Pokemon Griefing Thread - Pokemon Home worse than expected, be sure to pay up more for DLCs #ThankYouGameFreak

Massively Strong Greed

Thanks for the money, dummy!
kiwifarms.net
No. In fact while I'm fond of it, Dhelmise isn't even among my top favorites. It's mostly there for the username wordplay.

My actual #1 is this little weirdo.
View attachment 1184361
Ostriches are my favorite animal, and I'm just a massive bird person period. That and one of my earliest memories with the series was playing Stadium at a friend's house, picking Dodrio because he looked cool, and proceeding to utterly decimate my friend's team. Then later when I got Y (I actually got into the series very late thanks to Satanic Panic parents) it was my first to reach lv. 100, and when I later took up shiny breeding it was the first shiny I got with a perfect IV spread. It's a mon that's always been special to me for multiple reasons.
Dodrio's pretty fun, I'm using it in LeafGreen right now. My favorite is Pinsir, most badass design ever.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My favorite non-legendary birbs are Swellow, Pidgeot, the Porygon line, and above them Skarmory. Skarmory reminds me of Chromosaurus, a 1985 CGI animation of metal dinosaurs.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Free trial for Bank ends soon and I don't know if it removed my subscription count or not. I withdrew my living dex and put it all in Ultra Sun to see, but I kinda don't want to renew my sub again since I'm a little disappointed with the way things are going nowadays.
I actually hadn’t paid for my Bank in at least a year now, but when I got on Home and used the “Download without DS” option to transfer everything from my Bank, everything was still there. So you might be luck and the account will still be there if you change your mind later.

SnowBall

God Tier Problematic
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes I wonder why genwunners memory hole the 90’s Pokemon craze. There is this mentality that the first two generations were soulful and not corporate despite the massive commercialization and the sheer grip Pokemon had on media back at its height of popularity, People give Taijiri way too much credit. Besides he still works on the games anyways so this narrative is weak.

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes I wonder why genwunners memory hole the 90’s Pokemon craze. There is this mentality that the first two generations were soulful and not corporate despite the massive commercialization and the sheer grip Pokemon had on media back at its height of popularity, People give Taijiri way too much credit. Besides he still works on the games anyways so this narrative is weak.
Nostalgia is a stupidly strong blinker (those leather squares you see around the eyes of racing and drafting horses). You only focus on the good things of the past and ignore the negatives that surrounded them.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You don’t get it, man! Pokémon designs use to make sense and were thought out! Now they’re just lazy and uninspired! Blah blah blah...

I think my favorite moment of that sort of thing was a group of Youtubers playing that Pixelmon game and someone came across a Solosis for the first time and said something to the effect of “what the hell? It’s just a ball?” to whichhis friend immediately responded with “Oh, you mean like Voltorb?”, who is the first guy’s favorite Pokémon. Everyone got a good laugh out of it.

Approx. 59 Robins

kiwifarms.net
You don’t get it, man! Pokémon designs use to make sense and were thought out! Now they’re just lazy and uninspired! Blah blah blah...

I think my favorite moment of that sort of thing was a group of Youtubers playing that Pixelmon game and someone came across a Solosis for the first time and said something to the effect of “what the hell? It’s just a ball?” to whichhis friend immediately responded with “Oh, you mean like Voltorb?”, who is the first guy’s favorite Pokémon. Everyone got a good laugh out of it.
I don't think there are many people that won't agree that Gen I had some pretty bad designs (Like Voltorb, Muk and Lickitung), but I will say I'm a sucker for the general aesthetic that Gen I and Gen II designs had. It just feels like there's something lacking in the designs in Gen VI onwards - there's definitely some major differences in how newer Pokemon are designed, but I can't quite put my finger on what exactly it is.

