Pokémon (Not-So) Griefing Thread - Gen 9 announced: Scarlet and Violet, Releasing Late 2022

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

sour cream

Non binary cake-gender
kiwifarms.net
Red and Blue were held together by copious amounts of duct tape and were glitchy messes that’d make Bethesda proud.
I see this repeated over and over but I don't really understand it. Are there a lot of glitches in Red/Blue? Absolutely! But the chances you'll come across a glitch that makes your game do something obviously wrong and/or crash is slim to none. I've never heard of someone softlocking unless they're a retard who traps themselves in the seismic toss TM spot on the route to Bill's house.

It took like 5 years before anyone even figured out the Mew glitch! The Pokemon GameBoy games run like a dream compared to any buggy trash mess Bethesda puts out. Things like badge boost, gen1 miss, catch mechanics and a couple poorly programmed moves are things a kid would never notice. For how ambitious and large of a game it is, Pokemon is very well done.

Lone Star

kiwifarms.net
I see this repeated over and over but I don't really understand it. Are there a lot of glitches in Red/Blue? Absolutely! But the chances you'll come across a glitch that makes your game do something obviously wrong and/or crash is slim to none. I've never heard of someone softlocking unless they're a retard who traps themselves in the seismic toss TM spot on the route to Bill's house.

It took like 5 years before anyone even figured out the Mew glitch! The Pokemon GameBoy games run like a dream compared to any buggy trash mess Bethesda puts out. Things like badge boost, gen1 miss, catch mechanics and a couple poorly programmed moves are things a kid would never notice. For how ambitious and large of a game it is, Pokemon is very well done.
You may not be able to softlock the game easily or do weird shit Bethesda games are known for, but a lot of very basic game mechanics simply don't work. Or at least they don't work as intended. There are what seems like dozens of moves that weren't programmed right.

SSj_Ness

Time to rape organized crime
kiwifarms.net

Yeah, people who say otherwise probably didn't play it as a kid and just watched YouTube videos compiling decades worth of obscure and minor glitches. Most people likely didn't notice many significant ones, and some actually increased the appeal of the game for people, like MissingNO.

Archeops

Trying to find the meaning of Life, no luck so far
kiwifarms.net
Well it appears that the TCG’s usual post-World Championship rotation isn’t happening in August, it’s happening in early 2023. They’ve also banned some promo cards (all of the Special Delivery promos, the Dark Sylveon V and Lance’s Charizard V promos that were bundled with some Celebrations products, and the Europe-only “On the Ball” promos) from organized play due to them lacking a worldwide release.

As to why we’re getting this weird mid-season rotation there are a lot of theories running around but the one that makes the most sense is that TPCi wants to match Japan’s Standard rotation format going forward, which would mean that this style of rotation is going to be a permanent thing going forward.

NerdShamer

International Glownigger Commander
kiwifarms.net
So, an friend gave me an copy of Sword the other week and I'm standing in front of the fifth gym, right now. So far, I want to say that it's been an mostly uneventful ride. Only real drama that I've seen is that effeminate kid kicking the crap out of Hop and destroying that mural; I actually like him because they've included an recurring asshole in the games, for once. But anyways, I find it hilarious that I have to fight my way through an hoard of obese simps and the music is kind of underrated, especially the Gym Leader's theme...Which brings me to just how forced Dynamaxing really is, in this game. You can only use it within certain areas and it's basically an OP version of Mega Evolution. Only thing that keeps it even is that it's temporary.

My only real complaint is that the Wild Area (and Dexit) was overhyped and that the only place where the game actually goes by your system's clock is the Wild Area, for some reason. Sure, it screws with the opportunity of catching monsters with Dusk Balls; but it's just another non-issue that I have with the game, along with being unable to catch much of anything interesting within that vast expanse of land when it's first introduced.

But since I'm still talking about the critters, I haven't really been able to piece together an reasonably good team because: The main routes barely offer anything out of the ordinary until you've get past the third gym, and that the difficulty curve is kind of forcing me to grind here and there.

Overall, it's reasonably good and the mons that are lurking within the Wild Area are an decent replacement for the natives; it's just that the pacing is rushed and largely uneventful until an certain point. All I'm doing is larping as an archeologist, at this point. And the game is more linear than most of the series, I'm so used to having stuff being locked behind an giant boulder that I have to move instead of being within arm's reach.

Last edited:

Leaf Wage Slave

Need Time Machine to save Harambe
kiwifarms.net
My only real complaint is that the Wild Area (and Dexit) was overhyped and that the only place where the game actually goes by your system's clock is the Wild Area, for some reason. Sure, it screws with the opportunity of catching monsters with Dusk Balls; but it's just another non-issue that I have with the game, along with being unable to catch much of anything interesting within that vast expanse of land when it's first introduced.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, it’s been a while since I touched Gen 8 - but I’m fairly sure the routes start being affected by Time of Day in the post game.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, it’s been a while since I touched Gen 8 - but I’m fairly sure the routes start being affected by Time of Day in the post game.
Well, last night, I found out that the Dusk Balls are still synched to the Switch's clock, even when it's in broad daylight on the main route.

Last edited:

Thiletonomics

슬퍼하지 마십시오. 이것은 때때로 작동하는 방식입니다!
kiwifarms.net
Someone fixed the internal battery in my old copy of Sapphire, and I've been binging.

