Post smarmy assholes you find when searching for tech questions -

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
r/buildapc is full of these. God forbid someone wants to have "old tech" on their PC like Blue-ray players or wants to use all of their fan slots on their case. If someone is adding a CD/DVD player in this day in age there is likely a reason for it and they don't want to hear about your opinions on CDs being obsolete.
I kept a Blu-ray drive in my desktop just to fill the slot, but its come in handy throughout the years. Why bother with an external when an internal takes up no space and is always ready to go? Plus, keeping backups on discs was always the way to go, you don't wind up in all-your-eggs-in-one-basket scenarios, like if your 2TB HDD just decides to croak one day. It's much more likely that you'll be able to salvage data off of a rotting DVD-R than a dead HDD.

I really wish that the Holographic Versatile Disc came to market, we'd have 200gb discs to use, rather than dodgy USB drives. Cloud storage can go fuck itself.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, that basically makes sense. C# just works, since .Net 4.0 anyway, wheras noone rational wants to use Javascript without layering actual useful tools on top.
Eh, I like to use/embed JS as a simple scripting language. It's not perfect but it's recognizable and easy to learn, and I have less criticisms of it than I do Lua. I often like putting Jint in my C# stuff.

Are you suggesting that when someone says 'X Windows has not been that stable for me' (which, admittedly, is like saying 'I am a weirdo/GNOME user') that 'don't use a display manager, just login at the terminal and startx' or 'use XVfb to seperate your graphical software from your graphics driver and lose any hardware acceleration for graphics' are not helpful responses?
To clarify, I said twice that Xorg crashed because the graphics driver crashed, it had nothing to do with Xorg, I simply complained that everything for Xorg just kills itself when X dies which annoys the shit out of me. I thought those were helpful responses, especially the latter one, I just don't care about using them.

Reactions: 3119967d0c

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To clarify, I said twice that Xorg crashed because the graphics driver crashed, it had nothing to do with Xorg, I simply complained that everything for Xorg just kills itself when X dies which annoys the shit out of me. I thought those were helpful responses, especially the latter one, I just don't care about using them.
Fair, fair.

For what it's worth, I don't think using xinit/startx isn't going to save you.. I don't believe I've ever had any issues caused by a display manager, and I've used Gnome for a while (even used GDM to serve an X session to a remote PC over the network). If I'd recommend anything it would just be going to using integrated Intel graphics. Rock. Solid.

• Agree
Reactions: The Fool

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Looking into maxing out my desktop with whatever ended up being the highest-end CPU I can use, and half this thread is a confused guy who had his post deleted, asked for an explanation, and got a curt reply from a mod throwing a fit because he dared to say FUCK:

When someone answers your question dropping an f bomb about how you're unhappy about it is not how you answer it. As mentioned this place is for all ages. Don't do it again.
Ooh, in bold too, to really assert dominance on the ever-important Tom's Hardware forums. Fuck off, Tom's Hardware user "Rogue Leader". Go coom on your fuckin' star wars funko pops or some shit. Also you faggots didn't really give a defining answer and I still don't know if it's worth it to max out my CPU or even upgrade from my i5-6500 CPU. I just wanna edit and render 4k video and not have it take a dickyear.

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
Every all ages forum I've used had a filter of some sort. Always saw it as tyranny. Now I know it's so mods don't shit up the thread. Is it so hard to just PM the guy?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Robert Sanvagene

SIGSEGV

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"How do I do X"
"Nobody does X, do Y instead"
The people who do this deserve to burn in the deepest pits of Hell. At least show the OP how to do X, tell him why X is bad, and then show him how to do Y and why that's better. But nope, it's almost always just "don't do X, do Y instead and don't expect me to explain myself" because they're just parroting what they've been told without understanding the reasoning behind it.

wokelizard

kiwifarms.net
I *HATE* people who when you ask a question with sufficient detail to answer it, try to guess what you're attempting to achieve and then suggest alternatives. Like.. fuck sake shut up, I know *exactly* what I want to do and if I'm asking a question it means something on the path to achieving that is broken/unclear. Also upstream developers who WONTFIX simple fixes/changes because they got a bug up their ass about the ONE TRUE WAY their app should work even if you give them a patch.

Terror Rism

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i've brought it up before, but the one that makes me angriest and is the most prevalent example i've seen for a fucking decade

HRVsT.png

this fucking dialogue. this appears on top of any and all application windows (fullscreen or otherwise) if you're running low on GPU memory, which can happen a lot when you're using your GPU as it's designed in high-stress scenarios like 3d rendering or high end games. windows does not ask this to prevent any crashes or issues, it does this to prevent the desktop window manager from lagging while you're in your exclusive fullscreen application, or doing something that will lock up your entire computer processing by design. very selfish, but it's windows and i'm used to that.

the problem is that nice, hopeful third option? has not functioned since vista was released and the current dwm.exe was designed. you can tell it to never remind you again all you like, it's coming back at random the second you fly too close to the GPU memory sun. you could disable desktop compositions beforehand, but windows likes to have a massive seizure when you do and is sometimes more detrimental than just keeping it on in the first place and taking the potential 2% performance hit. potentially annoying, but i'm sure with some help from the windows experts that have been registry/hex editing the system for years, there will be a great solution that might be out of the average user's ability!

r-right?
haha no once you get past all of the "here's how you disable windows aero, you retard that clearly just got scared by an error message!" garbage you get nothing but smug fat nintendo-switch-bought-by-GF's-boyfriend bearded fucks saying shit like this:
waterfox_2020-06-18_07-27-45.png

(his solution was "let it turn off windows aero" btw, real helpful)
that's right, trying to address a long-standing bug where a button does not function as it states it does, in a popup that can force them out of exclusive fullscreen and potentially crash your programs is you assuming you're smarter than big daddy windows and just want to lie to yourself about your computer. i bet when your battery says 66% remaining you probably flip your phone upside down to make it say %99, retard. stop trying to use your computer the way you designed it to work, moron. windows "experts" think less of humanity than any other group of tech person out there, i swear to god.

the saddest part is that i actually did find a hex edited system file that fixed this issue. for a day. none of my other system files updated and it never worked again, still don't know what happened there.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
Resident Evil 2 Remake had this awful bug on Nvidia cards where the lights dim and leave the player in total darkness. It's been patched recently, but it was a pervasive bug that people wanted to get fixed.

So on the Nvidia forums, one user asked if there was any way to play the game normally on drivers above 399 (which at the time was the latest driver you could play it on before the game glitched out). One asshole wrote this.

re2 nvidia.png

Part of me thinks he might've confused the remake for the original because RE2make isn't even old, but even so he comes off as a huge prick for yelling at some poor soul who just wants a game that's incompatible with current drivers to work.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
Stumbled on some forum thread of a guy asking about good gaming laptops to buy while I was googling some crap about my MSI machine.

Guy: please suggest good laptop that can play games for X budget.
Tard: lol you are just wasting money just build a PC
Guy: Yes I know that's cheaper but I live on a sailboat at the moment and have no space and also need something with low power consumptions.
Tard: No, PC doesn't take that much space, just get a small desk and chair, laptops are a waste of money.

I shit you not this is a real thing a human wrote. Just buy a desk bro and put it in your boat that doesn't have space for it bro. Wish I saved a link to the thread.

Kenobi

kiwifarms.net
Try finding a workaround for Microsoft's latest ghastly UI change in Office and you'll get an army of smugs telling you the UI was designed by people much smarter than you, and you obviously must be a dinosaur with an irrational hatred of all change.
Why do they do that? At my workplace i have had to "fix" computers for the boomers with the latest Microsft edge update. I don´t understand why they would move shit around when your userbase is exclusively 50+.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
i've brought it up before, but the one that makes me angriest and is the most prevalent example i've seen for a fucking decade

View attachment 1386325
this fucking dialogue. this appears on top of any and all application windows (fullscreen or otherwise) if you're running low on GPU memory, which can happen a lot when you're using your GPU as it's designed in high-stress scenarios like 3d rendering or high end games. windows does not ask this to prevent any crashes or issues, it does this to prevent the desktop window manager from lagging while you're in your exclusive fullscreen application, or doing something that will lock up your entire computer processing by design. very selfish, but it's windows and i'm used to that.

the problem is that nice, hopeful third option? has not functioned since vista was released and the current dwm.exe was designed. you can tell it to never remind you again all you like, it's coming back at random the second you fly too close to the GPU memory sun. you could disable desktop compositions beforehand, but windows likes to have a massive seizure when you do and is sometimes more detrimental than just keeping it on in the first place and taking the potential 2% performance hit. potentially annoying, but i'm sure with some help from the windows experts that have been registry/hex editing the system for years, there will be a great solution that might be out of the average user's ability!

r-right?
haha no once you get past all of the "here's how you disable windows aero, you retard that clearly just got scared by an error message!" garbage you get nothing but smug fat nintendo-switch-bought-by-GF's-boyfriend bearded fucks saying shit like this:
View attachment 1386297
(his solution was "let it turn off windows aero" btw, real helpful)
that's right, trying to address a long-standing bug where a button does not function as it states it does, in a popup that can force them out of exclusive fullscreen and potentially crash your programs is you assuming you're smarter than big daddy windows and just want to lie to yourself about your computer. i bet when your battery says 66% remaining you probably flip your phone upside down to make it say %99, retard. stop trying to use your computer the way you designed it to work, moron. windows "experts" think less of humanity than any other group of tech person out there, i swear to god.

the saddest part is that i actually did find a hex edited system file that fixed this issue. for a day. none of my other system files updated and it never worked again, still don't know what happened there.
That's weird, I haven't seen that dialogue since Vista probably, going beyond available VRAM things should page in and out (slowly) on its own, unless RAM is full as well. Do you use a pagefile?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: SIGSEGV

Terror Rism

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's weird, I haven't seen that dialogue since Vista probably, going beyond available VRAM things should page in and out (slowly) on its own, unless RAM is full as well. Do you use a pagefile?
yeah my pagefile's normal decent size, i just do a lot of 3d rendering. that vram's getting used the whole time or so help me god i'm just biting the bullet and going for a distributed rendering service to not have a project take a full week to render, and don't need windows mocking me that i didn't pay for the service in the first place

• Feels
Reactions: SIGSEGV

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
yeah my pagefile's normal decent size, i just do a lot of 3d rendering. that vram's getting used the whole time or so help me god i'm just biting the bullet and going for a distributed rendering service to not have a project take a full week to render, and don't need windows mocking me that i didn't pay for the service in the first place
Try Linux :smug: no, seriously, Windows have a recent history of being a tard with VRAM even on non-display cards used for compute. The thread is a couple of years old and there are more recent ones, but this one has some information about how programs compiled for Win8.1 clashes with Win10 in vram allocation.

Basil II

My vision is augmented
kiwifarms.net
Looking into maxing out my desktop with whatever ended up being the highest-end CPU I can use, and half this thread is a confused guy who had his post deleted, asked for an explanation, and got a curt reply from a mod throwing a fit because he dared to say FUCK:

Ooh, in bold too, to really assert dominance on the ever-important Tom's Hardware forums. Fuck off, Tom's Hardware user "Rogue Leader". Go coom on your fuckin' star wars funko pops or some shit. Also you faggots didn't really give a defining answer and I still don't know if it's worth it to max out my CPU or even upgrade from my i5-6500 CPU. I just wanna edit and render 4k video and not have it take a dickyear.
>using tomshardware

Tags
None