Programming thread -

TheDrivelBroadcast

Bouncing autism off the Ionosphere.
kiwifarms.net
I'm thinking ahead a little about all this stuff I'm learning and what I want to do with it.

Currently I'm doing an MS in Biotechnology but the field is plagued with a Ph.D. oversupply AND a glass ceiling. For every post and permadoc that whines about never being able to get a tenure-track position, there are probably 10 BS and MS level employees that will never be considered for a entry level scientist position, no matter how many years of experience they have. The ones that do did so before the Ph.D. bubble reached critical mass and stayed at their particular company for a decade or more.

I wanted to get into Bioinformatics because of the shift in the industry towards personalized medicine, but alas the computer side of things is also stung with the "You have to have a Ph.D. and seven million years of experience in a completely niche field" miasma. Also, thinking about myself personally, I'm fast approaching the middle of my thirties and I can't help but think, "Why would anyone hire you when they could hire someone a decade younger with more experience or a Pajeet?"
Perhaps the management side of things could be an option? Young programmers straight out of uni often have no experience in the business world, but are great on the theory side. Someone who understands both the nerds and the managers would be fairly valuable, imo.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Least Concern

Meat Poultry Veg

The staff of life
kiwifarms.net
Since I'm using Linux for class, I re-installed R in my Ubuntu 18.0X drive.

Works fine so far. I was confused at first that -> was not calling my variables but tried = instead. It worked.

Code:
> names = c("Leonardo", "Raphael", "Michelangelo", "Donatello")
> colors = c("blue", "red", "orange", "purple")
> weapons = c("katana", "sai", "nunchaku", "bo")
> descriptor = c("leader", "asshole", "dudebro", "nerd")
> NinjaTurtles = data.frame(names, colors, weapons, descriptor)
> NinjaTurtles
         names colors  weapons descriptor
1     Leonardo   blue   katana     leader
2      Raphael    red      sai    asshole
3 Michelangelo orange nunchaku    dudebro
4    Donatello purple       bo       nerd
EDIT: Disregard sentence 3, I'm a tard.

Code:
> idiot <- c("Me")
> idiot
[1] "Me"

Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: SkeletonBias420

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
I'm trying to figure out why someone would still be using vi over vim, assuming that they had the choice between only those two.
Feel free to substitute the vi-like editor of your choice for the "vi" in the comic, and same for emacs.
Anyone ever bought a text editor? If so, why?
Yes. I bought the editor I use for web development on my Mac. (Pardon me for not specifically naming it for dox avoidance reasons… it's hard to explain.) It has paid for itself many times over in terms of increased productivity. Yes, there are plenty of free alternatives, but the particular one I use is a proper Cocoa Mac application that integrates well with the rest of my system (unlike the Java or Electron nonsense of IntelliJ IDEA or Atom/VSCode). And the amount I paid for it is really nothing compared to how much money I've made by using it.

Splendid Meat Sticks

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@AnOminous That's a word processor. It's not unusual to pay for Word, MS Office has Libre Office beat hands down.
I'm surprised that a lawyer like you isn't a WordPerfect autist though.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
@AnOminous That's a word processor. It's not unusual to pay for Word, MS Office has Libre Office beat hands down.
I'm surprised that a lawyer like you isn't a WordPerfect autist though.
I used to be but the only time I've needed a specific one it's been Word unfortunately. And that's a context where it would be embarrassing, to say the least, to get caught using pirated software. I'm not sure how it would happen but it would.

Outside of that, though, I'm likely just to use vi or even Notepad and just paste chunks into a word processor for finishing up.

Splendid Meat Sticks

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
the only time I've needed a specific one it's been Word unfortunately
That's because it's dead outside of the legal industry. Go ask an accountant if they even know what that shit is. If they're less than about 35, they won't know what it is.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
That's because it's dead outside of the legal industry. Go ask an accountant if they even know what that shit is. If they're less than about 35, they won't know what it is.
Believe me, I know my dead word processors. Remember WordStar? I used to have a 30 pound lugtop brand I don't even remember with that shit built in.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
You mean it had that shit built into the ROM or something?
Pretty sure it was floppies. It was some CP/M thing. I seriously have never been able to figure out what manufacturer it was. It was "portable" which meant you could carry it around but it weighed something like 30 pounds.

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Pretty sure it was floppies. It was some CP/M thing. I seriously have never been able to figure out what manufacturer it was. It was "portable" which meant you could carry it around but it weighed something like 30 pounds.
Was it one of those luggables that looked something like this?

Edit: Or perhaps an Osborne 1, even older, but apparently supported CP/M out of the box?

Splendid Meat Sticks

Castigat ridendo mores
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The reason you can't find the manufacturer is probably because it was made by one company, but then rebranded (possibly with a somewhat modified case) by another.
Do your remember how many floppy drives it had and what color the screen displayed?

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The reason you can't find the manufacturer is probably because it was made by one company, but then rebranded (possibly with a somewhat modified case) by another.
Do your remember how many floppy drives it had and what color the screen displayed?
I think it might have been a Kaypro although none of the ones I've found are exactly the same. I believe it had two 5 1/4" drives, I think it might have run CP/M, and I think it was green mono.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino