Predator 5 announced - Why can't they leave this fucking franchise just rest in peace?

Miller

kikongo fucking shits
kiwifarms.net
Can we all just agree that Bear McCreary is like THE music man for films these days? Zimmer, Elfman, and Williams have gotten old, and almost everyone else to come up in the last two decades have kind of been hidden in their shadows.

Then along comes Bear McCreary who seems to be responsible for some of my favorite scores in the last 5 years. Regardless of what you thought about the last Godzilla movie, the dude hit a grand fucking slam with the music, and the Child's Play reboot that nobody asked for was largely worth it because of A) Mark Hamill, B) A surprisingly decent cast and C) Bear's great score and that Buddy Song he put together.
I've been following his career since the first season of BSG. I'm glad that he gets to score more movies these days.

kadoink

kiwifarms.net
I don't understand why people dislike that movie.
Well, instead of military protagonists in the jungle, you have cops fighting gang members in La. Not really anyone to root for, no one is really written that well and for every moment thats good you got the rest of the film thats ok. The Predators are supposed to go after worthy prey, and none of that is really present here. Its downgraded to hunting assholes who have guns.

Its like the King Willy scene, which was cool and all, but made no sense. No reason for the Predator to target the character really because he didn't distinguish himself as a warrior. He only pulled out the sword cane after it approached him.

Also Gotta point this out, this Predator has major plot armor. No one can hurt it unless they're Danny Glover. Even the first film had the Predator being injured by someone other than Arnold. Watching Bill Paxton put like 20 rounds into it in the Subway and only managing to hit the same 3-4 pieces of bikini armor the Predator wears wasn't that well thought out.

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh it gets worse, this is gonna be the woke version of Predator.

"We have learned that Dan Trachtenberg is set to direct ‘Skulls’ for Fox/Disney.

The filmmaker is previously known for directing ‘Black Mirror’ Season 3 Episode 2, ‘The Boys’ Season 1 Episode 1 and ‘10 Cloverfield Lane’. He also was set to direct ‘Uncharted’ for Sony Pictures until he left due to creative differences with the studio, now Travis Knight, previously known for directing ‘Bumblebee’ and ‘Kubo & The Two Strings’, is now set to direct the film.

Following his departure from ‘Uncharted’, Trachtenberg will now develop ‘Skulls’ for 20th Century Fox, which was newly acquired by Disney. ‘Skulls’ will follow a Comanche woman who goes against gender norms and traditions to become a warrior. Patrick Aison will write the screenplay for the film, he has previously been a co-executive producer for ‘Treadstone’, supervising producer/writer for ‘Jack Ryan’ Season 1 and a consultant for ‘Legion’.

John Davis will produce the film under the Davis Entertainment production banner. He has previously produced ‘Chronicle’, ‘The Man From UNCLE’, ‘Victor Frankenstein’, ‘Joy, ‘Ferdinand’, ‘The Predator’, ‘Shaft’ and ‘‘Dolemite Is My Name’. He has also recently been producing Dwayne Johnson’s ‘Jungle Cruise’ for Disney."

Set your spectrum settings to "fuck tard" folks, this is gonna be a rough one.
Oh. Baby... My thread just turned into a two-fer.
If this is the wave that this guy rides, the movie is DOA. I mean, okay, we knew that the moment some asshat in Hollywood went "how about we try it... again?", but this is like they don't even attempt to make it a decent attempt. It's gonna be Bitchelle McStronk-Womyn obliterating the Predator, outperforming all men, fighting for equal rights and ... I dunno. Fuck DRUMPF, just so we get the full set?

I also halfway expect "Skulls" to use some black woman for the main role.

I wonder if Hollywood will at some point start mixing stuff up to see if it happens. Make a carbon copy of Alien, but replace the Xenomorph with the Predator and vice versa.
Hollywood can't burn to the ground soon enough, those kiddy-diddlers ran out of the last remnants of creativitiy a decade ago.

Well, instead of military protagonists in the jungle, you have cops fighting gang members in La. Not really anyone to root for, no one is really written that well and for every moment thats good you got the rest of the film thats ok. The Predators are supposed to go after worthy prey, and none of that is really present here. Its downgraded to hunting assholes who have guns.

Its like the King Willy scene, which was cool and all, but made no sense. No reason for the Predator to target the character really because he didn't distinguish himself as a warrior. He only pulled out the sword cane after it approached him.

Also Gotta point this out, this Predator has major plot armor. No one can hurt it unless they're Danny Glover. Even the first film had the Predator being injured by someone other than Arnold. Watching Bill Paxton put like 20 rounds into it in the Subway and only managing to hit the same 3-4 pieces of bikini armor the Predator wears wasn't that well thought out.
The Predator inherited Arnold's "directly stand in the line of fire and not get hit by anything" ability.

• Agree
Reactions: Sundae

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Wow, I was not expecting this to be a franchise to come back at all, let alone so soon.

I say keep it simple though, make it just about a group of US special forces guys in Afghanistan encountering a Predator, that'd be cool.

I don't understand why people dislike that movie.
I've always really liked Predator 2, it's not perfect, it's no Aliens or Terminator 2, but I still think it's one of the better sequels out there.

make_it_so

Just watching all this shit
kiwifarms.net
I've always really liked Predator 2, it's not perfect, it's no Aliens or Terminator 2, but I still think it's one of the better sequels out there.
To me Predator vs Predator 2 is kind of like Alien vs Aliens - different types of films, but both good films for what they are. If Predator was the 80s military action flick getting mixed with sci-fi/slasher horror, Predator 2 was the 80's crime/buddy cop flick getting mixed with sci-fi/slasher horror. Also, just as Aliens expanded on the mythos of Alien, so did Predator 2 with regards to Predator.

Plus I thought Danny Glover was entertaining as hell in his role.

DamageJoy

Master video game dev
kiwifarms.net
I don't dislike Predator 2 but I respect that it was better back when it was the Dark Horse comic about AHNOLD's brother who was a cop.
Also for many years it was the blue balls of the Xeno skull but no AvP movie.
It would be cool to see an AvP movie. Too bad they never made one.
Imagine colonial marines, the predator and aliens caught in a crossfire.

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I say keep it simple though, make it just about a group of US special forces guys in Afghanistan encountering a Predator, that'd be cool.
Damn that sounds like ti could be amazing. I mean, thematically, it's kind of a reboot of the old one, but if someone made this nowadays, exchanged the setting for an updated location that more closely reflects the current political situation with the fallout of the wars in the middle east, that could be a neat thing. Sure, it's kind of uninspired to more or less remake Predator 1, but it would at least go back to the roots and maybe set up a new series, free of the taint of Predators and The Predator...
The key to making that movie work, would be to really take advantage of the new setting, so it's not just "Predator: Copy&Paste Sand Edition"... a competent writer/director might even go for some subtle political commentary (A bit like Aliens had a very subtle comment about the Vietnam War).

But this is CURRENT YEAR+4, so we can't have nice things, even if those "nice things" boil down to "carbon copy of an 80s movie with small updates that doesn't suck".

Guarantee that the Predator is going to take a knee at somepoint during this film.
Black guy will be strangled by Police Officer McRedneck, who's gonna laugh and show off his KKK-Membership ring while doing so, the Predator will come past the dead body of the black guy, kneel down and gently close his eyes before dropping his current objective to kill the Cop in a really gruesome manner. Bonuspoints if the movie makes it clear that the Predator didn't do this as part of the "hunt for worthy prey" but rather as punishment for someone being dishonorable and evil.

Nah, the movie won't even be remotely clever enough for something like that. Protag will be some black chick that simply outperforms all white male characters, especially in the virtue department. Expect white guys to run off screaming, leaving behind someone and the black chick will be the only one staying back to protect that person. Fleeing white guy(s) will be killed by the Predator effortlessly.
It's the only trope these assholes know, I fear. That and whatever could be copied from Marvel Capeshit, but I have no clue what that might be, since I refuse to watch that garbage (with only minor exceptions).

horrorfan89

Gobble! Gobble!...mother fucker!
kiwifarms.net
I like predator 2 just as much as you guys but no love for predators? I get that it wasn't as good as the first, the sequel or hell avp 1 aka the first time in 14 years there was a cinematic predator movie. But unlike the predator or this film you can tell predators was made by people who saw/were fans of the original. plus it actually tried something different without completely butt fucking the franchise

The Nothingness

The one with no body!
kiwifarms.net
Can't wait to see more borderline-supremacist pandering to literal autists. Didn't the 2018 movie have an autistic kid saving the day because the predators considered him a genius?
Also it turned the Predators into generic alien species that wants to takeover Earth.

As mediocre as the plot was for the third movie, good concept but a bad choice for the lead, it ended with a cliffhanger that would have been an obviously choice for the next installment. The two remaining characters not only have to deal with whatever the new "prey" is that arrives on the gaming preserve planet but also the new hunting parties of rival Predator clans as they try to finally escape.

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like predator 2 just as much as you guys but no love for predators? I get that it wasn't as good as the first, the sequel or hell avp 1 aka the first time in 14 years there was a cinematic predator movie. But unlike the predator or this film you can tell predators was made by people who saw/were fans of the original. plus it actually tried something different without completely butt fucking the franchise
For me, the basic idea behind the movie was pretty interesting, but I simply hated the execution.
You have all these varied characters with unique backgrounds and skills... and in the end, it's 'Murrica McUncleSam that explains everyone how to do their job most effectively.
Instead of having everyone put in his expertise to help out the group, the US dude pretty much is the be-all-end-all expert on anything. That just took me out of the movie too much to enjoy it for pretty much the same reason I was slightly disappointed with Pacific Rim. You have so many cool characters in this movie, but everyone except the main guy is just window dressing, a damn waste if you ask me.
Also, I was looking forward to watch the Speznas kick ass and go down in a blaze of glory, but he kinda died like a bitch.

If it had treated the characters more equally, I think I would have absolutely loved the movie.
Though, maybe I was just biased against the movie from the get-go, possibl cause Terminator had soured me against late and unnecessary sequels to iconic movies.

General F-Mantoid

A.W. "Noa" Brimley
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I honestly did like Predator 2 and Predators. Fun overall, and any criticisms I used to have them have kind of fizzled out as even more godawful pictures from CY Hollywood began flooding my senses and dropping my standards. The Predator was an abomination and a crime against writing and lore that didn't deserve to exist. Regardless, its pretty clear at this point that there's no point in continuing the franchise and just leave the general public idolizing the first gem and the fans to enjoy the less terrible sequels rather than continue pumping out soulless cash grabs with even more retarded plots seasoned with mandatory woke sauce.

Also you ever read the comics?
1606059498020.jpeg

A Predator movie set in the far west and shot like a spaghetti western could be fun.
That's actually a pretty ingenious idea for a Predator film.
1606059312514.jpeg

Too bad it'll never happen, and if it does expect Predator to get punked by the first genderqueer black cowboy with hyper evolved aspergers.

Tags
None