SnowBall

God Tier Problematic
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think there are many people that won't agree that Gen I had some pretty bad designs (Like Voltorb, Muk and Lickitung), but I will say I'm a sucker for the general aesthetic that Gen I and Gen II designs had. It just feels like there's something lacking in the designs in Gen VI onwards - there's definitely some major differences in how newer Pokemon are designed, but I can't quite put my finger on what exactly it is.
I think people don’t realize art styles inevitably change. Expecting an artist to draw the exact same way for decades is extremely unrealistic. Gen I and II are very much a product of the late 90’s/early 2000’s, with designs that were considered cool at the time. Same thing with all the other gens being based off trends of the years they came out. Kanto has the same good to shit ratio of designs as every other region, it just has the power of nostalgia to carry it. As I said earlier in this thread the Pokemon craze mostly died out by GSC, at least where I lived. Even Johto was shat on bad in the early days, with criticisms like the designs being babyish and too simplistic. Most kids were just too young or lost interest in the series to notice internet fandom discussions.

I know lots of people love the old school water color art, with me being one of them. I have seen people redraw newer Pokemon in this style and while they look awesome all it does is cover up the shittier designs, like spraying febreeze on a turd. Besides from what I remember most of the old school art was pretty much confined to the games, all other media used the simpler and cleaner anime art.

Yet again I am one of those rare few who actually like Gen V Pokemon. Sure many were ugly and weird but just like the unique style of the first two generations those designs had a certain charm to them. I liked the rough around the edges urban feel of BW and BW2.

Nauseated Courgi

It's an Ass-Fuck-Get-Fucked world out there
kiwifarms.net
Yet again I am one of those rare few who actually like Gen V Pokemon. Sure many were ugly and weird but just like the unique style of the first two generations those designs had a certain charm to them. I liked the rough around the edges urban feel of BW and BW2.
Same, The style really fits it best considering the region itself is based off of the US.

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
I think people don’t realize art styles inevitably change. Expecting an artist to draw the exact same way for decades is extremely unrealistic.
*JoJoBA intentifies*

Anyway, pretty much just fans wanting things to never change, but also change at the same time.

I don't think there are many people that won't agree that Gen I had some pretty bad designs (Like Voltorb, Muk and Lickitung),
Voltorb is pure and perfect, I agree on muk and the touge fetish pokemon being bad.

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
I'm mixed on the (pardon the pun here) design evolution over the years. Earlier creatures had a tendency to be a lot more abstract in their inspirations and truly felt like, well, monsters. The Nido line(s) are the apex example of this, where they don't seem to draw from any one particular source from a design perspective (ask anyone what they resemble and you're likely to get a laundry list of animals in response). That and the overall aesthetic was more overall simplified with some mons just being kinda, there (Seel is exactly what it says on the tin, Goldeen's just a goldfish, ect.) which some prefer over the more extravagant creatures that would appear later.

However, I do enjoy the more focused designs of newer generations, such as Toxapex not just being a generic starfish but more specifically a crown-of-thorns, and Aurorus' inspiration coming from the distinct Amargasaurus in lieu of a typical sauropod. That said, as most are fully aware, the newer gens also have an increasingly frequent problem with furry pandering where mons are becoming more and more like walking fursuits than at least somewhat believable creatures, with the Galar starters being the most egregious recent example where all 3 become bipedal (to a degree, Rillaboom could be considered semi-bipedal).

In the end though, all the qualities apply to every generation to some degree or another, like Sandslash and Hitmonchan in gen I (distinct non-generic species, anthro humanoid) to Barraskewda and Greedent in gen VIII (generic predatory fish, just a squirrel).

Only real differences are how the general "waves" of design philosophies change from one game to the next.

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
I'm mixed on the (pardon the pun here) design evolution over the years. Earlier creatures had a tendency to be a lot more abstract in their inspirations and truly felt like, well, monsters. The Nido line(s) are the apex example of this, where they don't seem to draw from any one particular source from a design perspective (ask anyone what they resemble and you're likely to get a laundry list of animals in response). That and the overall aesthetic was more overall simplified with some mons just being kinda, there (Seel is exactly what it says on the tin, Goldeen's just a goldfish, ect.) which some prefer over the more extravagant creatures that would appear later.

However, I do enjoy the more focused designs of newer generations, such as Toxapex not just being a generic starfish but more specifically a crown-of-thorns, and Aurorus' inspiration coming from the distinct Amargasaurus in lieu of a typical sauropod. That said, as most are fully aware, the newer gens also have an increasingly frequent problem with furry pandering where mons are becoming more and more like walking fursuits than at least somewhat believable creatures, with the Galar starters being the most egregious recent example where all 3 become bipedal (to a degree, Rillaboom could be considered semi-bipedal).

In the end though, all the qualities apply to every generation to some degree or another, like Sandslash and Hitmonchan in gen I (distinct non-generic species, anthro humanoid) to Barraskewda and Greedent in gen VIII (generic predatory fish, just a squirrel).

Only real differences are how the general "waves" of design philosophies change from one game to the next.
Hitmon line is just weird. We start with a child, and end with a headless ass kicker, Bootleg little mac, or the third one that might as well be gold owning string puller's toy.

• Agree
Reactions: Count groudon

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think Pokemon designs just got cutesier. Older designs weren't afraid to make them look intimidating, pointy, or ugly--I think the knee-jerk reactions to Trubbish and Garbodor (although Trubbish is kinda cute as a rabbit) made Game Freak a bit more hesitant to want to go all-out like that. And hell, even some of the older designs got a cutesy upgrade overtime. Think it's telling that when Detective Pikachu was being made, The Pokemon Company said the designers had to make them cute somehow or another.

Pokemon was special to me as a kid, but in hindsight, I have to wonder just how and why it is Pokemon exploded the way it did, and the fact that we've never seen anything quite like that phenomenon ever again. I do think the first episode of the anime was really excellent in setting the tone of what the series was ultimately about, which is why it caught a lot of kids' imaginations and attention, but the parents were just as crazed about it as the kids since they were the ones buying all of the shit for us tykes--like were they really forced to do it? It wasn't like us kids held them at gunpoint for Pokemon. My mom said some years back that she and Dad bought the cards and some of the merch (especially the Burger King toys) because they thought Pokemon was nothing more than a fad. Even though she actually somewhat liked the show and still says to this day Psyduck's her favorite, she literally believed that once it went away, the toys would go up in value in the future so she could make bank off of them on eBay.

Lol. They've been rotting in a box for twenty years no reason except to sometimes be taken out to look through during nostalgia attacks. 'Til I "rescued" some of them to keep (plushies, mostly).

Actually, I think she might've been able to do it with the Pez dispensers had my brothers and I not eaten the PokeBall-shaped candy. Come on, look at these cute lil' fatties.
$_3.JPG

nsGVfWp.jpg

(These are actually my personal fav when it comes to Pokemon merch, but I like the Mew one more lol.)

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My mom said some years back that she and Dad bought the cards and some of the merch (especially the Burger King toys) because they thought Pokemon was nothing more than a fad. Even though she actually somewhat liked the show and still says to this day Psyduck's her favorite, she literally believed that once it went away, the toys would go up in value in the future so she could make bank off of them on eBay.
Depending on how rare that shit is, she could probably make decent bank off it.

Shway

kiwifarms.net
While we’re on the subject of merch, I actually have hundreds of cards in a binder, a few of them being my older sister’s small collection. A lot of holos and a few reverse holos, but the only notable cards that I have are a Kyogre gold star, and a Neo Genesis 17/111 Typhlosion. I also managed to pull out an Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia GX card a few weeks ago.

I also have a few plushies that I got cheap from when Toys’R’Us was doing their liquidation sales.
80ACFC20-E71F-4E28-8395-5DE133C5E8FC.jpeg

What kind of stuff do you guys have?

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mount Pyre can get pretty sad.

"Memories of my darling Skitty... My eyes flood just thinking about it."

"Why is he so particular about [his grave]? Once you die, everything will be gone..."

Meanwhile a Hex Maniac and others hang around waiting for trainers to battle in a graveyard.

Tags
None