Privacy Checkup 2021

Thistle

Dragon Dick Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Thanks for this, Jersh! Super informative shit.

I've always used a VPN and just tend to pick places at random for my IP. Are there any places that you should be using more than others? Or does it not matter/does it only matter where the VPN itself is based?
Can't recommend mullvad enough tbh. Supports crypto purchases, and assumedly random user ids are generatable with no ties to email addresses.

Last edited:

kūhaku

from the outside looking in
kiwifarms.net
Seriously fed up with privacy.com and I haven’t even been able to enter any info in. I made an account a while ago but never finished the sign on, and recently wanted to make another with a different email. It has been multiple days since I’ve contacted their support asking for them to delete the original account and they haven’t sent me anything back. Is there any better alternative to their service? From some looking it seems like their support is notoriously bad/slow so I’m not sure if it’s correct to trust them.

Distended Gunt

kiwifarms.net
Seriously fed up with privacy.com and I haven’t even been able to enter any info in. I made an account a while ago but never finished the sign on, and recently wanted to make another with a different email. It has been multiple days since I’ve contacted their support asking for them to delete the original account and they haven’t sent me anything back. Is there any better alternative to their service? From some looking it seems like their support is notoriously bad/slow so I’m not sure if it’s correct to trust them.
You can get virtual cards from Revolut but you gotta pay to use the service. (Not sure if it's available to the US too)

Personally I just opened up a few extra bank accounts and I fund them as-needed from my main account that payroll goes into. That way if some fuckwit steals my card they can't grab more than a few hundred bux (they're all debit cards). I think if you're worried about your card provider or bank looking at your bank statement and saying "this is problematic" you should look into crypto instead.

Dick Justice

If you say "normie" you are that which you condemn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Restore Privacy restoreprivacy.com - Blog containing many security and privacy guides.
[...]
VPN Comparison by That One Privacy Guy https://www.safetydetectives.com/best-vpns/ - "info on VPNs. Good resource." Probably the single most comprehensive resource on individual VPNs, and doesn't appear to be afflicted by the pay-for-play VPN coverage cancer.
@Null add these to the OP. Both have lots of good vpn info and restoreprivacy has other stuff to. You also may want to add a DNS section if that's not too much for the luddites.

E: And mention webRTC. A VPN is worse than useless if the bad guys can look right through it.

CakeCutey

Anti-Krampus Cake Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
I seem to pass fine.
Surprisingly though I found out I share a username with a random deviantart account.

AmazingEagle

Finland's best sniper
kiwifarms.net
:gunt::gunt::gunt::gunt::gunt:

Protonmail is pretty good, though they want a number I believe. Get a prepaid sim, there's $10 per year shitty plans around here, won't hurt.
Here's what the plans are for Protonmail:
plushighlighted.jpg

LM Digging Ass

kiwifarms.net
Why not both?
The only real reason to not use both is latency and bandwidth. It's a cost v benefit you can judge on an individuated (incident oriented) basis. The most suspicious thing is NO online profile whatsoever. If you keep one "average Joe Schmoe, Jane LiLee, John Doe with a bit of punk" front-facing profile, it can preclude people from digging further and finding cracks in your identity.

It's a good idea to backstop your alts used in public forums, but that can be very time-consuming. Until you get the recipe down, but even then you still have to left the dough go through its steps to have the feel of real bread..

Generally speaking you must :
  • scale
  • proof,
  • mix,
  • knead,
  • ferment,
  • shape,
  • proof it again,
  • and only then let it bake over at LEAST a few months.
Like I said, cost/benefit. You can eliminate the metaphorical steps on an individuated basis, but it's nice to have a solid mental construct for visualizing the steps.
I believe there are some timeless classics on SocEng you can read to grep the idea of the process. Just some random thoughts and most assuredly not my preferred practice. I like to run nude through the streets of internetville.

AnOminous

Go Speed Racer Go!
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Like I said, cost/benefit. You can eliminate the metaphorical steps on an individuated basis, but it's nice to have a solid mental construct for visualizing the steps.
If you're going to fake being someone you should probably just be a teenager/young adult and thus, your reason for having no previous online existence requires no development. Plus you can fuck with the creeps you'll attract by doing that.

0x0

kiwifarms.net
Brave is trash, stop shilling for a browser that doesn't give a shit about privacy because it gives you money.
Brave phones home to google and whitelists trackers from sites like Facebook and Twitter
-qRZ.png

-qRN.png

-qRq.png

-qRb.png

static1.brave.com redirects to Google.
-qRA.png