Pokemon (Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield Announced) -

Clockwork_PurBle

John Goldfarb, get your ass back home.
kiwifarms.net
Also the male protagonist was the lamest ever.

I liked all the starters (but hated how the anime portrayed Chimchar. What a pathetic baby) and they all had great, badass evolutions. Empoleon was a monster with Flash Cannon STAB.

And the Sinnoh Region wasn't terrible, it was just real hard to solidify a team early on.
#TeamPiplup

Clockwork_PurBle

kiwifarms.net
Fan art when starters are first released is such a double edged sword (badum tsh), on one hand, some of it is fantastic, but on the other, some of it is better than anything we could actually get.
View attachment 681344
I remember seeing all the fanart of Litten's possible final evolution showing quadruped circus tigers and ligers and whatnot and getting hyped...and then we got another bipedal fighter.

Reactions: Bunny Tracks

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember seeing all the fanart of Litten's possible final evolution showing quadruped circus tigers and ligers and whatnot and getting hyped...and then we got another bipedal fighter.
I love the concept of a wrestling heel Pokémon though. And people can complain all they want about him being a fighter, but he was still Fire/Dark. Plus, there’s already a bipedal giant circus cat fire Pokémon

Though at this point, I almost wish all the final evolutions will be Fighting types just to spite people

vertexwindi

Ohhh~ banana
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Though at this point, I almost wish all the final evolutions will be Fighting types just to spite people
Hahaha yeah.

Probably not original with this but good God the new starters look like parade balloons. I miss the days when Pokémon designs incorporated other forms besides perfectly circular spheres and didn't use every color in the rainbow.

Reactions: BroccoliBrain

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hahaha yeah.

Probably not original with this but good God the new starters look like parade balloons. I miss the days when Pokémon designs incorporated other forms besides perfectly circular spheres and didn't use every color in the rainbow.
They admittedly do tend to get a bit more complicated as they evolve. The pre evolutions are normally the simplest looking ones.

Also, this fakemon is currently trending.

vertexwindi

Ohhh~ banana
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They admittedly do tend to get a bit more complicated as they evolve. The pre evolutions are normally the simplest looking ones.
Well somehow they managed to do it before just fine.

Look at this motherfucker with his busy linework on the shell. Actual detail without cluttering up the design while his final evolution still manages to top it in complexity. Starting from gen 2, the designs just get so overly cutesy, busy or both. Compare that weird water squirrel to the recently revealed ones:

Somehow, despite these starters being made on better hardware, they have less detail and texture than before. And I'm sure there are people who love the cute spherical designs but to me they scream cynical cashgrabs. I dunno, the gen 1 designs weren't all winners but at least they looked like animals.

Reactions: El Porko Fako

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well somehow they managed to do it before just fine.

Look at this motherfucker with his busy linework on the shell. Actual detail without cluttering up the design while his final evolution still manages to top it in complexity. Starting from gen 2, the designs just get so overly cutesy, busy or both. Compare that weird water squirrel to the recently revealed ones:

Somehow, despite these starters being made on better hardware, they have less detail and texture than before. And I'm sure there are people who love the cute spherical designs but to me they scream cynical cashgrabs. I dunno, the gen 1 designs weren't all winners but at least they looked like animals.
I feel like that’s more a curse of 2D art vs 3D models. And those were cutscene versions anyway.
Not that you don’t have a point, just that they do have a bit more detail to them in the 2D Art(like the change in color on the tips of Schorbunny’s ears and feet).

Polyboros2

Is dumb and lost Polyboros password
kiwifarms.net
People often hate on new starters, especially with out the context of their Evolutions. Gen 5 was there only time they were right though.

Holding my thumbs for a goblin Pokemon.
I'm wishing for a Spring Heel Jack.

All the thinking about Pokemon did spur me into getting Ultra Sun to catch up on the last mainline game I haven't played, I really enjoy S&M, and think the alternate universe where the villains won idea is cool, so we'll see how it goes. Planning on Nuzlocking it, I had a good time with Omega Ruby even though Gen 3 is my least favorite, and I'm thinking about using X, Omega Ruby, and Moon with the Pokemon Bank, to be able to quasi-randomize it too. (Catch them Nuzlocke style, then make a partial list of potentially Pokemon (appox same Evolution stage), and select with RNG, and breed/catch approximate level Mon) so I should say least get am interesting time out of that.

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
People often hate on new starters, especially with out the context of their Evolutions. Gen 5 was there only time they were right though.
You mean Gen 2, where all the starters were shitty and outclassed early in the game and the only reason people remember them at all is anime nostalgia. Gen 5 at least has one pokemon that's good mechanically (Contrary Serperior) and Emboar is a pretty solid design visually.

Reactions: Clockwork_PurBle

Polyboros2

Is dumb and lost Polyboros password
kiwifarms.net
You mean Gen 2, where all the starters were shitty and outclassed early in the game and the only reason people remember them at all is anime nostalgia. Gen 5 at least has one pokemon that's good mechanically (Contrary Serperior) and Emboar is a pretty solid design visually.
Totadile's solid (prefer over Mudkip who I random generated for my Nuzlocking), Cindequil is fine.

Chikorita's total shit though. I was really hoping for the second gen 7 game we'd get Alohan forms for the gen 2 starters (like 1 & 3 got Megas) that'd shift the starter triangle. Fire Totodile, Grass Cindequil, Water Chikorita's.

I still hate Gen 5. Edit: Starters, over all I like the design of gen 5.

Last edited:

SteelPlatedHeart

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Cyndaquil is my favorite starter, fight me.

I’ve honestly never really had a problem with any of the Gens. Sure, some Pokémon were kinda meh, but if I can like enough to have a full team plus a handful of spares just in case, I consider it a success.

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WELCOMING IN THE NEW YEAR
kiwifarms.net
Whether Typhlosion or Feraligatr is better for the main game depends if you're playing base Gen 2 or the Gen 4 remakes.

Not even being in Gen 4 saves Meganium from being kinda bad for a playthrough though.

kidsquid

pretty good, it doesn't seem
kiwifarms.net
I've gone for Water starters in every game except RSE (picked Torchic) and USUM (picked Rowlet but also picked Popplio). I don't even know which one I'm going for this time round.

Also Pikachu best starter. You can't change my mind.

Clockwork_PurBle

kiwifarms.net
My favorite starter would have to be Snivy/Servine/Serperior. I love my fleur de lis vine snake and how snobby it looks.

Looking back, most of my starters are unintentionally fire type. Only time I picked water was in Gen 4 and I picked Bulbasaur in Gen 1.

EDIT: Whom'st else want a knight horse Pokemon?

KiwiLedian

Making Poke and praying for a Mega
kiwifarms.net
From what I've seen, Galar looks interesting. It's certainly bigger than Alola but that's natural since it's based on Great Britain. I wonder if they'll reference the War of the Roses or the Hundred Years War. They have the two main combatant nations (England and France) so it's not like they can't.
I'd also like to see nods to Arthurian legend and based on the names, I assume that's a big focus.

Also, the rumors of armored pokemon make me hope they'll give Ledian a chance for once. Perfect pokemon for something like that, being based on Kamen Rider of all things.

BroccoliBrain

kiwifarms.net
From what I've seen, Galar looks interesting. It's certainly bigger than Alola but that's natural since it's based on Great Britain. I wonder if they'll reference the War of the Roses or the Hundred Years War. They have the two main combatant nations (England and France) so it's not like they can't.
I'd also like to see nods to Arthurian legend and based on the names, I assume that's a big focus.

Also, the rumors of armored pokemon make me hope they'll give Ledian a chance for once. Perfect pokemon for something like that, being based on Kamen Rider of all things.
Reminds me of that medieval war in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew which has sort of stuck with me as an interesting piece of lore (actual war? In non-modern times?) but that was apparently in Kanto.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino