Portland, Oregon -

The Hunter

Border Hopping Taco Bender
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Null said:
I live in the panhandle of Florida so the median age here is well over 40. Being around anyone my age would be a nice change.
Heh, I forgot Florida is the land of old people. :p

We have a fair amount of hipsters here, but thankfully, nobody moves here to be a hipster. They're all locals who desperately want to leave (at least the ones I've met, anyways). A lot of people think my brother qualifies as a hipster, but after knowing the guy for 18 years, I'm certain that he's not one (a weeaboo, maybe, but not a hipster).

big baby jesus

deep, deep, deep in the mind
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
GFYS said:
I found myself wishing it were a little more racially diverse, but I never felt overwhelmed by the homogeneity since racial intolerance was limited
Why should that matter at all anyway? People should be more colorblind I think.

Niachu

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The northwest is generally one of the safer places to live in terms of natural disasters. I've only ever experienced a few earthquakes myself. Though I live around the Puget Sound and not in continental Washington, where weather can vary much more.

Not to go on about just Washington though, since people are always talking about "The Big One" that'll hit the northwest. The Cascadia Subduction Zone builds up energy for centuries and releases it all at once in a giant earthquake. In the wake of the Tohoku disaster I'd say people are getting more conscientious about disaster preparedness. The scare about tsunamis and radiation hit hard here, with our waters connected to Japan's and all that. Nothing came of it, of course. Though I did take a backpacking trip to the Olympic Peninsula and found some stuff that washed in from Japan, but that's neither here nor there...

The subduction zone runs along major cities like Seattle, Vancouver and yes, Portland. But Seattle and Portland are inland so an upside is we'd likely be protected from any tsunamis from the Pacific Ocean itself.

I dunno how the architecture in Portland fares, but if it's anything like the kind in Seattle then the seismic codes aren't too good. If the megathrust earthquake is in the 9.0 range as expected then buildings definitely wouldn't hold up.

Disaster preparedness is important no matter where you live, but I thought I let'd you know at least a few things to expect in the northwest.

KawaiiChrisChan

kiwifarms.net
Niachu said:
The northwest is generally one of the safer places to live in terms of natural disasters. I've only ever experienced a few earthquakes myself. Though I live around the Puget Sound and not in continental Washington, where weather can vary much more.

Not to go on about just Washington though, since people are always talking about "The Big One" that'll hit the northwest. The Cascadia Subduction Zone builds up energy for centuries and releases it all at once in a giant earthquake. In the wake of the Tohoku disaster I'd say people are getting more conscientious about disaster preparedness. The scare about tsunamis and radiation hit hard here, with our waters connected to Japan's and all that. Nothing came of it, of course. Though I did take a backpacking trip to the Olympic Peninsula and found some stuff that washed in from Japan, but that's neither here nor there...

The subduction zone runs along major cities like Seattle, Vancouver and yes, Portland. But Seattle and Portland are inland so an upside is we'd likely be protected from any tsunamis from the Pacific Ocean itself.

I dunno how the architecture in Portland fares, but if it's anything like the kind in Seattle then the seismic codes aren't too good. If the megathrust earthquake is in the 9.0 range as expected then buildings definitely wouldn't hold up.

Disaster preparedness is important no matter where you live, but I thought I let'd you know at least a few things to expect in the northwest.
But the beaches are nice... :biggrin:

Ecola Park is a really nice place to visit.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I don't care about hipsters. I work at a Starbucks when I have stuff to do. Hipster chicks are cute.
Imagine the alternate universe where Josh moved to Portland and ended up with some horrible hipster chick that had a vicegrip on his balls and convinced him to become a vegan or some shit

Null

Cassandra on the Online
kiwifarms.net
Imagine the alternate universe where Josh moved to Portland and ended up with some horrible hipster chick that had a vicegrip on his balls and convinced him to become a vegan or some shit
I moved to Portland and lived there a year when I was 20, soon after this thread. I asked a cute goff girl out and she turned me down saying she had anxiety or some shit. I ended up moving to Australia after.

Tags
None