Programming thread

Frail Snail

kiwifarms.net
What websites are best for practicing programming? I want to prepare for after I graduate and I've taken all of my programming classes. I miss programming :(
Project Euler and Exercism might help. I don't know, I'm basically a nocoder. When I'm trying to learn a programming language, the hardest parts aren't the projects but trying to familiarize yourself with the standard library and the most popular third-party ones. Mature languages have so much written for them already that it's hard to keep track.

Yeah, you're a zealot, it's ok.

Anyone who makes a distinction as strong as that though is probably a tranny as well. Just waiting to get out...

Who gives a fuck? Why are you even posting this shit on a site where no one really in the game would be talking about this here? Did you expect to find more information? Or just get good boi points?

I'm not sure what field of computing or computer programming you work in, but there is a very clear distinction between the discrete components of UI and UX, though granted, you aren't totally wrong. I just think you overstated it a bit much. I'm not invested, so have at it a bit more. I do both, and I can see the distinction. I don't even take offense. You are right in a way.

I work at a higher level again above the UI and UX programmers. At the very highest level of abstraction that there is. So I do know what you are talking about.

UI is what programmers call it. UX is what tranny weirdos call it.

I just find this a bit of an over emotive phrase that tells me someone hurt you somewhere, and you're using this thread to work it all out. It's alright.

You are invested.

I am not.

Keep at it. I'm quite interested in this thread now, though I don't have much more to offer. I wonder where you will take this argument next, and who will join in.
In my mind, there are 2 UX camps: improving the productivity of your users by iteratively evolving the UI and trying to make some kind of pseudopsychological field around how your users interact with the program. When abused, the former results in unwanted telemetry and the latter gets co-opted by creepy trannies going on about user "stories", emotional engagement with a user interface, etc.

No one man should have all that power.

Seriously, themes are an anti-feature. Every single app should have as close to a standardized UI as possible. Don't even give me the option to make my Firefox toolbar pink, please. Just use the same colors every other (properly-written) Mac app on my system uses, please.

But then again, that ship sailed long ago for just about every Mac browser other than Safari anyway.
Themes don't violate the principle of least surprise, as long as they don't remove any moving parts. Desktop applications mostly follow Microsoft's guidelines even if they're not aware of them. In the case of browsers, most of their viewport is non-standard anyway because it's used to view web apps. What's the harm in changing the color or a bar then? On the other hand, some official standards are maintained by retards who think removing universal buttons for minimizing and maximizing windows is a genuinely good idea.

Dandelion Eyes

kiwifarms.net
Because trannies and soy-fags write javascript. Anyone who does 'frontend' professionally is a sociopath, gender non-conforming, DSM Cluster-B type. Turns out the Cluster-B people tend to troon out and also really like attetion and hug-boxes for being 'special' and 'creative'. There is a strong overlap of Autism and Narcissistic. I've always suspected it's because they have the same sort of frontal-lobe brain damage; the part that's responsible for thinking critically about you and your relation to the greater world. If it's any consolation they make very 'popular' shitty websites that never get used much after being posted about on twitter.
From my experience, most JS developers are regular programming noobs. You know, the kind of people who never programmed before, but heard that there's a huge demand for web programmers, and that it's so easy even a grandma could do it. So they complete a "Learn React.js in a week" course and start sending out applications. Sometimes they even get accepted, and that's when you get sites that take seconds to load.
What websites are best for practicing programming? I want to prepare for after I graduate and I've taken all of my programming classes. I miss programming :(
Have you tried codewars?

Lurk McDurk

kiwifarms.net
Yeah I feel you, when I'm doing tech support for relatives the most common problem is that they can't figure out which bits can be interacted with. Hamburger menu is a good example of that. In all honesty it's mobiles' fault, space limitations necessitating the UI hide stuff away and eventually leading to this kind of minimalism.

I agree, when Zuckerbot, Google, and Tim Apple announce that the whole world is going to be restricted to using the internet only on a phone, and all existing UIs have to be changed to accommodate that, the laziest way to do so is the hamburger menu. Naturally all second / third tier tech companies have to eagerly adopt whatever nonsense Zuckerbot, Google, and Tim Apple feed to them, because they don't care about the second / third tier tech company they work for, they only care about getting hired at Google.

stares at error messages

kiwifarms.net
Thinking about JavaScript fags reminded me of something Terry A. Davis said:
To admire simplicity is a sign of inelegance. To admire complexity is a sign of stupidity.
I wish I had the original quote for attribution; might be para-phrased.

Thinking about how JS fags teach things make me start to think about how compiler developers try to think about the 'big picture' and create a universal generalisation that can apply to the whole structure of the software. The JS fag likes to break down their system into tiny components, the purpose of which can't be understood with the limited information they provide. It's like a breadcrumb approach; they only tell you enough to keep you listening instead of being more direct. I would class this technique as a form of narcissistic abuse. The JS fag forces you to hold your attention on them longer then otherwise necessary due to their deliberate choice to be indirect about the idea they're trying to get across. Narcissists crave attention and externalization of ego-functions such a emotional regulation. They keep you listening to them longer so they can feel a sense and worthiness which they can't grant themselves without external validation. To feel worthiness they need you to listen to them for long periods of time and be very pleased with what they say. This not what always happens because narcissists have a poor model of other people's emotions. This behaviour just sowers people on the narcissist, which would suggest that narcissists are not very intelligent or delusional in thinking that most people don't value their time.

Kernel devs are usually more intelligent and like simple natural law like ideas. E=MC^{2} is simple. JS webpack is not simple. Using bable because node does not automatically do ES6 is not simple. Having to add six hundred different fauxpen libraries to do one simple thing is complexity and unintelligent. The nigger-cattle JS-fag marvels at the complexity of their steaming pile of Frankenstein software. While the kernel and compiler devs take the route of the logistician and try to create a simple unifying principle which their software implements.

ditto

Don't worry about it
kiwifarms.net
Thinking about JavaScript fags reminded me of something Terry A. Davis said:
I wish I had the original quote for attribution; might be para-phrased.

“An idiot admires complexity, a genius admires simplicity, a physicist tries to make it simple, for an idiot anything the more complicated it is the more he will admire it, if you make something so clusterfucked he can't understand it he's gonna think you're a god cause you made it so complicated nobody can understand it. That's how they write journals in Academics, they try to make it so complicated people think you're a genius”
- Terrence Andrew Davis

Cold Root Beer

Refreshing
kiwifarms.net
Anybody else ever been in the situation where they were only person able to understand and keep a super critical undocumented legacy system running, knowing that if you left it would instantly catch on fire and implode, while your dumb coworkers wouldn't able to fix it, and if they hired someone else they wouldn't be able to understand it?

The legacy codebase is the ripest shit garbage humanly imaginable, but they're so locked in they can't replace or refresh it. Their dependency on me makes up for how shitty it is, since they and I both know what a catastrophe will occur when I leave this job, so they've been kissing my ass. Sometimes even shitty situations can have upsides, lol.

Leotardo DaVinci

Clothes are meant to be worn!
kiwifarms.net
Anybody else ever been in the situation where they were only person able to understand and keep a super critical undocumented legacy system running, knowing that if you left it would instantly catch on fire and implode, while your dumb coworkers wouldn't able to fix it, and if they hired someone else they wouldn't be able to understand it?

The legacy codebase is the ripest shit garbage humanly imaginable, but they're so locked in they can't replace or refresh it. Their dependency on me makes up for how shitty it is, since they and I both know what a catastrophe will occur when I leave this job, so they've been kissing my ass. Sometimes even shitty situations can have upsides, lol.
I would use this heavily to leverage either a pay raise or getting technical lead if you can. If you are the only person capable of maintaining it then you are by definition a single point of failure for the company.

Should be able to squeeze a slightly higher salary if you wanted to friend.

Rusty Crab

cowboy hats are crab hats
kiwifarms.net

I'm very much in the same boat. I've tried to follow the boyscout rule of improving it as I go along, but it was a 10 year effort by about 40 people resulting in a million lines of incomprehensible (but critical) gibberish. I'm convinced that dealing with it over so many years has given me some kind of brain damage.

Last edited:

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Lol learn Cobol and go into the financial industry. It's miserable work, but you'll never, ever be out of work.

John Furrman

they should have sent a poet
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rx (Reactive) programming is probably one of the best libraries and design pattern I’ve ever used to develop. Observables in RxJS are so much better than Promises and it kills me every time i see a Promise wrapping an observable in production code. Nearly everything in Angular is an Observable and yet the other devs fight against it with JS async/await instead of learning the design pattern. It’s extremely clean to use one flat RxJS chain to accomplish an operation instead of 4 Promises nested inside each other.

Unassuming Local Guy

Friendly and affectionate
kiwifarms.net
I know when I explain how something works to a friend or a layman and they exclaim "Wow that's so complex or something I can't even begin to understand", I know I've fucked up and it's prone to errors.
This is why I hate Stack Overflow so much. Someone will ask the exact question I have, and it'll get several answers with dozens or hundreds of updoots that are just complete horseshit. They'll "solve the problem" by creating a new class that extends another new class and is then cast to an interface and requires multiple threads and asynctasks etc. etc. and all the morons on the site go "wow, such complex, this deserves an upvote because I assume it's good". Half the time it's riddled with basic, obvious errors, as if they didn't even bother pasting it into an IDE to see if anything turns red before shitting it onto the internet. They all have this idea that complex equals good, and more complex equals gooder.

Ultimately I get fed up with all these obviously incorrect solutions and struggle it out on my own, eventually coming up with something that's like four lines long and takes a handful of CPU cycles. I'm not even particularly good at coding, it just seems like everyone on the internet is conspiring to applaud the spaghettiest code they can find as some sort of joke.

Least Concern

Pretend I have a festive avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
I want to learn programming as a hobby but I don't want to become tranny. What should I do?
I'd love for someone to do a survey of programming languages and sexualities and see which ones correspond the most. I suspect JavaScript is first with Ruby a distant second.

Learn C and/or C++. High utility; relatively few neovaginas.

Considered HARMful

kiwifarms.net
I'd love for someone to do a survey of programming languages and sexualities and see which ones correspond the most. I suspect JavaScript is first with Ruby a distant second.
Definitely JavaScript and Python.
I want to learn programming as a hobby but I don't want to become tranny. What should I do?
Any ideas what would you like to program? Webpages? Some small hardware stuff? Games? Don't know?

Last edited:

Considered HARMful

kiwifarms.net
Game modding or silly little file IO batch/script with very specific application only for me. Webpage is nice too but I have zero creativity.
I think the language most used in game modding is still Lua, which is kinda exceptional, but there you go - not that you have much choice on what a particular game throws at you. For small time scripting you'll most likely want to go the Python route, which is a language I utterly despise for Serious Programming™, but is fine for glue.