eggs (Archive).
https://twitter.com/CentroPokemon/status/1203031982994862080 (Archive)
View attachment 1039279
View attachment 1039270
Another one is a dex bug regarding gender/formes (Archive)
View attachment 1039276
View attachment 1039280
Of course, troons immediately began to try and grab this one for themselves, while completely lacking any awareness to the fact that by claiming this BUG is making a Pokémon trans, they're basically saying that being a troon is a bug in humans.
View attachment 1039282
View attachment 1039284
View attachment 1039285
Ah yes, I remember the gender bending Marill glitch

Tags
None