War Presidential candidate Andrew Yang has a meme problem - YangGang 2020

Figger Naggot

Turning Point Tel Aviv
kiwifarms.net
Everything about yang I've seen on the net feels like astroturfing.
This.

It is pretty bizarre to see right wing twitter hop on the #YangGang bandwagon. I can only imagine how disillusioned they'll be once he starts speaking more on standard democrat policies and they realize the NEETbux are an even more unobtainable goal than the wall.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
I think it's very transparently obvious that all these alt-right meme makers are just taking the piss out of the one of the weakest and most longshot primary contenders, none of them actually want him to become President. It's like the Jeb! phenomenon in 2016

Feline Darkmage

Queen Trap Tank, the Vice Catto
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The alt-right Q-boomers are super lost on the ironic appeal of Yang and his neetbux, I've seen them invading any thread about Yang blaming it on outsiders. (I feel like its projection, because all the white nationalist types went to 4chan to try and convert people in ops started on places like Stormfront.) They just don't get the nihilistic chaos at all and it frightens them

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
"At the same time, his Universal Basic Income proposal has proven genuinely popular with younger voters lazy bums disenchanted with conventional politics."

Memes aside, though, is this feasible economically?
As Bean Cheese said, it's very likely that the companies targeted by the new taxation would do everything in their power to avoid paying the new taxes, and what they couldn't avoid paying would be passed on to the consumer in the form of raised prices anyway.

Let's pull out our calculator. According to the census bureau, the US population in 2018 was 327,167,434, of which 22.6% were under 18 - so that's 253,227,594 adults. Giving all of them $1000 a month, or $12,000 a year, will cost $3,038,731,126,992, not counting administration costs and such - that's over $3 trillion dollars a year in new revenue the country would have to raise in order for this to be revenue-neutral. The US's tax revenue for 2019 is estimated to be $3.422 trillion. The nation would have to nearly double its tax revenue merely by increasing taxes on a single industry… or, more likely, either run further deficits via loans from the Chinese or just start printing money.

No, it is not economically feasible.

That aside, one thing I find interesting about Yang's plan compared to other UBI and UBI-like things, such as that Alaska fund thing, is that there are no exceptions. Owe back taxes to the IRS? Your $1000 won't be withheld. In prison? Spend your $1000 on TVs made from clear plastic and lots of commissary potato chips.

EDIT: Reading up on Yang's plan a bit more, it appears that in his proposal, if you chose to accept the $1000, you would forfeit yourself from Medicare and other federal-level welfare programs. That would offset the cost a bit, so my numbers above aren't entirely accurate. He also proposes a VAT in addition to the tech tax. So my numbers above are quite a bit off from what would actually happen under Yang's plan. I still highly doubt this would be anything close to revenue-neutral, though. Also… " Yes, this means you and everyone you know would receive a check for $1,000 a month every month starting in January 2021." So you think either all of Congress will jump on board with this immediately, or you intend to implement it via executive order? Pressing X.

Last edited:

HeyYou

seriousposter
kiwifarms.net
He's better than the current "slave reparations yeah!" dem candidates, at least. Still, it is extremely odd how much he's taken over /pol/. Personally, I don't think it's all astroturfing, we all know /pol/ will support whatever will continue to let them be lazy bums.

Far Queue

kiwifarms.net
Let's pull out our calculator. According to the census bureau, the US population in 2018 was 327,167,434, of which 22.6% were under 18 - so that's 253,227,594 adults. Giving all of them $1000 a month, or $12,000 a year, will cost $3,038,731,126,992, not counting administration costs and such - that's over $3 trillion dollars a year in new revenue the country would have to raise in order for this to be revenue-neutral. The US's tax revenue for 2019 is estimated to be $3.422 trillion. The nation would have to nearly double its tax revenue merely by increasing taxes on a single industry… or, more likely, either run further deficits via loans from the Chinese or just start printing money.
We spend about that much on Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other similar programs combined, so if you replace those with his program it comes out to cost the same. Much cheaper to just send people their check and let them spend it instead of having to make convoluted rules about everything. If they waste it, that's their fault. No other social benefits.

