Post your favorite video game and the first song that you think of that comes to mind when playing this game. -

Ndnd

It’s not Aspirin...
kiwifarms.net
0BDD42AE-FB30-41AB-8D8E-B6B2BA1EFDF7.jpeg

This game is a goddamn masterpiece! And I don’t know if I’ll ever get sick of taking down robot dinosaurs with a bow and spear. This particular cutscene and song always hits me in the :feels:

• Feels
Reactions: Troon Draugur

Wraith

Made pure again from the hardest game on earth.
kiwifarms.net
Don't have a favorite, have many favorites so I'll just say Mechwarrior 3 and this old gem:

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
This is one of the finest games ever created. I've spent almost 20 years now playing almost every SRPG I can get my hands on and nothing comes close.

TacticsTKOL.jpg

Bizarrely enough the music I associate most with it is Muse. I spent a winter in the early 2000s playing through Tactics Ogre and listening to Muse in the background. How does it even make sense associating a slow and methodical turn based game with something like this

I don't know but they are forever linked in my mind.

Technetium

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1268439

An underrated classic. It was one of the best vehicular combat games to be created with a susbstantially better soundtrack. It's a shame it never got a remaster given how horribly it runs on using the dgVoodoo compatinility layer. To achieve optimal performance and maximum graphical fidelity (for its time) you would have to build a rig using components from that time period. Not to mention running dgVoodoo on Linux would require a workaround such as using tools like DXVK or DXGL or Wine because of the API it chooses to use.

Nice! Not familiar with this game, but speaking of old driving/vehicular combat games with a surprisingly solid funk soundtrack, I think these two tracks still hold up now:

Driver 1 theme.

This one isn't as elaborate, and it's disco, not funk, but it's super catchy. The menu music from the N64 version of Vigilante 8.

Reactions: albertbrown26

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1268439

An underrated classic. It was one of the best vehicular combat games to be created with a susbstantially better soundtrack. It's a shame it never got a remaster given how horribly it runs on using the dgVoodoo compatinility layer. To achieve optimal performance and maximum graphical fidelity (for its time) you would have to build a rig using components from that time period. Not to mention running dgVoodoo on Linux would require a workaround such as using tools like DXVK or DXGL or Wine because of the API it chooses to use.

The multiplayer was fucking phenomenal, there was a great community around that game in 96-97. I remember using a hex editor to edit the paint jobs on the cars by swapping out textures from different parts of the game. You'd have a custom look and since the files were already part of the game, everyone in multiplayer would see. Custom skins were a revelation back then.

karz

"Somebody's Listening" - Project P-415
kiwifarms.net
Sky_crawlers.jpg

This one's for the uninitiated...

This one's for those who knows what happens at the final battle.
Really an amazing game. Such a shame it hasn't gotten more attention in the years since its release. (Being a Wii exclusive outside of Japan didn't exactly help, either...)
Also, probably one of the hardest final boss battles I've ever encountered and beaten.
Not gonna lie, I cried a bit when the final battle was over. A worthy end for a formidable adversary. I won't forget you, Kylie.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Secret-of-Mana-box.png

(seriously, why can nobody else figure out that RPG mechanics + beat em up gameplay + beautiful nature environments is lightning in a bottle)

• Winner

Screw Danlon

I ❤️ Snailslime
kiwifarms.net
Not sure it’s my favorite game of all time (definitely of the last few years.). but definitely the one I most associate with a song.
Gackt’s Illness Illusion seems like it should be in Neir:Automata.

8ECE15C4-4363-47BF-ACFD-427F3034D9E5.jpeg

• Informative

Syaoran Li

Oh what a night! Late December back in '63...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Resident_Evil_1_cover.png

Resident Evil 2.png

Resident Evil 3.jpg

My top three favorite video games of all time would have to be the first three Resident Evil games for the PS1, and when I think of those games, I'll admit I do associate them with certain specific songs, mostly because I liked listening to a local oldies radio station around the same time I was playing these games for the first time as a little kid in the late 90's.

• Feels
Reactions: Troon Draugur

Troon Draugur

Stilgar of Troon. Facial Fremen-isation surgery
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1422600

View attachment 1422602

View attachment 1422606

My top three favorite video games of all time would have to be the first three Resident Evil games for the PS1, and when I think of those games, I'll admit I do associate them with certain specific songs, mostly because I liked listening to a local oldies radio station around the same time I was playing these games for the first time as a little kid in the late 90's.
Great choices on both fronts.

My favourite goes back and forth between a bunch of games but today, I'd plump for:

BioShock_box.png

Could easily have been
Silent-Hill-2-PS2.jpg

Tags
None