Poor White Trash= Offensive Slur? -

Christory101

kiwifarms.net
Hi gang. I am just wondering what you think of the phrase "poor white trash". It basically I think is the same as hillbilly or redneck, just much meaner and with a harder edge. I also think it means a personality type and set of values, as opposed to merely a southern white rural poor person.

The reason I ask, is a about a year ago on a road trip with my family, My brother was listening to (bad) country music on the car radio. I told him to turn it down since it was "dumb white trash" music. My father really snarled at me after I said that, almost as if I had said "niggo"

My question is, was I really out of line saying it? Is it a terrible "racial" slur? I know it isn't good to use in polite company, but is it in and of itself a terrible word to use?

spaps

I'LL FUCK YOU OFF AT NO COST
kiwifarms.net
I don't think it's an awful phrase, and especially not a racial slur. Sure it's not a terribly nice phrase, but I don't think it's anywhere as bad as calling somebody a nigger. It's the same thing as calling somebody a redneck. Some people are just easily offended.

Cute Anime Girl

Anime Warrior
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's an ethnic slur but since it's against white people it doesn't matter and you're free to say it all you want. :roll:

Henry Bemis

just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Not a racial slur so much as a socioeconomic slur.

Now that physical differences are at least widely known as inappropriate targets, socioeconomic differences are really all that's left.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
[youtube]dlNyN8qNvgc[/youtube]

Louis CK did a great bit on White Trash.

Some JERK

I ain't drunk, I'm just drinkin'
kiwifarms.net
Christory101 said:
Hi gang. I am just wondering what you think of the phrase "poor white trash". It basically I think is the same as hillbilly or redneck, just much meaner and with a harder edge.
Just so you're aware, there are places on this earth where calling someone a "hillbilly" will get you in very serious trouble. The point is that using slurs of any kind (racial/economic/sexual preference etc...) is a bad habit to be in, because you never know who the person you're talking to may be, where they might be from, or what they might be capable of when insulted.

Maybe your dad was just trying to save you from a future ass-handing?

Edit: I know you said you realize that it wouldn't be good to say it in "polite" conversation, and that's good. My point here is that things you are in the habit of saying have a tendency to slip out at the worst possible time, so it's best to just not be in the habit of saying certain things at all.

Picklepower

This isnt even my final form
kiwifarms.net
Slur or not, I'd say its obviously not polite to call someone that. I don't buy the idea that white slurs, are as offensive to white people as other slurs would be to other races, I would know, as I'm white myself. I have never once heard anyone get outraged at the H word (honky) and I don't give a shit if anyone where to call me that. I think the whole "whites are being discriminated against" movement, is just one big, "No You!!" and I cannot take it seriously, even as a white person. I've never once seen white people sent to the back of the bus. (I'm mixed but most would see me as white) There was never a system of oppression against white men in this country, white people are not in the same position the blacks were in say, the 60's. People that talk about how, "In this country, I tell ya us whites are the ones facing discrimination!!" seem like the same people that fear the dreaded, Hip Hop music, and probably ain't to happy with how many ethnics are on Tv now!

Dr.Research

Dissertation Topic: Lolcows
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think white trash is more offensive than redneck only because redneck is a bit more... commonplace? Accepted? I dunno. When I hear redneck I don't necessarily hear slur, maybe just a description. I once went to high school with a guy from Kentucky (I think) and he introduced himself as a redneck. White trash, to me, sounds harder.

Overall it's just another not nice thing to call someone.

Christory101

kiwifarms.net
This makes sense guys thanks. I think my dad thought it was bad to say, since it made fun of or demeaned poor whites who didn't have the opprotunity of a good education or manners or whatever.

I know Snorlax has been called poor white trash on this forum. My father would likely object to that, since she didn't have the benefit of good parents who taught her manners and right from wrong, as well as not the benefit of a good education of modern sensibilities?

Idk. The term is almost funny in a way. It seems more of an attitude as opposed to any economic or cultural state really. I would never just throw the term around, I guess at the time I was surprised how offensive my dad thought it was. It kinda makes sense now that I think about it. Thanks a million!

Edit: Personally, I think "Here comes Honey Boo-Boo" is basically a White Trash minstrel show

Oglooger

One of few based™ oldfags
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
>it's a racial slur against a race
>it's used by another race to degrade the white race

Yeah, I'd consider it racist, but because of social standards, people won't think it's as offensive as the N-word or [insert racial slur here].

now is it offensive? well, only if you choose to find it offensive.

GGGBYBYBY

kiwifarms.net
It's not very nice to say the least.
Is it a slur though? Well it is against somebody who is poor.
I disagree that it's a racial slur though.

Pikonic

Don’t worry about the mask I’m vaccinated
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Henry Bemis said:
Not a racial slur so much as a socioeconomic slur.

Now that physical differences are at least widely known as inappropriate targets, socioeconomic differences are really all that's left.
This.
What makes it racial? White? That box we check under race? The thing we call ourselves because were too lazy to write Caucasian or European-American? No, it's not racial.
I think what makes the socio-economic bash "ok" is the mentality that you chose to be poor. You chose not to work hard and whatever.
Here's a thought, don't call anybody trash.

Kamen Rider Black RX

Winner: Cole Smithey Award for Valued Opinion
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know what makes me laugh? How country music took back the words "redneck" and "hillbilly" and made them pride words.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kamen Rider Black RX said:
You know what makes me laugh? How country music took back the words "redneck" and "hillbilly" and made them pride words.
[youtube]Uzae_SqbmDE[/youtube]

B

BT 075

kiwifarms.net
The word "white" in it, makes it a racial slur. It is not about poverty - it is, first and foremost, a term used against a single race of people. How could it be anything but a racial slur? I'm personally not too fond of the term. You can point out someone is poor or uneducated without having to mention race, right? There's trashy people of all backgrounds and ethnicities. Whether they be of the trailer park kind or the ghetto variety.

Oglooger

One of few based™ oldfags
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kamen Rider Black RX said:
Like the words Yankee.
on the topic of that, I used to call myself a "spic" as a compliment until someone told me that it was a racial slur of my race and I was suppossed to be offended by it.
I thought the word was complementing our spicy food.