Pokémon (Not-So) Griefing Thread - Gen 9 announced: Scarlet and Violet, Releasing Late 2022

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

Leaf Wage Slave

Need Time Machine to save Harambe
kiwifarms.net
I’m just gonna chip in on the PLA Graphics argument and say that I’d rather more studios go for stylized approaches rather than having everything be as realistic as possible - gameplay still trumps all, but I’m more likely to remember a game that has a unique look (random ass example - Okami) than “Generic Realistic Looking Game #1637”

Do I think they’ve gone for this on purpose, no it’s GF it’s safer to assume they just did the bare minimum as far as graphics, but I’m willing to overlook a lot if the game’s at least fun - it’s escapism, the bar can’t go much lower.
Gen 2 was the best until Gen 4 took its throne. Then Gen 5 became the new best.
I feel like the one person who liked Gen 3 the best. Good Pokémon in the game, hadn’t yet reached the point of absurdity for how many Pokémon existed, and the OG Battle Frontier was an actual challenge for younger me

Bunny Tracks

Nothing equals the splendor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When it comes to whether, or not Pokemon graphics should be realistic, I'd argue that they shouldn't be.

While Detective Pikachu did prove that making Pokemon look realistic without making them look like nightmarish monsters is possible, they chose only a certain amount of 'mons for a reason and trying to do the same for all 1000+ of them would just be a shitshow.

I know I'm in the minority that thinks SWSH look fine, but I'm not gonna act like they couldn't have done better. I think what they need to do is scale back things, or otherwise outsource them to other competent studios like they did with Coliseum and XD. Those games are over fifteen years old, and they still look good.

Last edited:

Jean Lafitte 1812

kiwifarms.net
I'll add on that several of the ongoing fan bugbites - most notably the removal of the Battle Frontier - started in B/W. The new features were mostly hardly utilised, superficial, and/or cumbersome, and to be honest, a lot of the pixel rescaling made the game look butt-fugly.

I'm always kinda stunned by the calls that Gen 5 was the last good gen, as in a lot of ways, it started many of the problems.
The thing about Gen 5 is that they added things to replace the Battle Frontier, specifically the Pokemon World Tournament where you could do competitive battles against every Gym Leader, Champion, and even actual VGC winners via Internet download. I would take that over a frontier and keep hoping they'll raid the Masters assets to do it again. Of course they never will, but we can still mock them for not doing that.
They’ve been removing features all the way since gen 3. Even gen 2 got rid of the safari zone. I feel gen 5 gets way too much nit picking and heavy scrutiny. You can’t even say you enjoy gen 5 or consider it the peak of Pokemon anymore without someone freaking out and accusing you of acting like a genwunner. Or newer fans accusing you of hating the 3D games even if you never said such a thing,
The map for a Safari Zone type area are actually in the Gold and Silver ROMs. It's speculated that it was cut due to the late discovery of the Safari Zone escape glitch in RBY, but it probably was just a time constraint considering how much of a development hell Gold and Silver were and how much got cut.

This is also why I prefer tier listing games in a series: just because I like ORAS best doesn't mean I don't love USUM and Gens 3-5 too.

McMitch4kf

kiwifarms.net
The map for a Safari Zone type area are actually in the Gold and Silver ROMs. It's speculated that it was cut due to the late discovery of the Safari Zone escape glitch in RBY, but it probably was just a time constraint considering how much of a development hell Gold and Silver were and how much got cut.
Gen 2’s development was incredibly scuffed: being developed on a reduced team because half of them were working on Yellow, on top of a reduced development cycle because the original games took like six years to develop. Contrary to the legend, siesta didn’t optimize their code as much as wrote a better decompression algorithm because they were struggling with the massive graphics load called “color”.
There’s a lot of code that’s hilariously unoptimized; such as the tree shaking animation for when you use Headbutt (it’s something like ten lines of code when two would suffice, on a system where developers were partitioning individual bytes).

Klokateer636

kiwifarms.net
Legends Arceus honestly has my attention, it's in the direction I've hoped the games would go for a long long time.

Haven't played any of the official games since SM, as USUM, SwSh & BDSP just don't look any good to me.

LA though? Alot of new mechanics and a far better open world system than SwSh displayed. Sure, the graphics aren't all that impressive, but considering the hardware was already outdated when the switch came out, it looks decent. Would like if it looked better, but I'll take gameplay over graphics anytime.

Now, where my Gen3 representatives at?!

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just saw that the Sinnoh Sitting Cuties line has recently come out. I was shocked Darkrai and Gallade weren't sold out yet (unless new shipments came in), so I yoinked immediately.

[patiently waits for order to ship]

Dr. Geronimo

How do I look, yellow n'wah?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tried New Snap and not really feeling it. Mainly some internal sperging regarding the fact that you can't slow down the car so I'm already passing the mon by the time it eats my damn apple.

Interested in Legends but not expecting much since most of my issues with modern pokemans is that they feel so much slower and sluggish over gen 3 and 5.

Gen 2 is my favorite but concede that gen 5 is best. Fight me IRL

Rotollo 2

Shootmatora
kiwifarms.net
1642304363439.png

The absloute lengths people will go to not call Legends Arceus and Lets go mainline

Some Badger

Diggy Diggy Forest Dog
kiwifarms.net
X and Y are still better games than SWSH
I'm revisiting Kalos right now as I play Withering Y, and while the graphics in SWSH are improved from better hardware, it all goes out the window once you reach the Wild Area and the quality of overworld models takes a nosedive. There's a lot of aspects of X&Y that are worthy of criticism, but I don't necessarily think graphics is one of them. The model and texture quality were perfectly acceptable given the hardware limitations of the 3DS, and considering this was Pokemon's first title in 3D, I'm more forgiving of its graphic shortcomings than Sword and Shield.

X&Y was more creative about its overworld layout than Galar by orders of magnitude. I know Lumiose City is a meme but having a dynamic camera layout help set home the fact that you were in a big city and getting lost was part of the fun. Gittering Cave meanwhile had that same dynamic camera and the interior is gorgeous, which almost distracts you from the fact that's just a bunch of forked paths leading to a single destination. The Galar Mines meanwhile are... just tunnels.

6MillionCoofs

kiwifarms.net
I'm revisiting Kalos right now as I play Withering Y, and while the graphics in SWSH are improved from better hardware, it all goes out the window once you reach the Wild Area and the quality of overworld models takes a nosedive.
While that's true I wasn't even thinking about that when saying XY and better than SWSH. There's so many other larger issues in just how the base game of SWSH is put together and the DLC does not address those issues.

I literally don't care that the Wild Area looks bland, I care that it feels physically empty and boring to traverse.

Some Badger

Diggy Diggy Forest Dog
kiwifarms.net
While that's true I wasn't even thinking about that when saying XY and better than SWSH. There's so many other larger issues in just how the base game of SWSH is put together and the DLC does not address those issues.

I literally don't care that the Wild Area looks bland, I care that it feels physically empty and boring to traverse.
I wasn’t about to write an entire thesis in the dead of night about why X&Y is superior to SWSH despite being nearly a decade old game. The graphics just happened to be the first thing that stuck out to me as I currently play through a modded version of it.