Pokémon (Not-So) Griefing Thread - Gen 9 announced: Scarlet and Violet, Releasing Late 2022

• We've gotten t.me/kiwifarms set up for downtime announcements since Twitter doesn't allow us to have one.

Mike Stoklasa

v=YbsRfRmL5Kc
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well I'm hyped
Ehhhhh... it still looks kind of bland and janky. They are going to sell a ton of this because it is Pokemon and because it is different. But it looks pretty amateur like Sword and Shield. I am skeptical when it comes to how the game is expanded by opening up the world and retrofitting the battle system into a seamless experience. I'm not convinced the developers at Game Freak are up to the task and will fall back on their tendancies of implementing one change and being lazy with everything else.

Hope I'm wrong. But I am probably not. :roll:

Questionable Ceviche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ehhhhh... it still looks kind of bland and janky. They are going to sell a ton of this because it is Pokemon and because it is different. But it looks pretty amateur like Sword and Shield. I am skeptical when it comes to how the game is expanded by opening up the world and retrofitting the battle system into a seamless experience. I'm not convinced the developers at Game Freak are up to the task and will fall back on their tendancies of implementing one change and being lazy with everything else.

Hope I'm wrong. But I am probably not. :roll:
I'm not excited about the trailers either, and that's basically why. Janky is a good way to describe how it looks. The trailer doesn't have the polish of a finished game. Everything seems kind of jerky, stiff, and misplaced within the world. I expected that stuff with the early preview trailers they did, but not promotional videos this close to release.

I couldn't get all the way through SwSh because of how janky it was. The paths were so linear with constant NPC interruptions, and the terrible pop-in made the wild areas rough to navigate. It was death by a thousand cuts of all the bad decisions and half-implemented elements. The thing that frustrated me was how obviously unfinished the game was. There was a lot of great potential left on the table. It wasn't a good player experience. There are some serious mismanagement problems at GF that were painfully visible in the released product. I felt like the state of the game disrespected my limited leisure time as an adult with responsibilities. This isn't an indie studio with a tight budget and passionate but inexperienced staff.

The visuals don't really matter if the gameplay is great. Games can look like shit and still be really fun to play. Games (and media in general) can be made for children that still respect the player's time and intelligence. That said, after they've released so many half-baked titles in a row, why should this one be any different? It's difficult for me to overcome that feeling. The art direction is pretty cool. I hope they do something different with the series, but I'm not hopeful about it.

Rotollo 2

Happy Early 420 boys
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes Y
The visuals don't really matter if the gameplay is great. Games can look like shit and still be really fun to play. Games (and media in general) can be made for children that still respect the player's time and intelligence. That said, after they've released so many half-baked titles in a row, why should this one be any different? It's difficult for me to overcome that feeling. The art direction is pretty cool. I hope they do something different with the series, but I'm not hopeful about it.
I'm more optimisitc because I like the whole biome and shit angle, but I feel like if the gameplay loop is at least fun and they don't abandon the systems for gen 9 it could make something great but knowing GF they will just make SUMO 3 for gen 9 and abandon all the shit from legends

Nauseated Courgi

Bulldogs are cool dogs, guys!
kiwifarms.net
I'm more optimisitc because I like the whole biome and shit angle, but I feel like if the gameplay loop is at least fun and they don't abandon the systems for gen 9 it could make something great but knowing GF they will just make SUMO 3 for gen 9 and abandon all the shit from legends
If anything, I could see legends becoming more of a side series with it replacing remakes.

If/when they remake Gen 5, I don't know where else they'd go at that point (expect remaking G/S/C again I guess).

Last edited:

Wingnut

WARNING: Remove before flight.
kiwifarms.net
If anything, I could see legends becoming more of a side series with it replacing remakes.

If/when they remake Gen 5, I don't know where else they'd at that point (expect remaking G/S/C again I guess).
I'd be willing to bet on the next remake being Let's Go Johto before Gen 5.

AnotherPleb

kiwifarms.net
I'd be willing to bet on the next remake being Let's Go Johto before Gen 5.
I'm willing to bet on them never remaking Unova because of the backlash the games got when they first came out - each and every generation after that has been them all but apologizing for Gen 5. About the only thing they've bothered keeping was the infinite TMs, and even with that they've been slowly walking it back with TRs and the breakable tms in BDSP.

Wingnut

WARNING: Remove before flight.
kiwifarms.net
I'm willing to bet on them never remaking Unova because of the backlash the games got when they first came out - each and every generation after that has been them all but apologizing for Gen 5. About the only thing they've bothered keeping was the infinite TMs, and even with that they've been slowly walking it back with TRs and the breakable tms in BDSP.
I wish we could've gotten at least one more generation of games out of the animated sprites. I loved them, and they had so much more personality than the current 3D models, which is just sad.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
I wish we could've gotten at least one more generation of games out of the animated sprites. I loved them, and they had so much more personality than the current 3D models, which is just sad.
Hell, Pokemon Stadium 3d Models had more personality than the current 3D models do, and those games were made by a third party (HAL)

In fact, i'd even say POKKEN gave the mons more personality than the official games.