I'd make everyone do two years service in the armed forces to get their dole payout though. I think you should at least do something for your country, and a few years in the army would do a lot of kids some good given their abysmal fitness and utter lack of self-discipline.

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
We spend about that much on Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other similar programs combined, so if you replace those with his program it comes out to cost the same.
I cited sources with my numbers. Please cite sources with yours. Even if you added in the state-level programs, I doubt this country's welfare program expenditures approach $3 trillion a year.

• Agree
Reactions: Recon

Big Bad Fish

Fuck Burger King
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He's better than the current "slave reparations yeah!" dem candidates, at least. Still, it is extremely odd how much he's taken over /pol/. Personally, I don't think it's all astroturfing, we all know /pol/ will support whatever will continue to let them be lazy bums.
I'm pretty sure he's already said he's 100% for reparations.

HeyYou

seriousposter
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty sure he's already said he's 100% for reparations.
I can't find him saying it, but I wouldn't be surprised. It's not enough we need to find the money for UBI, we also need to give every black person even more money.

Ineedahero

kiwifarms.net
We spend about that much on Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and other similar programs combined, so if you replace those with his program it comes out to cost the same. Much cheaper to just send people their check and let them spend it instead of having to make convoluted rules about everything. If they waste it, that's their fault. No other social benefits.

I'd make everyone do two years service in the armed forces to get their dole payout though. I think you should at least do something for your country, and a few years in the army would do a lot of kids some good given their abysmal fitness and utter lack of self-discipline.
Aside from the logistics of implementing this being ludicrous, this would never work because there is a percentage of the population who will absolutely blow every dollar they earn on the first of every month and then still demand the same treatment, and there is a percentage of the population who would let them do it.

Far Queue

kiwifarms.net
I cited sources with my numbers. Please cite sources with yours. Even if you added in the state-level programs, I doubt this country's welfare program expenditures approach $3 trillion a year.
Most non-discretionary spending goes towards some kind of social program:

Social Security: $1.05 trillion
Medicare: $.63 trillion
Medicaid: $.41 trillion
Other/Misc: $.66 trillion

Figures taken from: https://www.thebalance.com/current-federal-mandatory-spending-3305772

That totals up to $2.75, which is getting close to the $3 trillion figure that you quote. While it's not exact, I think it demonstrates that we already spend a load of money on people.

Aside from the logistics of implementing this being ludicrous, this would never work because there is a percentage of the population who will absolutely blow every dollar they earn on the first of every month and then still demand the same treatment, and there is a percentage of the population who would let them do it.
We already implement something far more ludicrous, since we do this dozens of times with multiple separate programs. Also, you don't think drug dealers don't take food stamps or that people don't waste their entire government check on lottery tickets? There's already loads of lazy fucks that do nothing with their lives and no end of enablers.

It's also far easier to adjust this down over time (or just not increase it with inflation) to slowly I HAVE AUTISM PLEASE LAUGH AT ME people off the government teat. That isn't going happen at all with the current system, which just slowly expands year after year.

Unog

You're a nog.
kiwifarms.net
They describe memes like some janitor picking dog shit with tweezers because he's afraid the smell will linger on his fingers, cracks me up every time.
It's a good watermark for if someone is a joyless asshole.

Also yeah /pol/ has it in for the guy because they think he'll allow them to be bums while fucking over jews, who they are convinced every rich person somehow is. In reality it'd be more like the Great Leap Forward, though I suppose the ironically low I.Q. of /pol/ should've clued me into the fact that they don't realize that.

An Ghost

SOON YOU WILL BE AN GHOST
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nobody will harness meme magic as Trump did. It only blew up like it did because of Hillary’s “Pepe is a white supremacy icon” page on her campaign webzone. Trump just has a more memeable way with words with stellar catchphrases like ‘yuge’ ‘Low energy’ and ‘Sad!’ But if 4chan and pol and memes actually mattered, Ron Paul 2020 baby.

It’d be cheaper to build a wall than do UBI and we saw how that went.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino