"Post your Art" Thread -

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net
Giraud, that's the guy!
There's a lot of interesting fashion that you might want to look at, seeing as how those pants are central. Are you into weird designers & stuff at all? I'm a techwear/weird clothing nut and there are some real world pieces out there that remind me of things that could exist in the same universe as the awesome set of pants you drew.

I know it's not the exact same thing but there's inspo to be had in the logic of the pocket layouts and in concepts like curved-leg pants that simply hang differently on the body. A lot of the astronaut/alien style you've got going there has already been made into stuff one can mine for details.

If you ever want to sperg about this stuff or run something by me, shoot me a message, I think you can see I love picking this stuff apart.

EDIT - are you still gonna add to that drawing?
The look of them is very utilitarian and even dieselpunk-esque. The pockets could be used for everything from technician's tools to spare magazines for a pistoleers firearm.

TotallyNotAwez

kiwifarms.net
an illustration I was playing around with for the longest time and finally decided to sit down to finish recently
View attachment 730854
While it might not be the best technically, I always appreciate a high level of detail! My advice is almost all the lineart in it is the same weight which can make it a bit confusing to the viewer. Try making the lines of objects closer to the viewer thicker and the ones further away thinner to show better depth in a subtle way. Keep it up, great work in the color choices.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
While it might not be the best technically, I always appreciate a high level of detail! My advice is almost all the lineart in it is the same weight which can make it a bit confusing to the viewer. Try making the lines of objects closer to the viewer thicker and the ones further away thinner to show better depth in a subtle way. Keep it up, great work in the color choices.
yes, typically i will vary the line thickness and transparency to indicate distance, but in this one it became too much of a mess in many of the dense areas and I ultimately decided to finish it imperfectly rather than sink any more time into it

Yukari Yakumo

Assigned Eldritch Abomination at Birth
kiwifarms.net
do you create the color palette before you start to draw? I often think I would like drawing in a more cartoonish style but when I open up Krita I start with line work and eventually start mixing colors and it turns into something closer to an oil painting than a cartoon.
I actually use a website called http://www.colourpod.com when choosing palettes.

• Informative
Reactions: BubbleButt

John Furrman

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nah, that ain't it. There's virtually no value range and no contrast.

@millais add more value range, use the value range to create focus. Right now there's no focus and people's eyes just wander one way and then off the canvas. Once the eyes leave the canvas for 99% of viewers the experience is over. Contrast = interest to the human mind. The more contrast something has the more interesting the work is. There are many ways to create contrast, and a full value range is a nice way. With no contrast, everything is equally as interesting and that is by definition "too busy". You put in so much effort and it'd be a damn shame for someone to look over this.

Giving it a quick paint over, I added a value range.

also dude, it's probably time to study faces again. Its been a few years and your faces still all look like Voldemort. If it's on purpose, sorry, but it is not a good look.

I have some stuff to share:

benis study

refraction study

reflection study

Last edited:

millais

kiwifarms.net
Nah, that ain't it. There's virtually no value range and no contrast.

@millais add more value range, use the value range to create focus. Right now there's no focus and people's eyes just wander one way and then off the canvas. Once the eyes leave the canvas for 99% of viewers the experience is over. Contrast = interest to the human mind. The more contrast something has the more interesting the work is. There are many ways to create contrast, and a full value range is a nice way. With no contrast, everything is equally as interesting and that is by definition "too busy". You put in so much effort and it'd be a damn shame for someone to look over this.

Giving it a quick paint over, I added a value range.
View attachment 735292

also dude, it's probably time to study faces again. Its been a few years and your faces still all look like Voldemort. If it's on purpose, sorry, but it is not a good look.
yes, i must admit that I spend hardly any effort to correct or study the fundamentals. Everything from proportion, to perspective, to composition, to contrast and color is just guess work on my end. I don't really check reference, I don't do the redline thing, I don't check grayscale value. These days I just view the digital painting as a kind of advanced coloring book, to de-stress or relax. I don't really make studies and not too prolific with the stuff so much, just a digital painting every few months. The only thing I'm actively set myself to improve in the past year is how to draw equestrian figure/scene in realistic style, which is involving making some abbreviated studies and looking up the horse anatomy.

John Furrman

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
yes, i must admit that I spend hardly any effort to correct or study the fundamentals. Everything from proportion, to perspective, to composition, to contrast and color is just guess work on my end. I don't really check reference, I don't do the redline thing, I don't check grayscale value. These days I just view the digital painting as a kind of advanced coloring book, to de-stress or relax. I don't really make studies and not too prolific with the stuff so much, just a digital painting every few months. The only thing I'm actively set myself to improve in the past year is how to draw equestrian figure/scene in realistic style, which is involving making some abbreviated studies and looking up the horse anatomy.
All the more impressive. It would be really cool to see what you could get up to with a bit of studying.

• Agree
Reactions: ︈︈︈

millais

kiwifarms.net
All the more impressive. It would be really cool to see what you could get up to with a bit of studying.
Some day, I definitely would like to buy a drawing tablet, read some drawing books, and upgrade to Adobe illustrator or photoshop and really make a strong effort at mastering the digital painting craft.

But my leisure time and interest is split in so many directions right now that it's not really something I can sit down and intensely focus on. Many weeks, I'm only spending a few minutes each day to work on any digital painting, and recently my attention has been split even further as I have been picking up some elementary practice with real watercolors-and-ink landscape drawing.

millais

kiwifarms.net
Not bad for a first start!
if Hitler could do passable watercolor landscape, then i figured it must be easy enough to pick up. And sure enough, it's pretty hard to screw up so far. I understand it does have a pretty high skill ceiling for what you can do with the different advanced techniques and materials/tools, though. I just start learning how to do the most elementary technique for now, like mixing color and different effect of wet vs dry brush/paper.

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
if Hitler could do passable watercolor landscape, then i figured it must be easy enough to pick up. And sure enough, it's pretty hard to screw up so far. I understand it does have a pretty high skill ceiling for what you can do with the different advanced techniques and materials/tools, though. I just start learning how to do the most elementary technique for now, like mixing color and different effect of wet vs dry brush/paper.
True. And yet I still think of how my art teacher in high school kept having to drill it to me to keep on going with my watercolor paintings. Starting light and work your way to dark is pretty standard in getting the handle of how light and shadows are necessary to master.

EDIT: Reminded I did this a few years back with nothing but watercolor and Micron pens.

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
Every now and then I like to imagine what it would be like if DBZ had remained a little more true to the tone of the original Dragon Ball:

Anyone remember how as a kid Goku was unable to tell people's gender without giving their crotch a tap or two? I'd imagine the Adrogynous Ambassador of Annihilation that is Frieza would've posed quite the conundrum to our pint-sized hero.

Last edited:

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Every now and then I like to imagine what it would be like if DBZ had remained a little more true to the tone of the original Dragon Ball:

Anyone remember how as a kid Goku was unable to tell people's gender without giving their crotch a tap or two? I'd imagine the Adrogynous Ambassador of Annihilation that is Frieza would've posed quite the conundrum to our pint-sized hero.
This is PERFECT!

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino