Disaster President of Grindr says marriage is between a man and a woman - You read that title correctly

Diabeetus

Ice cream and apple pie
kiwifarms.net
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/nov/29/grindr-apps-president-says-fuck-these-faggots-tho-lmao-fuck-these-rainbow-flags-nigga-hahahahahaha

The president of Grindr wrote on Facebook that he believes “marriage is a holy matrimony between a man and a woman”, sparking backlash inside the gay dating app company.

Scott Chen, who became the president of Grindr after it was bought by a Chinese gaming corporation, wrote and later deleted a lengthy post on his personal page that criticized Christian groups fighting marriage equality, but also suggested that his personal beliefs clashed with gay marriage.

“Some people think the marriage is a holy matrimony between a man and a woman. And I think so too. But that’s your own business,” he wrote in the post, which appeared to be his commentary on a recent gay marriage debate in Taiwan. “Some people think the purpose of the marriage is to have a child carries your DNA. But again, that’s your own business.”

His remarks, which he originally wrote in Chinese, but later translated into English, were publicized Thursday by Into, a digital magazine that is owned by Grindr.

Chen acknowledged his post in a comment responding to the Into article, but said he was a supporter of gay marriage: “The reason I said marriage is a holy matrimony between a man and a woman is based on my own personal experience. I am a straight man married to a woman I love and I have two beautiful daughters I love from the marriage. This is how I feel about my marriage. Different people have their different feelings about their marriages. You can’t deny my feelings about my marriage.”

He added: “I am a huge advocate for LGBTQ+ rights since I was young. I support gay marriage and I am proud that I can work for Grindr.”

The original post and his subsequent defense have led to criticisms within the Los Angeles-based corporation, with Grindr’s own publication taking the unusual step of reporting on its parent company and revealing Chen’s remarks.

Zach Stafford, editor of Into and Grindr’s chief content officer, told the Guardian that Chen’s comments were out of step with the app’s values: “Grindr’s goal as a company is to help seek the full equity of all LGBT people’s rights around the world, especially when it comes to dating and love. And marriage for many is an end goal to our app.”

Joel Simkhai, Grindr’s founder, announced his departure as CEO earlier this year after Kunlun Group, a Chinese technology firm, completed a full acquisition of the app, which boasts 3.8 million daily users across the globe. Chen first served as chief technology officer and recently became president.

Chen, who is based in Los Angeles, criticized Into’s reporting in his response, calling the article “unbalanced and misleading”, adding, “It hurts my feelings and it also hurts Into’s and Grindr’s reputation”.

Stafford, a former Guardian writer, said Into’s editorial decisions were independent from Grindr, adding: “We stand by the reporting … We are very interested in telling the stories that impact queer people most … The Into staff sees this as doing their job.”

Chen posted the original Facebook comment earlier this week, days after voters in Taiwan rejected same-sex marriage in a referendum. LGBT campaigners have been fighting to make the island the first country in Asia to allow gay couples to share child custody and insurance benefits.

The referendum, aimed at stopping the historic legalization effort, was organized by Christian groups. In his original post, Chen said: “I won’t donate to any Christian organization based in Taiwan.”

Chen later said he had taken down the post because it had led to “heated discussions” involving a relative.

Chen and a Grindr spokesperson did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Kunlun’s acquisition of Grindr raised privacy concerns earlier this year, and Grindr faced intense scrutiny in the spring after it was revealed that the app was providing users’ HIV status data to outside companies.
1BC6B28F-80DC-450E-B91C-5A8FEF779686.jpeg

A man who believes in Christianity's definition of marriage (a 'holy matrimony' between a man and a woman) runs an app that encourages the exact opposite sentiments to what he believes is the true definition of marriage, and the more popular it gets, the more irrelevant that original definition becomes in the larger part of society.

In a hundred years, English textbooks will cite this as a real life example of irony. Absolutely wonderful.

Last edited:

BigRuler

lmao bottom text
kiwifarms.net
A man who believes in Christianity's definition of marriage (a 'holy matrimony' between a man and a woman) made an app that encourages the exact opposite sentiments to what he believes is the true definition of marriage, and the more popular it gets, the more irrelevant that original definition becomes in the larger part of society.
the guy didnt make grindr lol
he's just a business executive brought in after the company was bought out by a chinese megacorp

Testaclese Maximus

as friendly as a rabbit
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No offense to the OP but this story is a tad old. That being said, I haven’t heard a lot of backlash on this. You’d think after almost a week, but no.

I think people are just tired of the culture wars....me included.
I’m gonna be impressed if there’s no backlash to this since nothing actually happened.

Johnny Bravo

Bravokin
kiwifarms.net
“Some people think the marriage is a holy matrimony between a man and a woman. And I think so too. But that’s your own business,” he wrote in the post, which appeared to be his commentary on a recent gay marriage debate in Taiwan. “Some people think the purpose of the marriage is to have a child carries your DNA. But again, that’s your own business.”
“The reason I said marriage is a holy matrimony between a man and a woman is based on my own personal experience. I am a straight man married to a woman I love and I have two beautiful daughters I love from the marriage. This is how I feel about my marriage. Different people have their different feelings about their marriages. You can’t deny my feelings about my marriage.”
It sounds like this guy is just truly, honestly terrible at articulating his thoughts and regulating his own speech because I have no goddamn idea what he's trying to say.

Next Task

kiwifarms.net
tbf no one is getting on grindr to find a future husband so if you think about it there's no real conflict.
Yeah, this seems to be the main response to it I've seen, in what little response there's been. Hell, the article about Ariana Grande's music video being homophobic, racist and transphobic got more of a pushback than this did.

I also think that of the LGBT, The G are in general - not always, but in general - both the least REEEE-y and the ones already being thrown under the Social Justice bus, so some exec's personal beliefs about a matter already decided by law in most of the western world doesn't really matter. That he's talking marriage and runs a hookup app only makes for a headline, not a real story.

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
"bought by a Chinese gaming corporation" is the most interesting part of this story. Is TenCent at it again?

EDIT: Looks like it's the Kunlun Group, and the only thing westerners would recognize from them are all the ads for "League of Angels" on facebook and gaming sites.

Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Digital Thunder

Testaclese Maximus

as friendly as a rabbit
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It sounds like this guy is just truly, honestly terrible at articulating his thoughts and regulating his own speech because I have no goddamn idea what he's trying to say.
He personally views marriage as a sacred bond between a man and a woman but thinks it would be wrong to impose his will on other people.

• Agree
Reactions: Coleman Francis
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino