Post Your Favorite Example of Brutalist Architecture -

polonium

By your genders combined, I am Captain Tumblr
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
MerredinLink,_East_Perth,_2015(1).jpg

This is East Perth train station, it also contains the train control centre and a lot of the operations staff, although I think they're in the process of moving people to another office closer to the city. The inside has been largely modernised, although it still has that 1970's dark wood panelling in the corridors. I believe it used to have a ballroom although I've never seen that part (only ever been to meetings with government transport officials in here, and on the roof to look at the comms tower). The ground floor is the actual transit centre where the public can go, and it's much more light and airy inside than you'd think from looking at the brown brick exterior.

theshep

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just thought of another lot of buildings in Sydney, although I'm not quite sure if you could consider them brutalist. They do have an air of Soviet chic about them.

This is another housing estate.
Redfern.jpg
There are a few sets of these apartments.

Also paired with these two affectionately nicknamed 'suicide towers'
Redfern3.png

Edit: Just found this:

• Islamic Content
Reactions: Troonologist PhD

Francis E. Dec Esc.

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think there's something worse than unfinished concrete. The 60's small yellow brick.
View attachment 1295024

It makes buildings look like giant cigarette butts, at best. Most of them they look like tar and nicotine stained teeth that fell out of a giant's mouth to the embarrassment of God that tries to hide it up by keeping the area permanently overcast. In the picture above it shows that the weather is better outside of that neighborhood.

That's like 50% of Cleveland, Ohio, the other 50% is old factory worker's hovels.

Speaking of depressing cities, Montreal has tons of ugly brutalist tower blocks:

f67c63d0d28dc26555318931a2f546c.jpg_1200x630.jpg

Edit: I wish I could find a better picture than that. Coming in on Autoroute 15 from Laval, there's so many of them it looks like Warsaw or Prague in the 1980s.

Last edited:

AnOminous

But I'm not mad at anyone.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Also paired with these two affectionately nicknamed 'suicide towers'
View attachment 1295165

Edit: Just found this:

These hellish, oppressive buildings always remind me of J.G. Ballard's High-Rise, which I believe is actually based on them specifically. I think the worst thing about these buildings is their lack of humanity and contempt for the people who have to exist in and around them. They say something about the structure of a society that would inflict them on people.

The best and greatest

Staring into your soul
kiwifarms.net
Last edited:

Tragi-Chan

A thousand years old
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
044DA810-F649-4869-8879-0343FF36A832.jpeg
This is the Trellick Tower in Ladbroke Grove, London. It was absolutely despised when it was built, so much so that Ian Fleming created a Bond villain based on its architect, Erno Goldfinger. There’s even a legend that Goldfinger jumped off it to his death.

But with Ladbroke Grove becoming more fashionable, the Trellick has been re-evaluated and now it’s very much in demand. It is fair to say that compared to most other council blocks in Britain, it’s pretty distinctive and interesting.

There’s a quote by Alexei Sayle on Brutalism that I can’t find now, but went something like, “The architects had no idea how real people work. They thought these walkways would be filled with working class people wandering around and discussing Trotsky.” Kind of sums my feelings up - I get what they were trying to do, but it was naive and unrealistic when what people wanted was just somewhere to live.

Then there are a lot of buildings where Brutalism has seemingly been used to justify a lack of imagination. There are a lot of office blocks so bland that I don’t think anyone would even notice if they were knocked down.

AnOminous

But I'm not mad at anyone.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1300656
This is the Trellick Tower in Ladbroke Grove, London. It was absolutely despised when it was built, so much so that Ian Fleming created a Bond villain based on its architect, Erno Goldfinger. There’s even a legend that Goldfinger jumped off it to his death.

It is also believed to be the direct inspiration, or at least a direct inspiration, for J.G. Ballard's High-Rise.

Tags
None