Privacy Checkup 2021

LordOdin

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Do you really want everything you said online to be associated with your real world identity? You can lose employment opportunities, scholarships, etc.
Even a nobody could lose their job/school place/clientele if enough woke fuckwits spam their employer etc about their “problematic” online activity. You’re only truly safe if you’re retired, self-funded, and don’t care if friends and family find out you like to laugh at retards online. Also if you haven’t said anything that is a criminal offence, or something you can be sued for (Eg. “Hate speech” or defamation) in the country you live in. So it is best to be a bit wary.

It's not like i WANT it to be asociated rather i don't see the harm generally i say the same here as i would anywhere granted i do have the touch of tism so that might be the reason. Ofcourse it's probably a minor inconvenience which is why i see this stuff as a hassle. I understand it for Null who actively has a platform that flips off censorship but do people go after users too? Is it that bad in other countries? Or is my retard shield just highly effective?

artilleryfroth

Got a hungie on Trump 2024
kiwifarms.net
It's not like i WANT it to be asociated rather i don't see the harm generally i say the same here as i would anywhere granted i do have the touch of tism so that might be the reason. Ofcourse it's probably a minor inconvenience which is why i see this stuff as a hassle. I understand it for Null who actively has a platform that flips off censorship but do people go after users too? Is it that bad in other countries? Or is my retard shield just highly effective?
In Britain, people have been arrested, charged (and convicted, but at least one was later overturned) for things they said about trannies online. A British tranny is suing some other British guy for things he allegedly said on here under an alias, and Null was asked to reveal IP addresses. In Canada, some guy was ordered to pay a tranny $35K (if I recall the amount correctly) for handing out pamphlets “misgendering” him. A woman in Australia was ordered by a human rights tribunal to pay something like $10K for “liking” Facebook comments calling him names. Do you need more? I can give you details of those four examples if you like, pretty sure all of them are documented on here.

LordOdin

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In Britain, people have been arrested, charged (and convicted, but at least one was later overturned) for things they said about trannies online. A British tranny is suing some other British guy for things he allegedly said on here under an alias, and Null was asked to reveal IP addresses. In Canada, some guy was ordered to pay a tranny $35K (if I recall the amount correctly) for handing out pamphlets “misgendering” him. A woman in Australia was ordered by a human rights tribunal to pay something like $10K for “liking” Facebook comments calling him names. Do you need more? I can give you details of those four examples if you like, pretty sure all of them are documented on here.
Jesus i remember the guy in britosh court thing as Null discussed it in his streams but those other fucking thins man. I hear that stuff alot it just sounds so unreal to me like i can't fathom that being reality. I always assumed those people were public figures or something not completely random people.

GunnlaugurSassoon

kiwifarms.net
I'm fairly illiterate when it comes to privacy/internet security aside from what seems like basics I know due to work. Does anyone have recommendations for good articles or videos on the topic?

Erika Furudo

Me an intellectual 🎶
kiwifarms.net
I'm fairly illiterate when it comes to privacy/internet security aside from what seems like basics I know due to work. Does anyone have recommendations for good articles or videos on the topic?

I found this guy's YT channel helpful.
Also this guy

But honestly you will find lots of people saying different things, and you will still need to rely on shit you don't fully understand or things you can't really prove. E.g. Can your VPN provider be trusted with your data.
Also privacy =/= security, you can make yourself more secure at the cost of privacy and vice versa.
I only really got into taking privacy more seriously after Trump got kicked off everything. Big tech has waaaay too much power, most people are fine with it and many people think cancel culture is ok. It was clear I needed to up my privacy game not just because of current trends, but because it will make transition to a federated internet easier. I only found out about the fediverse thanks to Null, but I think it's pretty much going to be the only viable internet in the future as everything else will be sterile as fuck. Especially if Biden fucks with certain laws, which I assume he will. It's best to learn about things now before corporations try to smear or conceal tools people use to protect their privacy. We already have screeching about the fediverse not being something they can censor.

But there is pretty much no avoiding a total invasion of privacy at this point in time, given shit like the intel management engine is built into most chips, AMD has a similar thing iirc, and neither has been fully deactivated yet afaik. Built in, unavoidble spyware. Also I'm going to say avoid lenovo. I owned a lenovo laptop and it was creepy as fuck given Lenovo have a history of putting malware on their pc's, and I literally had kaspersky (I know some people dislike AV due to privacy, but still) saying there was a lenovo program trying to access my webcam. Fuck that. Remember to tape up your webcam, or if building a PC, don't fucking install one, just have a USB plug in. I hate how laptops all come with webcams and microphones built in. On that note, fuck normies for making shit like Cortana a thing on everything. I need to figure out how hardware works to rip out the microphones and just use a usb, there is no way in hell MS isn't spying on people. Just like Amazon and Alexa, or was it siri? Either way waaaaay too many spying machines sold as things of convenience. Wow so hard to type something into a searchbar, the built in, always on microphone makes things so much easier.

Doctor Ivo Robotnik Sr.

SNOOPING AS USUAL I SEE
kiwifarms.net

Gossimp

kiwifarms.net
Good shit.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in the thread I think: never reuse the same passwords. I know they are probably salted in the DB, but better safe than sorry in case of a leak and it's one less breadcrumb to fuck you over when crossing data from other password leaks.

I'll say this first but maybe you already know: always choose open source software if you can, it's way easier to know what it does network-wise.

Some links:
https://www.privacytools.io/
https://spyware.neocities.org/

I recommend you to view videos through an invidio.us instance to get rid of most of tracking junk from youtube: replace the domain name part (youtube.com or www.youtube.com) with the domain name of the invidio.us instance (i.e yewtu.be). Be warned, the search function is often broken on the instances. Self-hostable.
You can also dowload them offline with youtube-dl .

Nitter instances is in the same spirit but for twitter. Self-hostable.

Want to search shit on the web with Google but not touching directly the G ? Use Searx instances.

While on the topic, someone knows a good self-hosted alternative to virustotal.com ? inb4 common sense.

TheShedCollector

kiwifarms.net
I always wonder what's the worse that can hapoen if i'm doxed i'm a literal nobody. I'd get it if i were some eceleb but would someone gain anything from it when you don't really have a platform to have a funny meltdown on. I'm legit curious why the secrecy? Ofcourse i'm not saying post under your real name but al this effort why is it neccesary?
That's exactly why you're the most vulnerable. You don't have anyone in your corner if the internet crazies decide they want your head.

LordOdin

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's exactly why you're the most vulnerable. You don't have anyone in your corner if the internet crazies decide they want your head.
I'm assuming you mean people like moviebob or..... Any tranny really do they legit have any power to do anything? Like stated earlier i sort of understand what you guys are saying i just can't fathom it. However due to the examples the other guy gave me i do see the point of it and why it's worth the hassle. But boy i hope i never have to deal with internet crazies sounds exhausting tbh.