Post smarmy assholes you find when searching for tech questions -

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Something irritating I've noticed is that when I search for tech-related questions, it's far, far too common to find some autistic maladroit who has to flex their ego and shit on the guy asking the question. Far too often, they don't even answer the original question or offer a reasonable solution.

This thread's going to be our dumping ground to call out these smug faggots for their inane responses. I'll start with what I just came across: I'm just searching for info about how to increase my USB polling rate for a DIY MAME thing, and who do I get to meet? None other than this guy:

Raghvendra1977 wrote:
>
>I am looking for some way to update "usbport.sys" file for achieving 1000Hz
>usb polling rate.

USB already "polls" much faster than that. The issue that is being
addressed by these patched versions of usbport.sys is strictly related to
latency in accessing USB HID keyboards and mice. If you are not
SPECIFICALLY concerned with HID devices, then you are wasting your time.

As always, if you would describe the PROBLEM you are trying to solve,
instead of taking random stabs at supposed solutions, some of us can offer
you practical suggestions at a REAL solution.
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tim Roberts, DDK MVP
timroberts.JPG

Wow, fuck you, Tim Roberts. The poster above just asked for where to download a thing, it's none of your business what he does with it. If you're in-the-know enough about USB polling rates, you got there because you have a problem where that seemed to be a good solution. USB polling rates are only usually brought up in terms of fast-paced gaming, where inputs need to have the least amount of latency possible, so I think it's safe to assume that that's what's being asked about.

And then another guy posts with specifics about - surprise surprise - his joystick for playing fighting games, like Tim asked for, and Tim's nowhere to be found. Get fucked, Tim. And lose some weight, fatso.

Last edited:

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
The Ubuntu Apple Hardware forum is full of these smugfags and I suspect it's because they don't know what they're talking about since the last time they used Ubuntu on an iMac was when Hardy Heron was a thing.
I don't know what its like now but a few years ago this was endemic across the linux community.

If you had any kind of technical question you would just be met with scorn and some smug prick telling you to read the documentation or learn to use the terminal or whatever.

Hilarious that the developer were trying to attract new users but the core user base were doing their best to do the opposite and acting like a bunch of gatekeeping faggots.

Just Google linux community and top results will inevitably be a bunch of articles and forum posts about people encountering unhelpful smug fucks.

Mein Garten

Mad Cat - Purry road
kiwifarms.net
r/buildapc is full of these. God forbid someone wants to have "old tech" on their PC like Blue-ray players or wants to use all of their fan slots on their case. If someone is adding a CD/DVD player in this day in age there is likely a reason for it and they don't want to hear about your opinions on CDs being obsolete.

My favourite are the guys that bitch about intel vs amd. You can almost taste the Cheeto dust from their fat smug fingers. Most people just want to know what's going to give them the best bang for their buck.

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
I don't know what its like now but a few years ago this was endemic across the linux community.

If you had any kind of technical question you would just be met with scorn and some smug prick telling you to read the documentation or learn to use the terminal or whatever.

Hilarious that the developer were trying to attract new users but the core user base were doing their best to do the opposite and acting like a bunch of gatekeeping faggots.

Just Google linux community and top results will inevitably be a bunch of articles and forum posts about people encountering unhelpful smug fucks.
I came into 2 Apple iMacs and a G5 Power Mac. For the one intel iMac I have no one cared to update the Ubuntu documentation for the current LTS releases. I have to search Google and usually find a blog from some guy venting his frustration and he posts the eventual work around to get wi-fi or iSight working. The last time in my experience Ubuntu worked on an Apple computer with minimal tinkering was Lucid Lynx. The Apple Hardware forum is dead because no one gets any help there. I'm going to install Debian or Gentoo since Ubuntu is dropping Power PC support anyway.

meme mule

seventh singularity entity
kiwifarms.net
God forbid someone wants to have "old tech" on their PC like Blue-ray players
buying a $20 DVD writer and shoving it in a spare bay 7 years ago is an egregious personal attack to half of the userbase on most tech forums in 2020
it's always better to just spare yourself the heat and tell them you fucked their sister or something instead

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
r/buildapc is full of these. God forbid someone wants to have "old tech" on their PC like Blue-ray players or wants to use all of their fan slots on their case. If someone is adding a CD/DVD player in this day in age there is likely a reason for it and they don't want to hear about your opinions on CDs being obsolete.
I've done similar Google searches on whether it's even possible to install a CD player in a Tesla, which don't even seem to have AUX inputs, and seen more or less the identical kind of replies.

buying a $20 DVD writer and shoving it in a spare bay 7 years ago is an egregious personal attack to half of the userbase on most tech forums in 2020
What part of "I have tens of thousands of photos and other files I've burned to DVD-ROM and would still like to look at them" does the userbase on tech forums not understand? I also still enjoy watching DVDs on my laptop and have a number of games on CD and DVD-Rom (though several of them don't work on any Windows past XP).

Last edited:

Just Some Other Guy

kiwifarms.net

My favourite are the guys that bitch about intel vs amd. You can almost taste the Cheeto dust from their fat smug fingers. Most people just want to know what's going to give them the best bang for their buck.
Add [H]ardOCP to that list. Some pretty useful information there in general, but not always.

Just read this thread:

Would do some screencaps, but I'm on mobile atm

• Informative
Reactions: Yotsubaaa and Stasi

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net

Mostly it's replies saying "RTFM". Because Linux is FOSS it's the duty of the person asking for help to have already read the manual, read related posts on the forums, and googled as far as possible. When people ask a question that is easily searchable, they will get hostile answers. However, there are some complete dicks who seem to thrive on just griefing newbs. Those are the types of people to whom, I assume, you are referring.

I tend to be a bit more generous with technical questions as I want the person asking to find a solution. And if the person is a total newb, I'll point them to where they can research.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
Just read this thread:
Literally says in the title its a project build and these dummies still insist on the inane questions. People being smug and self important I can at least understand in a way but when someone specifically says "I want to do X" and people come at them with the "why tho" posts I'm left scratching my head.

Mostly it's replies saying "RTFM". Because Linux is FOSS it's the duty of the person asking for help to have already read the manual, read related posts on the forums, and googled as far as possible. When people ask a question that is easily searchable, they will get hostile answers. However, there are some complete dicks who seem to thrive on just griefing newbs. Those are the types of people to whom, I assume, you are referring.

I tend to be a bit more generous with technical questions as I want the person asking to find a solution. And if the person is a total newb, I'll point them to where they can research.
Yeh, total newbs asking stupid questions are annoying and the blunt replies are justified. But then you'd get the people who would give others shit for not knowing that their obscure problem is fixed by editing a random line in a config which is unrelated to the package they are asking about or whatever.

Maybe its more welcoming now. Luckily I've not had to venture on a linux forum in years. I have simple needs when it comes to computing and when I want to tinker with something places like the Arch Wiki or youtube videos have been pretty helpful.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
I suddenly stopped having any sound in the guest when upgrading VMware on Ubuntu and Mint. Googling a solution to that yielded lots of unhelpful answers from snarky Linux users. One response that I remember was "why do you need sound?".
There was also lots of locked threads because the question had been asked before and was considered solved, and then a link to a documentation article on VMWare's site outlining how to set up sound. That doesn't work, for reasons the screenshots will explain.

This is the most common response that I saw with that exact same link.
vmware1.JPG

vmware2.JPG

It goes to this.
vmware3.JPG

Current version at the time the guy asked the question.
vmware4.JPG

Roughly the date of release of the version(3.2) the support page refers to.
vmware5.JPG

There's a lot to like about Linux but the userbase isn't great.

meme mule

seventh singularity entity
kiwifarms.net
What part of "I have tens of thousands of photos and other files I've burned to DVD-ROM and would still like to look at them" does the userbase on tech forums not understand? I also still enjoy watching DVDs on my laptop and have a number of games on CD and DVD-Rom (though several of them don't work on any Windows past XP).
that's nice sweaty but sentiment is for grandparents, you can download the latest video games from Steam now and basically you are an aberration of God, report to your nearest Amazon Fulfillment Center and consume approved storage mediums immediately or I will write an angry tweet to Linus Tech Tips

it is likely to me that there is a strong overlap between these kinds of people and "I built a gaming PC all by myself once and I am now a computer engineer" exceptionals, their final stage of evolution being the smug freetard

cowPoly

“Learn by reeeing“
kiwifarms.net
I've never witnessed as many nerds able to climb ankle deep into their own rectums outside of stackexchange.
“We created reddit, reddit doesn’t exist without us.”
>huffs fart
“you asked a question without googling the shit out of it and trying every possible solution first! How dare you!! Downvote! Reeeeeeeeeee!!!!”

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
StackExchange/StackOverflow can be quite colorful. It's really jarring to look in the C# SO and see a bunch of super insightful and helpful answers and then go to the JS SO and see every single question, no matter what it is, responded with "use jquery".
Well, that basically makes sense. C# just works, since .Net 4.0 anyway, wheras noone rational wants to use Javascript without layering actual useful tools on top.

Can we post kiwi farms users?
Are you suggesting that when someone says 'X Windows has not been that stable for me' (which, admittedly, is like saying 'I am a weirdo/GNOME user') that 'don't use a display manager, just login at the terminal and startx' or 'use XVfb to seperate your graphical software from your graphics driver and lose any hardware acceleration for graphics' are not helpful responses?

Tags
None