Gen 3 was my first, and therefore my favorite. ORAS is a gayified mockery.

Don't even get me started on ORAS. The only good thing to come out of that game was the flying feature. Flying around at night before bed is really nice, it's a shame they haven't brought back the flying feature. And no, Braviary in Arceus isn't the same as it has limitations.

The one really tiny detail that I didn't like about ORAS, is that they got rid of female triathletes for some reason. It's as if the devs and artists wanted to, for the most part, only make one body type for women in the games, compared to the males (i.e. Hikers in the older games), and makes it seem like they don't like athletic women, with a few exceptions.

1656904748639.png
1656904755772.png
1656904761879.png

It also reminded me of these drawings of them, as how they could have looked if they were included in ORAS, like the males:

1656904859049.png 1656904870817.png

Also, have they said anything about the previous generation gimmicks (i.e. Megas, Z-Moves, Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing) returning in Scarlet & Violet, or will those also fall to the GF tradition of abandoning features, just to "keep games fresh"?

Last edited:

Nauseated Courgi

Bulldogs are cool dogs, guys!
kiwifarms.net
Also, have they said anything about the previous generation gimmicks (i.e. Megas, Z-Moves, Dynamxing/Gigantamaxing) returning in Scarlet & Violet, or will those also fall to the GF tradition of abandoning features, just to "keep games fresh"?
No word on them yet, but I wouldn't hold my breath on any of them returning at this point and it's for the best in Dynamaxing's case.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
Almost done with the League championship in Sword. So far, some fun drama over what turned out to be an completely normal meeting is finally happening because it seems that the chairman is an magnet for crazy people, possibly because he's almost as unhinged as they are. And that's essentially it. Despite my disappointment with it, I feel like the game could use some more moments like these; I kinda miss fighting my way through an dozen or so grunts.

But at least this version of Pokemon League is breaking the mold by being an actual tournament instead of just pitting me against the Elite Four, who are usually irrelevant to the plot.

SSj_Ness

Time to rape organized crime
kiwifarms.net
But at least this version of Pokemon League is breaking the mold by being an actual tournament instead of just pitting me against the Elite Four, who are usually irrelevant to the plot.
Tournaments are always great, but I like the Elite Four + Champion format, though I suppose they could use some more plot relevance (or at least show up more often/get foreshadowed).

Archeops

kiwifarms.net
Also, have they said anything about the previous generation gimmicks (i.e. Megas, Z-Moves, Dynamxing/Gigantamaxing) returning in Scarlet & Violet, or will those also fall to the GF tradition of abandoning features, just to "keep games fresh"?
No word on them yet, but I wouldn't hold my breath on any of them returning at this point and it's for the best in Dynamaxing's case.
The Japanese logos have a six-pointed gemstone-like object on ‘em like all of the Japanese logos for post-Gen V games do (XY’s Mega Evolution symbol, ORAS’s alpha and omega symbols tying into Primal Reversion, SM’s Z-Crystal symbol, USUM’s Prism symbol tying into Necrozma, and SWSH’s weird Poke Ball-like logo hinting at Dynamax/Gigantamax.
2C3E0379-617F-4F91-97A1-4E08686EC2E5.jpeg

Suspicious Penguin

kiwifarms.net
The Japanese logos have a six-pointed gemstone-like object on ‘em like all of the Japanese logos for post-Gen V games do (XY’s Mega Evolution symbol, ORAS’s alpha and omega symbols tying into Primal Reversion, SM’s Z-Crystal symbol, USUM’s Prism symbol tying into Necrozma, and SWSH’s weird Poke Ball-like logo hinting at Dynamax/Gigantamax.
View attachment 3457112
Its sad that its more exciting to wait for some quality Gen VIII hacks than a new official pokemon game anymore.

Archeops

kiwifarms.net
Im more interested in a spiritual successor to battle revolution. Being able to battle with your DS as a controller using pokemon from your gen IV game was awesome.
I doubt we’ll ever see a sequel to the Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution for the forseeable future, Genius Sonority‘s Pokemon entries have shifted to puzzle-genre entries while TPC and GF don’t really see a use for such a title thanks to Gen VI’s shift into 3D. I also wouldn’t be surprised if GF used the same excuse they used to justify gutting the Battle Frontier from ORAS to explain the lack of such a console-level entry.

Suspicious Penguin

kiwifarms.net
I doubt we’ll ever see a sequel to the Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution for the forseeable future, Genius Sonority‘s Pokemon entries have shifted to puzzle-genre entries while TPC and GF don’t really see a use for such a title thanks to Gen VI’s shift into 3D. I also wouldn’t be surprised if GF used the same excuse they used to justify gutting the Battle Frontier from ORAS to explain the lack of such a console-level entry.

Even the quality of the spinoffs has taken a sharp nose dive since Gen V. Conquest was alright but did not do a great job at telling people it was a collaboration between pokemon and the "noabunga's ambition" franchise and only found out that it even had a manga adaptation years later.

The 3DS poke-bejeweled games can go to hell and Rumble didn't deserve to die so poke-bejeweled and GO could take its place.
Mystery dungeon became a fucking slog to even get to the gameplay with so much garbage fluff dialog. (I get its no illiad, but it makes Sun/Moon feel like they were free roam open world games by comparison.)

Then BDSP just brought all the bad issues the sinnoh games had back and added a fucking price tag to even trade online in the first place.

Last edited: