"Post your Art" Thread -

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
an illustration I was playing around with for the longest time and finally decided to sit down to finish recently
View attachment 730854
This is great work! The tight clusters of colored shapes contrast with the simpler faces & imply great technological complexity that the characters take for granted (because they live in it, if that makes sense). I really love those costumes. Those pants and its shapes/colors are eye candy to me.
The little touches like the photographs and monitor readouts link me to good stuff like Ridley Scott & you've put a soft edge on machinery without minimizing their visual weight.
This is like a nice panel in a good issue of Heavy Metal from the 90's.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
This is great work! The tight clusters of colored shapes contrast with the simpler faces & imply great technological complexity that the characters take for granted (because they live in it, if that makes sense). I really love those costumes. Those pants and its shapes/colors are eye candy to me.
The little touches like the photographs and monitor readouts link me to good stuff like Ridley Scott & you've put a soft edge on machinery without minimizing their visual weight.
This is like a nice panel in a good issue of Heavy Metal from the 90's.
Thanks! That's exactly the visual effect and aesthetic that I was trying to produce. It's not a very original visual style at all, but I thought I would try my hand at it.

And you exactly pinpoint the visual inspiration. A lot of inspiration from Ridley Scott's Alien and from the art of Jean Giraud/Moebius (who did concept art for Alien and drew a lot of the classic 1970s-1980s Franco-Belgian sci-fi comics that was the seminal influence for the Heavy Metal magazine)

The clothing fashion is the result of some rather lengthy iterative design on my part, though suffice to say it also heavily influenced by the aforementioned aesthetic style of the 1970s-1980s sci-fi comics. The bulky pants are actually the defining characteristic of the fashion style, inspired by a mix of modern day cosmonaut suits and the fancy breeches of the 17th century.

Giraud/Moebius and some of the other great Franco-Belgian sci-fi illustrators frequently did this neat thing where they use immense tracts of negative space to great effect in highlighting the visually dense, line-heavy parts of the scene, but I kind of made a muddle of it and the line density is not effectively concentrated like how the experts do it. But yeah, i tried to use it to make the faces and figures stand out from the visually complex interior of the scene, and then again to make the sparse background exterior stand out from the interior.

• Agree
Reactions: Recoil

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thanks! That's exactly the visual effect and aesthetic that I was trying to produce. It's not a very original visual style at all, but I thought I would try my hand at it.

And you exactly pinpoint the visual inspiration. A lot of inspiration from Ridley Scott's Alien and from the art of Jean Giraud/Moebius (who did concept art for Alien and drew a lot of the classic 1970s-1980s Franco-Belgian sci-fi comics that was the seminal influence for the Heavy Metal magazine)

The clothing fashion is the result of some rather lengthy iterative design on my part, though suffice to say it also heavily influenced by the aforementioned aesthetic style of the 1970s-1980s sci-fi comics. The bulky pants are actually the defining characteristic of the fashion style, inspired by a mix of modern day cosmonaut suits and the fancy breeches of the 17th century.

Giraud/Moebius and some of the other great Franco-Belgian sci-fi illustrators frequently did this neat thing where they use immense tracts of negative space to great effect in highlighting the visually dense, line-heavy parts of the scene, but I kind of made a muddle of it and the line density is not effectively concentrated like how the experts do it. But yeah, i tried to use it to make the faces and figures stand out from the visually complex interior of the scene, and then again to make the sparse background exterior stand out from the interior.
Giraud, that's the guy!
There's a lot of interesting fashion that you might want to look at, seeing as how those pants are central. Are you into weird designers & stuff at all? I'm a techwear/weird clothing nut and there are some real world pieces out there that remind me of things that could exist in the same universe as the awesome set of pants you drew.

I know it's not the exact same thing but there's inspo to be had in the logic of the pocket layouts and in concepts like curved-leg pants that simply hang differently on the body. A lot of the astronaut/alien style you've got going there has already been made into stuff one can mine for details.

If you ever want to sperg about this stuff or run something by me, shoot me a message, I think you can see I love picking this stuff apart.

EDIT - are you still gonna add to that drawing?

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino