Prima Games shutting down - Where will boomers get their Zelda strategy guides now?

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Shit I still remember happypuppy.com and printing out 25-odd pages of secrets and walkthrough of Wild Arms.
I just went to gamewinners.com for cheats when I was a kid. I mean, I also bought a guide because the computer was at the opposite end of the house and ink was expensive even back then for printing.

Now I have a phone and the Youtube app that actually shows videos of how to get things done when I'm stumped. I love that Prima Games started doing the video stuff way too late when Youtube had much more informed players showing off stuff for free. They also had like a subscription plan for it or something, I mean... Prima Games was always trash. I was bummed when Brady Games got merged with them because you could notice the difference.

shartshooter

kiwifarms.net
Weren't they trying to print out some GIRL POWER shit right before this? Yeah, here it is. They fucking put up Anna Anthropy as an influential and historical figure in the gaming industry. No wonder it got shut down.
80.jpeg

:story:

Batman VS Tony Danza

The Eternal Struggle
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The last time I bought a guide was for FF9. The two guides for the previous games were pretty solid so I didn't think to thumb through before buying and didn't notice that it was "enhanced" to work with Square's PlayOnline. This meant the meat of the walkthrough was online and the book only gave you the codes you'd need to put into the website for a specific solution or tip. It's like buying an encyclopedia and having every page say "Check Wikipedia" so I ended up giving it to some autistic kid who wanted to coo over the monster pictures while tearing it up. It was nice to see someone enjoy the book.

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
Most guides were nice, you had them on hand to play side-by-side with the game and didn't have to read through an ASCII-notepad document to find the very specific thing you wanted, and generally got some nice screenshots and fan art to go with it. Also no pop-ups, minimal advertising, they were aesthetic and held their value if it was an RPG that was limited printing, etc. They really only went downhill with FF9 and all the codes forcing you to go online, and quite a few PS2 guides were good quality. I gave on consoles after that since good JRPGs stopped being made.

F

Cubanodun

Now augmented with Holodex
kiwifarms.net
I remember importing the Ocarina of time guide because i was a scrub but later i only used guides for very obscure steps in certain games (lol suikoden), but yeah in the year of the internet with twitch and youtube guides are a thing of the past

It doesnt help that most modern games practically hold your hand

Last edited:

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I bought their MGS3 book because at the time I was between laptops and was trying to get all the stupid frogs.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Have you ever read one of those Prima Guides? All of em are littered with spelling mistakes and false information. Especially the Super Smash Bros Brawl guide

I've only ever owned three guides from them and they did alright by me.

Commander Keen

in GOODBYE GALAXY!!!
kiwifarms.net
The only strategy guide I ever bought was this fucking tome of a thing for Final Fantasy III (VI) and none of it made any goddamn sense. I’ll try to find it and post a picture, I think I’ve kept it after all these years. I can’t find it online.