Portland, Oregon -

The Hunter

Border Hopping Taco Bender
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
You may want to ask Strato. He currently resides there.

I have a very high opinion of the north west. It's a beautiful place. Trees everywhere, everyone's nice, no silly cowboy accents, it sounds like paradise.

Niachu

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Null said:
I may be moving there. Any thoughts?
I don't live in Oregon, but I live in the northwest :) I say go for it. It's not your type of place if you like a lot of sun and warm weather, but the air is clean and it's pretty safe and laid back.

KawaiiChrisChan

kiwifarms.net
Null said:
I may be moving there. Any thoughts?
If you get there, be sure to visit Sea Side. Its about an hour (hour and a half, maybe) drive from Portland. Its a small town on the coast with a grand beach with tons of sand dollars. Also visit Astoria, (Thats where The Goonies was filmed I think...) and cross the bridge into Washington, follow the 101 to Liwaco, and look for signs for Cape Disappointment Light House. Its a grand old light house on a rock overlooking the sea. You have to do a light hike to get to it. But its worth the trouble. :biggrin:

Stratochu

\
kiwifarms.net
Portland/metro area, Salem, Corvallis, Eugene, Medford, any city on the coast, and Ashland are the only places worth living IMHO. Eastern Oregon is full of tumbleweeds, Mormons and teabaggers. Good food in Eugene (I'm near the university, so tons of good places to eat and drink, and sleazy fun times along with great antique stores just over the bridge into Springfield), it's even better in Portland, and a lot of Portland stuff is coming to downtown Eugene. Beware of earthquakes, however, and it rains about 9 months a here.

Eugene recommendations:
For dining out, Rennie's Landing, Beppe & Gianni's, Ox & Fin, Chapala Mexican Restaurant, Louie's Village, House of Chen, Yi Shen Market & Restaurant (if you're into Vietnamese food or takeaway Asian groceries) and McGrath's Fish House, for entertainment, the new Regal Cinemas IMAX theater at Valley River Center, Lord Leebrick Theatre, Bijou Theatre, David Minor Theatre & Pub, The Hult Center and Actors Cabaret of Eugene. Hendricks Park, Alton Baker Park, Skinner's Butte Park and the Ridgeline Trail are all awesome in the summertime.

Public transit is OK but best avoided, cops are as bad as Charlottesville is supposed to be (got pulled over and verbally abused numerous times when driving the van), and the mountains and coast are not far away. Eugene is IMHO better than Portland, because there are fewer crime problems, but be aware that it's the autism capital of the state.

Fibonacci

Koning der Pijpbeurt
kiwifarms.net
I grew up in Oregon City near Portland. Oregon is absolutely beautiful: overcast skies all day, every day; and you can always expect a very good chance of pouring rain and wicked awesome lightning storms. As Strat said about all of the antique shops and other stuff, Oregon is a great place to live when you want to spend a nice lazy weekend out driving around looking at neat curiosities and eating awesome food.

My dad used to take me out on Sunday morning drives to these really awesome hobby shops and such and we'd stop along the way for donuts and grab some fish on the way home. All the time NPR blaring Car Talk, What Do You Know, Wait-Wait Don't Tell Me and other stuff the whole time. Fond memories...

GFYS

Heel
kiwifarms.net
Numerous times, I have enjoyed spending time in Downtown Portland, Beaverton, and Tigard for broad variety of cuisine, lots of art galleries, museums, state parks, and excellent public transportation. The roads are pretty well maintained, with only a few traffic snarls here and there. I found myself wishing it were a little more racially diverse, but I never felt overwhelmed by the homogeneity since racial intolerance was limited. I have a number of friends living there, due to broad tolerance to homosexual and transsexual people. The only aspect I didn't enjoy was the prevailing sense of entitlement and lack of work ethic among younger adults (18 ~ 30), but it was easy enough to ignore as long as I stayed away from hipster hangouts. I think many of the shops and restaurants have high enough standards to not hire them, so their customer service hasn't suffered as much as places like Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit or D.C. The weather is a little on the gloomy side, year round, but not as much as Seattle. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Their unreasonable water rights laws is one of the biggest factors keeping me from moving there, but that's a problem which is fairly unique to me and my ventures. I would recommend these areas to someone interested in hipster culture, art, music, food, or want to live somewhere that doesn't necessarily require a car without insane population density.

introman

Great Value™ Portable Pizza Pocket
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
DykesDykesChina said:
Make sure to study the theory of Revolutionary Queermunism before you go, it'll probably soon become the official political ideology of Portland!

A lot of the wacky online trannies I know think of Portland as mecca for their sub group. Besides that, I would still move to portland over new jersey any day of the week. Oregon is sort of a libertarian type state compared to the red states in the south and the blue in the north east. You will have concealed carry permits that you can get online and tons of cheap weed. You will have the raw food freaks and the teaparty crew living in the same block. Really, the only thing I didn't like about portland when I visited was the hipsters and rampant heroin use.

If you have a good job and/or good opportunity to move there and you don't live in paradise. Try it out.

Uzumaki

Black Iron General of the Evil Army Shadow Line
kiwifarms.net
Really, the only thing I didn't like about portland when I visited was the hipsters and rampant heroin use.
It's so fashionable to hate hipsters for no reason. You might go so far as to call it "hip". A bunch of young people wearing scarves and the same hat just ruins your day doesn't it?

Null

Cassandra on the Online
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I don't care about hipsters. I work at a Starbucks when I have stuff to do. Hipster chicks are cute.

I live in the panhandle of Florida so the median age here is well over 40. Being around anyone my age would be a nice change.

introman

Great Value™ Portable Pizza Pocket
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Uzumaki said:
Really, the only thing I didn't like about portland when I visited was the hipsters and rampant heroin use.
It's so fashionable to hate hipsters for no reason. You might go so far as to call it "hip". A bunch of young people wearing scarves and the same hat just ruins your day doesn't it?
That's kind of presumptuous to say that I hate hipsters for no reason. I'm just not a fan of a subculture that talks about being unique and contrarian, while having some of the most vain vapid boring people in it's existence.

Null

Cassandra on the Online
kiwifarms.net
introman said:
I'm just not a fan of a subculture that talks about being unique and contrarian, while having some of the most vain vapid boring people in it's existence.
What, like everyone? Nobody is unique, we all fall into trends and subcultures. It's a part of being human. Some kids wearing stupid and wildly inappropriate clothing trying to be different from their previous generation is not a new phenomena.

Niachu

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I like to giggle at the hipsters around here. The other day I was at a frozen yogurt shop hearing them talk about how the hash tag was too mainstream.

Tags
None